Play Nice The CAS Appeal thread - update: appeal fails (11/10/16)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any chance that the Swiss can remove this discount and the players end up with an extra year off? Or can they only dismiss or confirm the previous decision?

No chance.

On the primary grounds of appeal, appealing the process, i.e. should not have been de nova it be dismissing the appeal, basically resetting the clock to the moment the AFL appeal was handed down, also a chance the Swiss court could rehear it themselves. This is based on the two previous appeals where the Swiss court found there was no legal basis for the way CAS handled the appeal (FIFA contract cases). Suppose it could be argued that if the case gets reheard the case they could resentenced making this possible, but a lot of ifs here, i.e IF players win appeal, IF WADA appeals again, IF WADA wins again, IF CAS/Swiss court rejects previous arguments for backdating.

The two secondary grounds, appealing the decision, which boil down to not being heard individually and penalty was to harsh would get sent back to CAS to get addressed, as happened with the 7 other successful appeals including the one Anti-doping one, in each case CAS reissued the award providing additional reasoning but decision did not change. Even if decision did change it would be addressing the issues so lowering the penalty not increasing it.

Last edited:
November is the latest update ...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...peal-verdict-in-november-20160907-grb4k8.html

CAS secretary-general Matthieu Reeb, however, has November pencilled in for the ruling date.

"The AFL is a party to the procedure and should have all necessary documents and information related to this matter," said Reeb who added he is certain the verdict will be announced before the end of this year.

"Yes, on the basis of my experience of the SFT [Swiss Federal Tribunal] procedures, I would say November 2016," Reeb told Fairfax Media.

"I would be surprised if the final judgment would not be issued prior to the end of the year."

November is the latest update ...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...peal-verdict-in-november-20160907-grb4k8.html

CAS secretary-general Matthieu Reeb, however, has November pencilled in for the ruling date.

"The AFL is a party to the procedure and should have all necessary documents and information related to this matter," said Reeb who added he is certain the verdict will be announced before the end of this year.

"Yes, on the basis of my experience of the SFT [Swiss Federal Tribunal] procedures, I would say November 2016," Reeb told Fairfax Media.

"I would be surprised if the final judgment would not be issued prior to the end of the year."
Chief will be happy. That wine cellar is all but paid for now. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice The CAS Appeal thread - update: appeal fails (11/10/16)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back