The Cold

Remove this Banner Ad

I was living in London over some of the last winter, and bloody hell it could get cold. Had a stretch of about 10 days where the high temperatures were hanging around 1°, and the lows around -4°. I know that's nothing in the grand scheme of things, but for a young lad who's lived his entire life in Australia, it was crazy cold.

But I'll still reaffirm that 6 degrees in Melbourne feels colder than 6 degrees in London. Just hits different for some reason.

I was living in London over some of the last winter, and bloody hell it could get cold. Had a stretch of about 10 days where the high temperatures were hanging around 1°, and the lows around -4°. I know that's nothing in the grand scheme of things, but for a young lad who's lived his entire life in Australia, it was crazy cold.

But I'll still reaffirm that 6 degrees in Melbourne feels colder than 6 degrees in London. Just hits different for some reason.
My first English winter taught me of the inadequacy of my wardrobe for actual cold weather.

My first English winter taught me of the inadequacy of my wardrobe for actual cold weather.
I went to Krakow with some mates in mid-January and we were very fortunate to be there when it was in a warm period. And by 'warm' I actually mean around 5° or so. Krakow can apparently get absurdly cold in January and mostly lives in the negatives, and here I am living out of a backpack and woefully underprepared. If it were any colder, I would've genuinely been ****ed.

I spent one Christmas in Europe and I thought the same thing.

Was expecting it to be really cold but the 10-15 degree days didn't feel as cold as the Melbourne ones do.

I love commenting to Poms about how cold it is some days ha ha "OH YOU DON'T KNOW BLOODY COLD STUPID AUSSIE"

I spent one Christmas in Europe and I thought the same thing.

Was expecting it to be really cold but the 10-15 degree days didn't feel as cold as the Melbourne ones do.
It would certainly vary from day to day. I've probably never felt the cold as bad as a windy day in Paris where it was probably 2° but it felt like -10° because it just cut through me. However, I distinctly remember walking to the gym in London during November in just shorts and a hoodie, getting a call from my mate and standing outside for like 20mins, and not even registering that it was 12° outside. It's about the same temperature in Melbourne right now and I'm freezing my nuts off outside.

Maybe its humidity or wind based? It was rarely that windy in London (compared to Melbourne) so that's what I put it down to.

It's about the same temperature in Melbourne right now and I'm freezing my nuts off outside.

Maybe its humidity or wind based? It was rarely that windy in London (compared to Melbourne) so that's what I put it down to.

I think it's the same with the warmer weather as well. People from America come here and say the sun feels hotter and I agree as I've been to America numerous times and 30 degree sunny days there feel more comfortable than the ones here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heading down to Melbourne tomorrow for 10 days. Guess I better pack warm? Meanwhile it was 26 here yesterday.

Maybe it's the native Tasmanian in me, but I always think Melbourne feels warmer than the temperature gauge tells you.

Unless the wind is up - that's what you've gotta watch for, is the icy winds that come from the north or from the south. So bring hoodies.

Getting ready to go I've realised that after twelve years of living in Central Queensland I now have two pairs of long pants to my name. I will need to either buy some more in Melbourne or hope my hotel room has a washing machine.

Getting ready to go I've realised that after twelve years of living in Central Queensland I now have two pairs of long pants to my name. I will need to either buy some more in Melbourne or hope my hotel room has a washing machine.
youll be fine. Wear shorts, people will think you're mad campaigner!

Heading down to Melbourne tomorrow for 10 days. Guess I better pack warm? Meanwhile it was 26 here yesterday.
Pack heavy.

Freaking Out George Costanza GIF

Melbourne isn't as cold as I thought it would be apart from at the footy on Saturday night at the G where it was bloody cold, especially at the end of the game when a chill went right through my heart.

Yes. I think temperatures aren’t the same in various places in the world. I mean it’s supposed to be standardised but one wonders that 10 here is diff to 10 say in LA
Air temperature is just one factor. Wind chill, humidity, and simply acclimatisation; even building standards (while inside); make a difference.
Taking the tube in London rather than waiting in the elements for a train, things like that make a difference to how cold you feel for how long.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Cold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back