The Chosen Few - AFL Coaches Doco (9.30pm Ch 7Vic/SA/Perth, 10.30pm 7Mate NSW/Qld)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always thought that clubs should give the media more access to their operation to allow a more informed commentary of football in general. Of course clubs need to protect their IP but at the moment we have people in the media reporting on football who have no real idea what's going on. That includes both tactically On field and the operations of clubs.

The media space is ever increasing and it needs to be filled.

I felt for the poor guy who asked Clarko "how important is it to finish top 2". If that's indicative of the medias knowledge of football then something needs to change.
Not the brightest question. But those press conferences are largely fillers so the poor bloke can go back and write a few little quotes in an article. There wasn't any intent to catch Clarkson or to be a tool from the journo. So Clarko should've answered it pretty simply or at least with some humour. You can tell how tightly strung he is with how edgy it got him. Great whilst he's winning and you aren't going to hold it against him, he's not Mick level surly. But a few coaches could learn from Sheeds' comments about how to sell hope and interest between premierships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great stuff. Really revealing by the coaches. Good on them.

My thoughts on personalities
- John Kennedy, what a boss
- Oh Sando :(
- Bluey, I feel for you're time is running out
- Bucks, talks a lot about the future and what he's trying to build, the future is now! The future was 2010, why is there so much to build?
- Leppa! He's even got himself a Tami Roos sidekick
- Ross the freaking Boss. His sister dies and he just plows on. But he's also got a great sense of humour at other times
- Love Mick Malthouse when he laughs at the coding idea. The guy knows football. He doesn't need to over complicate it. I still can't believe he produce Neeld as a protege when he clearly basis so much of his coaching on his relationship with his players
- Chris Scott >>>> Brad Scott, every time they open their mouths. I'm sorry Brad but even your mum must know that

I kept trying to work out how much was my bias from obviously seeing their results, but I couldn't help but think Clarko, Hinkley, Lyon and Longmire are a cut above. These are guys who are totally sure of themselves. Yet at the same time they have a lot of confidence in their organisations.

Seriously, have a look at the list of players that have left the club since 2010. The only one to go any good since is Ceglar.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sanderson said not to show some stuff he said, but channel 7 ignored his wish.
no i heard on radio, that the final cut was shown to all the coaches to get their all clear, some stuff they said no too, but sando would have ok'd everything that was shown...

Who in their right mind would want to be a coach in todays football environment. and then throw in the media maggots and vultures like Barret... stuff that

- Have to say what they showed of Sando addressing the players pre game etc was completely uninspiring, if that was the standard he dished up it's no wonder he is gone. He spoke well to the camera though.

Yeah, I thought that clip perfectly illustrated the whole 'lost the players' thing.

Of all the coaches profiled, Sando looked out of his depth, sadly. There was also one other comment that stood out to me from that mafiaso-style gathering of the godfathers, which I posted on our board.

Definitely. One other comment stood out to me. When the old coaches were chatting, they all agreed that a great coach was the alpha male. When he walked into the room, he was the man, he demanded respect. He took no shit and was in charge.

That describes Clarkson, Lyon, Longmire, Roos - even Hinkley.

It does not, in any way, describe Sando.

All the 'poor Sando' comments in this thread - and since his sacking in the media - feel sorry for him because he's a nice guy. That was what he had going for him.

Agree with other comments that Sando was completely out of his depth and uninspiring.

Did find a new liking for Ross Lyon - always perceived him to be as boring as batshit and suspected he'd be a grade A prick.

Seems to have a great sense of humour and a good personality.

it was good viewing, love the honest behind scenes stuff. Documentaries get so much more out of people than interviews/press conferences. Sure alot of it ends up on the cutting room floor and that stuff would be really interesting.

Have always liked ross lyon and can see why players love him so much. Would be a really good guy to play for i reckon. He would ask alot of you but would also be able to realte to you, has a great personality.

Laughed at bucks hitting the desk then his reaction to the hardness of the desk. Even robert harvey's reaction was good as well to a few things in the box

Remove this Banner Ad

The Chosen Few - AFL Coaches Doco (9.30pm Ch 7Vic/SA/Perth, 10.30pm 7Mate NSW/Qld)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back