The Casual Dreamteamer

Remove this Banner Ad

Going back on your older points about those who preach alot but don't back it up with a good ranking, I suppose I would fall into this category over the past two years finishing ~15k last year and sitting at about 4,500 this year. Although I could (and have) easily blamed my bad rankings on injuries and bad luck I agree that there is obviously more to it than that. It's the same as saying that guys like Skank and Ausyid finish top 100 every year through pure luck, they're obviously doing something else right! ...actually, nah they're just lucky bastards. :p

Good point. :thumbsu:

Anywho, I don't think it's fair to simply say "you have a bad ranking you must obviously know nothing about DT" and therefore shouldn't give out advice. I think my football knowledge is fairly sound but just hasn't exactly translated over into DT the past two years, although this year isn't over yet. ;)

Once again, I agree and I don't think I ever said that.

It's the same as saying that guys like Skank and Ausyid finish top 100 every year through pure luck, they're obviously doing something else right! ...actually, nah they're just lucky bastards. :p

To be honest I think they've had a heap of luck. Seriously, this year they're both cracking under the pressure. The luck can only last so long before the more skilful BSE runs over the top of them.

No it certainly can't. I think it's the most crucial thing, especially when it comes to the rookie selections which you either seem to need ESP or a truckload of luck to get 100% right before the first round. I've certainly never managed to do it yet.

I do think that there is an element of luck to it though. For example, these were my rookie selections this year -

(Broughton, Hill)
Otten, Anthony (Robinson, Beams)
(Jacobs, Browne)
(Walker, Brown)

Looks decent right? Only substantial miss was Rich. But look how my season has travelled. Used the one LTI trade on Anthony to Zaharakis just before Zaha's third game. Picking Broughton from the start would have been a masterstroke, but by some unfortunate twist of fate his injury spurred several backline zeroes for me, making me wish that I'd chosen Suban instead, the player with the lower scoring propensity but not injured and playing games. I've traded in the right cash cows and cover (cashcows in Sidebottom, cover in Anthony, DeBoer, Ballantyne) but then I've also had some bad luck in this department; cashcow Hartlett gains a recurring hamstring injury, cover in McKernan breaks his arm at training after playing his first game and cover in Pearce pulls a hamstring.

But amidst all that, I could have still salvaged more than what I could have. I'm now running very low on trades, and I believe that this is no small part of the reason;

the one aspect that really makes a huge difference is the selection of "mid price improvers"

Here were my midpricers for this season -

Higgins - still in squad
Skipworth - traded Rnd 6 @ 250k
Tuck - traded Rnd 6 @ 282k
Houlihan - traded Rnd 7 @ 302k
Lucas - traded Rnd 8 @ 265k
Krak - traded Rnd 9 @ 275k
Raines - traded Rnd 12 @ 191k

Not couting Adcock. 7 midpricers, only the 1 keeper, which just isn't enough. I can only be so efficient with my trades, especially when injuries and omissions are running rife in my team. I put the majority of my lack of success this season down to the above - not enough price appreciation from not enough midpricers causing me to trade with 50-100k gains and leaving me short come the pointy end of the season. Throw in picks such as Scotland and Simmonds and you have a recipe for failure.

Not couting Adcock. 7 midpricers, only the 1 keeper, which just isn't enough. I can only be so efficient with my trades, especially when injuries and omissions are running rife in my team. I put the majority of my lack of success this season down to the above - not enough price appreciation from not enough midpricers causing me to trade with 50-100k gains and leaving me short come the pointy end of the season. Throw in picks such as Scotland and Simmonds and you have a recipe for failure.

That's my point exactly. IMO it's much harder to nail down the mid pricers than it is to nail the rookies. Such is life...:)

To be honest I think they've had a heap of luck. Seriously, this year they're both cracking under the pressure. The luck can only last so long before the more skilful BSE runs over the top of them.

Speaking of cracking pressure :D, I see we're playing each other in Div 11 this week.

IIRC you had some injury concerns.. did you get them sorted?

I just like the fact that CMan says I finish top 100 every year. Every year since 2008 maybe :p

BSE = Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy.

That is correct. Mad Cow. I am going to be run over by a mad cow.

Casual dreamteamer: (n.) A dreamteamer whose scores are generally okay, without being that great. They'll average in the range of 1600-1900 for the year and will either use all their trades in the first 15 Rounds or will still have 15 left when they check their team in Round 15, only to realise that they will no longer be able to use them all.

Casual dreamteamers rarely ever post in the coaches box. They only do so once or twice or year, coinciding with the week where they pull a 2200+ out of their ass to knock off thier league leader.

Their team will include at least three players from their own team, at least one of Dick, Johnson, Goldsack or Cox and several rookie-priced players who were never a chance at getting a game for their respective teams. They may have a retired player too.

They often forget to name emergencies and probably don't name a Vice Captain either. If they do then they believe that their Vice Captain scores them extra points.

Casual dreamteamer: (n.) A dreamteamer whose scores are generally okay, without being that great. They'll average in the range of 1600-1900 for the year and will either use all their trades in the first 15 Rounds or will still have 15 left when they check their team in Round 15, only to realise that they will no longer be able to use them all.

Casual dreamteamers rarely ever post in the coaches box. They only do so once or twice or year, coinciding with the week where they pull a 2200+ out of their ass to knock off thier league leader.

Their team will include at least three players from their own team, at least one of Dick, Johnson, Goldsack or Cox and several rookie-priced players who were never a chance at getting a game for their respective teams. They may have a retired player too.

They often forget to name emergencies and probably don't name a Vice Captain either. If they do then they believe that their Vice Captain scores them extra points.

Gold :thumbsu::D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A guy on the supercoach forum, is sitting 200 in DT, but 8000th in SC.

namely due to injuries that effected his SC team... :) So it definitely happens! :)

And thanks... always happy to hear that people use the thing! :D
*Butters, thats me!* http://api.ning.com/files/f3aLsG38i...LUL1ZIuAPH9c5/SM1101TheButtersShowPosters.jpg
XDonisGoodX trust me injuries play a major factor, I'm the example Walesy is using. I did a lot more research in SC over the pre-season, yet my DT is way better due to copping 4-5 more LTIs than I did in DT.

Dream Team: 193rd, all premium line-up, 4 trades remaining and $88,900 in the bank.

Super Coach: 4,577th, not an absolute premium and 0 trades remaining.
(up 3,503 this week thanks to a weekly rank of 43rd)

*Butters, thats me!* http://api.ning.com/files/f3aLsG38i...LUL1ZIuAPH9c5/SM1101TheButtersShowPosters.jpg
XDonisGoodX trust me injuries play a major factor, I'm the example Walesy is using. I did a lot more research in SC over the pre-season, yet my DT is way better due to copping 4-5 more LTIs than I did in DT.

Dream Team: 193rd, all premium line-up, 4 trades remaining and $88,900 in the bank.

Super Coach: 4,577th, not an absolute premium and 0 trades remaining.
(up 3,503 this week thanks to a weekly rank of 43rd)

:D Wasn't gunna name names, but there we go! :) Nice score this week by the way. :)

:D Wasn't gunna name names, but there we go! :) Nice score this week by the way. :)
Yeah, feels good when you don't get any sub 50 scores and all your premiums finally hit their marks, however I'm not expecting to get a whopping 2600+ score very often for the remainder of the year.

They are also significantly more likely to draft Scarlett, Glass, Hudghton, etc... on the basis that they are fantastic players, have AA's between them and OMG!!! They are so cheap!!!

They are also likely to keep the drafting of these players close to their chest - they have found the diamond in the rough that everyone else has glossed over...

They are also significantly more likely to draft Scarlett, Glass, Hudghton, etc... on the basis that they are fantastic players, have AA's between them and OMG!!! They are so cheap!!!.

They may also get confused by them scoring better (still only ok'ish) in Supercoach (Scarlett avg 75) and thinking they would score well in DT too.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Casual Dreamteamer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back