Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caro might be on the money this time..
This has been on the agenda for a while. The Club has been emphasising the conflict with his 2 boys and the difficulties that poses. SOS has a difficult decision to make but it is his to make. On the agenda before the trade period.

This has been on the agenda for a while. The Club has been emphasising the conflict with his 2 boys and the difficulties that poses. SOS has a difficult decision to make but it is his to make.

If I was North or Gold Coast I’d be making a godfather offer. His list build at GWS looks pretty good, his build at Carlton as well.

Maybe he is a build kind of list manager and not a maintain one.

Caro might be on the money this time..

Would be extremely disappointed if it is true as the article states that SOS had others interfering during trade period.

Have we not learnt anything from past mistakes? Not happy with this news at all.

What more could SOS have done during his time.

Let him do his job that he is employed to do, Cain!

Ah man...Barass is always right

Shitload of accountability in the club is a good thing, not sure what else he could have done though besides pick better with later picks which is funny because we used to be able to nail late picks and blow the good ones consistently.

Recruitment and list management seems to be the most unstable area of the club. Not sure if that’s consistent across the comp, just hope if the best we’ve had this century is replaced with someone as good or better. Very subjective position though
I dont agree with this, anything after the first 2 rounds is pretty much a lottery. SOS has done pretty well considering
2015 - jack silvagni
2016 - macredie and williamson - both been injured but shown a lot of potential
2017 - TDK
2018 - Ben Silvagni

guys I don't know how to call up old posts. But I mentioned this and his replacement from Perth 5 Months ago. My info came form a friend who worked under Walls ( his possible replacement, i may have even called him Wells in my old post) at Freo. Not chest beating etc. Just want to confirm that his exit plan was agreed upon on long time ago. he is not getting pushed he has just had enough.

This has since been confirmed from other sources.

guys I don't know how to call up old posts. But I mentioned this and his replacement from Perth 5 Months ago. My info came form a friend who worked under Walls ( his possible replacement, i may have even called him Wells in my old post) at Freo. Not chest beating etc. Just want to confirm that his exit plan was agreed upon on long time ago. he is not getting pushed he has just had enough.

If Walls son gets the job because of his father, it proves we havent come very far.

What do you mean by he's just had enough? Sick of carlton? Bored of working?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be surprised if our CEO would come to the conclusion that SOS should be doing better.

Young players he has drafted are showing signs of becoming really good players as they hit their typical maturity age. Tick.

His hit and miss rate are as good as the best of them. Tick.

Our rebuild seems to be on track. Tick.

He's had some really good mature age players show interest in coming to us only for things to be foiled by the AFL of all things and the players own club holding them for reasons outside of our control.

There are a lot of clubs out there who need to recruit to take the next step and failed to recruit anyone this trade period and no mention of them. Failed to get significant interest from players wanting to go to their club and then there are clubs who lost good players. Crickets.

By the time this year's draft is done, we will have recruited at least three senior players (Betts, Pittonett, Martin) for pretty much nothing and drafted at least one more talented youngster (Pick 9 and the rest).

I think it's a real credit to the club and SOS that guys like Martin, Wines, Paplet etc wanted to come to us. That's SOS' job, to get them wanting to come to us. If their respective clubs don't want to deal then that can't be helped.

Only if we get to the end of next season and find that these young midfielders can't play should we start to question our recruiting. We're under pressure for Dow, O'Brien, Stocker, Setterfield, SPS, Fisher, Kennedy and Cuningham to become good AFL players. Not all but most need to become good AFL players next year. Let's judge SOS on them.

We're probably going to get to the end of next year and find that Wines and Papley (among others) will be wanting to come to Carlton and we will likely get at least one of those deals done and we will also experience a fair group of young players maturing and becoming good players and Silvagni's position as recruiter will be looking solid.

Caro doesn't know what she's talking about, she's just doing her thing and writing negative sensationalist opinion pieces.
Couldn't rate this more highly. I think of all the kids you listed the only one that concerns me is Dow. I'd have said O'Brien until I saw him thrive under Teague in the last half of the year. The rest of them have shown plenty (except Stocker but that's way too early to make a call there) that you have to call it a pass mark. You can't rate SOS's strike rate on trading based on all players as many were GWS packaged players that he took to get a key player on the cheap (eg. Plowman, Marchbank). If Phillips is the only one off that pile who turned out its probably a win and he's effectively been on traded as a back up 28 year old ruckman for a 23 year old from a very, very good football club. It's hard to make a call on Pickett whether SOS can be held with any sort of accountability for that not working out and Bugg was probably one you can say was a poor call. As for getting a big name player that's where the assessment lies. Shiel, Coniglio and now Papley. You expect Martin to go through still. Coniglio certainly seems like AFL intervention and no CEO of a league should be making comment about where he wants a player to play and probably pulling strings accordingly to ensure he is remunerated and stays where is best for the league. You can't fight city hall and you can't win that battle. Similarly I think Martin was also mismanaged by the AFL telling them to "play hard ball, stand up for yourself at the trade table" but not actually telling them they still need to get a trade done. That's sounds a little conspiratorial but it's how it feels to me. It was just incompetence on the behalf of GCS. Papley, well, that hinged on the Bombers so again out of SOS's hands really the Swans werent going to go into 2020 unless they had either Daniher or Papley. You're losing a top 6 player. So really you can only look at SOS in terms of Shiel, but now players are wanting to come. Whether that's SOS or Teague or a cohesion of both and finally getting all the right off field elements correct that players want to come that's the question. I for one rate SOS but he will need to land a big fish next year there's no question.

What do you mean by he's just had enough? Sick of carlton? Bored of working?
No wants to enjoy life take care of his many business interest and watch and let his sons progress and develop without the added pressure. If there is anything deeper than that I don't know. My source hear doesn't not like to discuss footy outside the club.

This has been on the agenda for a while. The Club has been emphasising the conflict with his 2 boys and the difficulties that poses. SOS has a difficult decision to make but it is his to make. On the agenda before the trade period.
One boy has made his job fairly easy. Jack had a breakout year and there is no issues there. If calls need to be made on his other two boys it will be interesting and I don't see how Ben Silvagni gets into the squad with the forward line we have.

I will forever be grateful for what SOS has done.

As a player it goes without saying, but what he has done since returning should not be underestimated.

If he steps aside now I will be disappointed, but that is his right.

If he is pushed I will be furious.
Definitely not pushed, but form what I read into it Liddle is ruthless in regards to accountability, performance and KPI's. SOS is fully dedicated to the cause but doesn't need a statistician putting unwanted pressure on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back