The Casual Dreamteamer

Remove this Banner Ad

I was wondering if their are any like me out there, and if so, have you enjoyed footy more

It has been the other way round for me.......DT has made me enjoy footy alot more.

In 2007 when i started DT i considered myself an avid football fan and a football lover but since being introduced to DT i have found that i appreciate football - particularly the finer points of the game (Tactics, coaching, player development etc) - alot more than i used to. Before starting DT i definitely loved AFL but aside from watching all the televised games - and the occasional match online - and clicking onto the website once or twice a week i didn't have too much to do with the sport. Now i'm definitely a much more passionate football fan.

So an affection for football prompted me to take up DT and since DT has made me enjoy football alot more.

As for being a casual DT'er, i definitely was a casual dream teamer in 2007 when i really played just for fun and traded with gay abandon (ran out by round 18 but IIRC i had only 1 left by round 12 or 13) but somehow fluked an OK ranking. By Last season - before I went on holiday about halfway through the season - i was already addicted to DT and my addiction has grown even stronger since joining BigFooty.

Anyway for the rest of the season i'll be a casual DT'er again as i'm going overseas. As for next year, who knows - i could still be a committed DT'er or i could become a casual DT'er again.

Anyone who reads the Bigfooty DT board is more than a casual dreamteamer IMO ;).

Yeah, I think this is true. If you're reading this forum then I don't think you could be considered a casual DT'er.

When I first started playing dreamteam four years ago, I only knew the names of players from my own team, and the "popular" players. Now I could probably give you a best 22 from each team :D.

I consider myself highly obsessed.

Yeah, I think this is true. If you're reading this forum then I don't think you could be considered a casual DT'er.

When I first started playing dreamteam four years ago, I only knew the names of players from my own team, and the "popular" players. Now I could probably give you a best 22 from each team :D.

I consider myself highly obsessed.

+1:thumbsu:

lol footycool, loving the 'go and bag someone else'. Good to see a fighting spirit. And yes I also to find it hard to believe that someone can be a casual dreamteamer, but go on sites like this...

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from the way this year has gone.

For example those who picked Chapman or Rob Murphy would at this stage be laughing but they could easily have been crying; the durability God works in mysterious ways.

This forum has gotten very quiet since round 10+ when it was possible to be all out of trades.

I think that is the casual dreamteamer. Someone that will burn their team into the ground to stay high up early.

Anybody that makes any kind of long term plan is DT nerd.

I must admit I do check in here most days though, but I'm over most of the discussions and mathematical analysis(which is largely erroneous at best). I still make solid trade choices though, I would like a top 5000 finish ;)

Amen brother.

I was never into that side of things. It never failed to amaze me how some people could overanalyse it as though football is a game that can be distilled down to a formula. Sure, analysis is good up to a point but it's not the be all and end all.

I didn't read this forum at all this year and I've gone much better than last year. I've made some mistakes, but at least they're mine and not a product of listening to someone else's rubbish. It was a real eye opener for me to see how poorly some of the most vocal "analysis and self stylised DT guru" guys ended up finishing last year.

There's some great posters on this board but unfortunately (or fortunately perhaps ;)) they don't tend to post that often.. relatively speaking.

Amen brother.

I was never into that side of things. It never failed to amaze me how some people could overanalyse it as though football is a game that can be distilled down to a formula. Sure, analysis is good up to a point but it's not the be all and end all.

I didn't read this forum at all this year and I've gone much better than last year. I've made some mistakes, but at least they're mine and not a product of listening to someone else's rubbish. It was a real eye opener for me to see how poorly some of the most vocal "analysis and self stylised DT guru" guys ended up finishing last year.

There's some great posters on this board but unfortunately (or fortunately perhaps ;)) they don't tend to post that often.. relatively speaking.

I think you should name names on that one.

The whole idea of a forum is to share ideas and thoughts. I have my own ideas about things but that does not mean I disregard others, in fact I am very grateful to those that do share.

The formulae you are speaking about are not always football related - with price fluctuations etc there is a lot of formula which can be used to better understand DT.

In terms of football seeing a chart that shows someone's decline in the second half of the year for example doesn't mean you make decision based on that - it is someone's perspective and it is up to you how you interpret, analyse or use (or ignore) that information. I agree it is not the be all and end all but I have never met someone who says it is. But the fact that someone puts an effort into participating should not be ridiculed, but appreciated. That is the type of forum I think we all want.

In terms of making your own mistakes - I am glad you make your own. Anyone who tries to blame anyone else is really not taking responsiblilty and certainly not enjoying the game the way they should. But I think saying "listening to someone else's rubbish" is unnecessarily harsh and I would question why you visit here at all if that is your attitude.

I just think it is far better to be open minded, accept and contribute to dicussion which may involve opinions you don't necessarily agree with and broaden your understanding of all things footy related. Even if you are a "casual dreamteamer".

I think you should name names on that one.

Oh yes. That would achieve a lot. :rolleyes:

The whole idea of a forum is to share ideas and thoughts. I have my own ideas about things but that does not mean I disregard others, in fact I am very grateful to those that do share.

You're one of the good ones then. Well done. Keep it up. :thumbsu:

The formulae you are speaking about are not always football related - with price fluctuations etc there is a lot of formula which can be used to better understand DT.

I know. Wasn't talking about those ones.

In terms of football seeing a chart that shows someone's decline in the second half of the year for example doesn't mean you make decision based on that - it is someone's perspective and it is up to you how you interpret, analyse or use (or ignore) that information. I agree it is not the be all and end all but I have never met someone who says it is.

I would have though most people wouldn't put that much effort into "number crunching" if they didn't think it was pretty important stuff.. unless they just wanted to sound clever that is. :eek:

In terms of making your own mistakes - I am glad you make your own. Anyone who tries to blame anyone else is really not taking responsiblilty and certainly not enjoying the game the way they should.

Agreed. I wasn't talking about blaming anyone though. Sometimes it's easy to be caught up in the hype or convinced by numbers when you should really be going with your gut even if you can't quite articulate (or can't be bothered articulating) your reasons with a heap of stats.

But I think saying "listening to someone else's rubbish" is unnecessarily harsh and I would question why you visit here at all if that is your attitude.

Okay maybe that was a bit harsh. I did have a certain poster in mind when I wrote that. The main reasons I've visited here this season are to see how the leagues are going, check the Last Man Standing thread (while I was in it) and the teamsheets when they come in. I'll occasionally scan the threads for anything mildly amusing too.

I just think it is far better to be open minded, accept and contribute to dicussion which may involve opinions you don't necessarily agree with and broaden your understanding of all things footy related. Even if you are a "casual dreamteamer".

Good on you. :thumbsu:

I think mathematical analysis is useful as far as calculating the value of a trade. For example it is fairly easy to predict - and incredibly easy to evaluate in hindsight - whether a trade will be/was beneficial overall. Just look at the points gained and compare to all your other trades.

In terms of predictive value, statistics also tell a lot, but not everything - some things eg Duffield cannot be predicted. But guys like Jono Brown and Riewoldt have well known trends that are difficult to disregard.

I agree that watching a game does wonders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yes. That would achieve a lot. :rolleyes:

I did have a certain poster in mind when I wrote that :

Don't like naming names eh. So you can't name one "guru" who ranked poorly. Not that anyone cares about the ranking, but you have made that part of your post so you should back it up.

You don't want to, that's fine, but then there is no need to refer to these posters to make a point.

Don't like naming names eh. So you can't name one "guru" who ranked poorly. Not that anyone cares about the ranking, but you have made that part of your post so you should back it up.

You don't want to, that's fine, but then there is no need to refer to these posters to make a point.

I just don't see the point in naming names.. but yes I could if I wanted to obviously. Do you really think I'd just come in and say something like that off the bat without having any reason to? I don't want to single anyone out as I don't think it would be fair and I don't really want to get into an argument with anyone as it would serve no purpose. You can make of that what you will but I certainly won't be goaded into doing it. If people can't make up their own minds about the value of certain poster's material that's their problem.

I can't see the validity in your assertion that nobody cares about the ranking. Surely if someone puts themselves out there as someone who knows a lot about DT and does a lot of analytical type posting and then finishes outside the top 5000 you'd have to wonder what went wrong. It couldn't be all bad luck. Did they not take their own advice or are their analyses inherently erroneous? Furthermore, why would anyone bother to ask their opinion, or listen to their advice if they didn't care about improving their own ranking?

Overall ranking is the reason most serious DT'ers play so to say that nobody cares about it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

People play for different reasons.

I'm happy to leave it at that, I am just legitimately interested in which stats analysers surprised you with their poor rankings but that's fine.

OK...I have just seperated from my wife so I have decided to going back to being a serious Dreamteamer.
Bring on 5pm to get the teamsheets!!!!

Surely if someone puts themselves out there as someone who knows a lot about DT and does a lot of analytical type posting and then finishes outside the top 5000 you'd have to wonder what went wrong. It couldn't be all bad luck. Did they not take their own advice or are their analyses inherently erroneous? Furthermore, why would anyone bother to ask their opinion, or listen to their advice if they didn't care about improving their own ranking?

But it does play into it a lot!

Ottens -> Hille -> Cox. That particular combo, whilst not bad moves (maybe starting with Ottens based on his injury history), would cost you a truck load of points in zeros and trades. Does that happening make someone a bad player?

Injuries alone can be the difference between a top 100 finish and a top 10,000 finish.

But it does play into it a lot!

Ottens -> Hille -> Cox. That particular combo, whilst not bad moves (maybe starting with Ottens based on his injury history), would cost you a truck load of points in zeros and trades. Does that happening make someone a bad player?

Injuries alone can be the difference between a top 100 finish and a top 10,000 finish.

It plays some part sure and that combo you listed would be horrific. :D You'd have to be pretty damn unlucky though for injuries alone to mean the difference between top 100 and top 10000.. and if it was the case, I'm sure you'd hear about it from the coach.

PS - Your website rules mate. Use it all the time. :thumbsu:

Finished in the top 600 last year, making many erroneous trades. This year, I dropped from 31st in Round 3 to the wrong end of the Top 10,000, and I am now sitting just outside of the Top 6,000. In SC, I picked my team in about 5 minutes and I'm hanging around the Top 300 with 5 trades remaining.

I don't think the effect of a poor initial squad can be understated, and it is an issue that every DT'er (good and bad, talented or not) can fall susceptible to. To state that any DT'er who is a bad year must be a bad DT'er is laughable. I fell foul of a poor initial squad; not enough midranged keepers has forced me to be brutally efficient with my trades (which I have been to my best ability) but at the end of the day, it just isn't enough. There are enough lineball decisions that I fell foul of (Scotland over Enright, Simmonds over McIntosh, Tuck over Hasleby, Broughton over Suban (needed back cover early) etc etc) that can quite easily cost anyone (yes, even the experienced DT'er) thousands of points and several trades, and I don't think that this is exclusive to poor DT'ers.

OK...I have just seperated from my wife so I have decided to going back to being a serious Dreamteamer.
Bring on 5pm to get the teamsheets!!!!

You mean you stopped being a serious DTer? For love? that's romantic.

Good to have you back :thumbsu:

In all seriousness I am sorry to hear that and hope it all works out. Very funny post - hopefully you meant it to be.

I don't think the effect of a poor initial squad can be understated, and it is an issue that every DT'er (good and bad, talented or not) can fall susceptible to.

No it certainly can't. I think it's the most crucial thing, especially when it comes to the rookie selections which you either seem to need ESP or a truckload of luck to get 100% right before the first round. I've certainly never managed to do it yet.

To state that any DT'er who is a bad year must be a bad DT'er is laughable.

Pretty sure I didn't state that and yes it is laughable.

No it certainly can't. I think it's the most crucial thing, especially when it comes to the rookie selections which you either seem to need ESP or a truckload of luck to get 100% right before the first round. I've certainly never managed to do it yet.

I think rookie selection is certainly important but I think the structure is what's really vital here. I personally put in alot of time to research all the young guys this year reading a hell of alot of articles/training reports/BF team boards etc. to see who would be this years best rookies and in the end I think I ended up with just about the best possible rookies to start with.

Hill and Suban on the bench in the backs. 4 rookies in the midfield, Rich and Otten starting with Anthony and Beams on the bench. Ziebell on the field in the forward line with Walker and Brown on the bench. Anthony going down before round 1 really hurt, but obviously wasn't to know. As it turned out though I had a few guys go down early with injury/form and thus was playing 5-6 rookies most weeks; guys like S.Buckley/Bock, Raines, Houlihan, Skipworth, Krakouer, Ablett etc. all going down with injuries/form at some stage of the season and needing cover. So although my inital team setup looked very strong starting who I thought to be the 3 best rookies - (Ziebell, Rich, Otten) who I thought would be the most consitent/highest scoring; once I copped a few injuries here and there it turned into a nightmare really, clearly the structure just wasn't right. Probably the biggest lesson i've learned this year is that rookies are better utilised purely as bench cover (yes it really did take me this long skank :D), usually they will end up on your field most weeks anyway due to injuries/suspension/form - and if not great, they're sitting there making moolah!

Going back on your older points about those who preach alot but don't back it up with a good ranking, I suppose I would fall into this category over the past two years finishing ~15k last year and sitting at about 4,500 this year. Although I could (and have) easily blamed my bad rankings on injuries and bad luck I agree that there is obviously more to it than that. It's the same as saying that guys like Skank and Ausyid finish top 100 every year through pure luck, they're obviously doing something else right! ...actually, nah they're just lucky bastards. :p

Anywho, I don't think it's fair to simply say "you have a bad ranking you must obviously know nothing about DT" and therefore shouldn't give out advice. I think my football knowledge is fairly sound but just hasn't exactly translated over into DT the past two years, although this year isn't over yet. ;)

Alot of rambling going on there but hopefully some of my points got across.

I think rookie selection is certainly important but I think the structure is what's really vital here. I personally put in alot of time to research all the young guys this year reading a hell of alot of articles/training reports/BF team boards etc. to see who would be this years best rookies and in the end I think I ended up with just about the best possible rookies to start with.

Whilst I agree that rookie selection is important I think the one aspect that really makes a huge difference is the selection of "mid price improvers", which in my book is much harder to get "right" then it is with the rookie selection.

IMHO rookie selection at the start of the season has been getting somewhat easier in recent years (at least I found it easier), not entirely sure why, possibly due to the amount of good young talent and the amount of injuries to more senior players which as a result forces clubs to play more rookie whereas picking up mid price improvers who will cost you peanuts yet deliver scores in the region of what we expect from elite players is where you can gain the real advantage. Good mid price improvers can save you heaps of money at the start of the season and if they turn out really good then they could turn into keepers thus saving you more money and more importantly, valuable trades later on in the season.
Anywho, I don't think it's fair to simply say "you have a bad ranking you must obviously know nothing about DT" and therefore shouldn't give out advice. I think my football knowledge is fairly sound but just hasn't exactly translated over into DT the past two years, although this year isn't over yet. ;)

Alot of rambling going on there but hopefully some of my points got across.

I agree. You can't judge ones dt ability based on just their ranking.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Casual Dreamteamer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back