Universal Love Welcome to Carlton Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys are in very safe hands and congratulations on a fantastic appointment. Although it was a short stint, this guy brought our club out of the fire including overseeing the overhaul of the football department, getting the salary cap back in order etc. He moulded a successful era of Collingwood and that 23' premiership would not be in the cabinet without him.

This isn't much to go off, regarding CEO experience, he stepped in as interim CEO when Mark Anderson resigned in 2022. At that point he was CEO, List Manager and Head of Football.

Last edited:
Wright starts on Monday... how long will it take him to think Lloyd is out of his depth?

It's really hard to assess those types of roles from the outside. My read is we have sacked alot of coaches so now everyone wants to blame anyone but the coach, so the finger gets pointed at Lloyd.

Not saying Lloyd is the right man for the job. Just that we don't really know. Voss has alot of defenders. Russell did. But there's not much love for Lloyd.

People seem excited by the prospect of replacing him with Jimmy Bartel. Jimmy is a well spoken former gun player who held a part time role board role. Would have involved some stakeholder management and general advice. Not sure how that qualifies him to run a football department of 50+ people. Compare his resume to Lloyd's and its apples and oranges.

I trust GW to make the right call.

Same concerns but its a well worn path though.

Just off the top of my head Craig Vozzo (Essendon), Tom Harley (Sydney), Craig Kelly (Collingwood), Brendan Gale (Richmond), Simon Garlick (Freo) are all CEOs that have really come through footy player/footy ops pathway into the CEO chair.

Don’t think any of them spent extensive time in businesses or head of businesses outside the AFL bubble (maybe Kelly as he ran his own business). I would think Wright would be as credentialed on that front as any of them, especially with another year under Cook.

But like any coaching appointment it’s going to be about the team and who he surrounds himself with to get the best outcome for the club.
Yep. It can also just be about pairing football people with obvious intelligence to roles that can expand their sphere of influence. Dunstall can be added to your list - did a year as CEO at Hawthorn, selected Clarkson as their new senior coach, that worked out pretty well for them.

If Wright is a smart guy in clubland, and all the evidence suggests that he is (well regarded by well-run Clubs), the rising tide of his appointment should float all boats at our Club. Not to say we can't "succeed" in diminishing his reputation (Pagan, Malthouse, Buttifant, Andrew Russell, the list goes on and on), but in this case, I am optimistic...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's really hard to assess those types of roles from the outside. My read is we have sacked alot of coaches so now everyone wants to blame anyone but the coach, so the finger gets pointed at Lloyd.

Not saying Lloyd is the right man for the job. Just that we don't really know. Voss has alot of defenders. Russell did. But there's not much love for Lloyd.

People seem excited by the prospect of replacing him with Jimmy Bartel. Jimmy is a well spoken former gun player who held a part time role board role. Would have involved some stakeholder management and general advice. Not sure how that qualifies him to run a football department of 50+ people. Compare his resume to Lloyd's and its apples and oranges.

I trust GW to make the right call.

Good call. Lloyd undoubtedly has strengths and weaknesses - it shouldn't be a case of declaring him crap now and therefore he's crap forever and should be sacked. Someone like Cook hasn't gotten to where he is by just sacking people til someone shows up and does the job well - you hire good people, put them in positions that suit them, and then continue to develop them personally and professionally so they can meet their potential.

People here treat club staff like they do players. Give them a year or two (if they're lucky), then declare them either the next coming of Jesus or a complete waste of space.

You guys are in very safe hands and congratulations on a fantastic appointment. Although it was a short stint, this guy brought our club out of the fire including overseeing the overhaul of the football department, getting the salary cap back in order etc. He moulded a successful era of Collingwood and that 23' premiership would not be in the cabinet without him.

This isn't much to go off, regarding CEO experience, he stepped in as interim CEO when Mark Anderson resigned in 2022. At that point he was CEO, List Manager and Head of Football.
Yep, thought he was running the show there as the fill-in CEO (and every other role) pre-Ned.
He then garnered his preference to move up to a CEO role permanently = hello, Carlton.

Edit: for about 3-4 months

Pies supporters make me laugh. Wright goes for their CEO job and misses out to Kelly. Tries to work with Kelly but falls out with him (probably because he wasn't racist enough for Kelly's liking).

Another CEO's job comes up at a big club with the chance to learn with Cook for a year. Kelly's successful. Pies supporters "he's dead to me".

Does anyone think that cats supporters are petty enough to hate Tom Harley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Carlton Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back