The Collingwood 'never travels' myth...

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Seriously, I was going through the Robbo live blog replay and read this old gem from a shleb poster:

robbo any victorian team that plays 85% of its games in melbourne and hardly travels interstate that doesnt win the premiership is a joke.... any interstate team that plays that many games at home would be a walk up start to the prelims and beyond every year. magpies are pretenders not contenders. what is your reply thanks.

I'm seriously over this idea, that Collingwood travels less than everyone else.

2010:

Collingwood - 4 trips
Geelong - 5 trips (MORE than cancelled out by their 'interstate' advantage at Skilled people seem to forget about)
St.Kilda - 4 trips
Bulldogs - 5 trips (2 sold so actually only 3)
Hawthorn - 3 (7 with Aurora home games)
Carlton - 5 trips
Essendon - 3 trips
Richmond - 4 trips

This is all forgetting the fact that we have one of the BEST interstate records of any Victorian side, so giving us more insterstae games would only BENEFIT us.

All this forgetting that you can only play a maximum of SIX interstate games per year (unless you sell games). So we still play 4/6 which is the same as most and MORE than a few. And this is the same every year.

Imagine if we had Geelong's advantage and we coupld play Vic Park 6-8 times per year?

Seriously, it's bullshit this whole draw thing, and gets on my nerves more than any other topic related to Collingwood.

edit: Sorry Cats, 5 for Geelong.

People like to make things up to take shots at Collingwood, why is this surprising? Of course we don't travel any more often than any other Victorian team. What actually surprises me is how often interstate supporters pot us specifically, out of all the Victorian clubs, I have no idea why.

Well put together mate.

As is always said, anything to take a un-founded pot shot at Collingwood....I just ignore it these days.

robbo's a essendon tragic, its in his DNA to be negative to anything collingwood but seriously who cares the guy is an absolute tool. he is a typical sensationalist so called journalist

It actually wasn't Robbo who said that, I'm sorry I should have made my OP clearer. Will edit.

It was one of the shlebs.

any interstate team that plays that many games at home would be a walk up start to the prelims and beyond every year.

LOL does the idea that there are more Victorian sides than interstate sides appear in this individual's mind? How stupid do you have to be to not realise that?

If Collingwood was the only Victorian side in the AFL, and the MCG was the home of footy, and we played 11 to 16 games at the 'G every year, we'd be winning alot more premierships too.

Idiots. Seriously.

This should be on the main board so that everyone can finally realise how wrong they are.

Add to this the fact that we played 2 "home" games at etihad. WTF

My parents always bring this up and they are Lions supporters so I just take it and wait to smash them. Pity we didn't when we had the chance this year as i've been paying for it ever since......

This should be on the main board so that everyone can finally realise how wrong they are.

Add to this the fact that we played 2 "home" games at etihad. WTF

My parents always bring this up and they are Lions supporters so I just take it and wait to smash them. Pity we didn't when we had the chance this year as i've been paying for it ever since......

You obviously don't frequent the main board enough. Maybe a try a search and you'll realise how many threads are already on this topic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously where do these Collingwwod supporters come from.
Geelongs fixture this year, 2010, is
April 11th Subiaco
May 15th Gabba
June 5th Subiaco
July 16th AAMI
July 31st ANZ Stadium.

That makes five (5) games interstate. Yes thats right five games, one more than the four interstate games for Collingwood. So it is true that Collingwood travels less than other teams.
And Geelong might play 7 games at Skilled, because it does have a home ground,but no finals are played there. Therefore there is no advantage come September, which is the reason why the point is made about Collingwood.

Seriously where do these Collingwwod supporters come from.
Geelongs fixture this year, 2010, is
April 11th Subiaco
May 15th Gabba
June 5th Subiaco
July 16th AAMI
July 31st ANZ Stadium.

That makes five (5) games interstate. Yes thats right five games, one more than the four interstate games for Collingwood. So it is true that Collingwood travels less than other teams.
And Geelong might play 7 games at Skilled, because it does have a home ground,but no finals are played there. Therefore there is no advantage come September, which is the reason why the point is made about Collingwood.
Why aren't you complaining about Essendon? They travel three times.

Why aren't you complaining about Essendon? They travel three times.

Or Richmond and StKilda who are on an equal amount of interstate games. Hawthorn sells their games so who's fault is their draw? That and the fact theres only one game discrepency with the other vic teams so it's not that huge an advantage anyway. If you look at the teams we had to play this year any percieved travel advantage is more than cancelled out by an otherwise difficult draw. Essendon only travel 3 times yet they had an even harder draw than us.

Complaining, who is complaining?. Not me. Merely pointing out that the count was incorrect and that the Collingwood supporter couldn't count, which made his whole thread pointless.
Collingwood supporters may be a little sensitive on this matter perhaps.

I'm tired of explaining the deal the AFL struck to allow interstate teams to play home preliminary finals. That one is clearly beyond the comprehension of opposition supporters, they just can't process how that would work.

These days I look at it differently, I'm actually all for traveling more. Please punish us by sending us interstate for matches against WCE and Adelaide. That'll sort us right out. All we need is for two noble Victorian teams to give up their home game against us. Any takers?

Your 7 games at Skilled is a massive advantage and gives you a huge leg up to make finals, and top 4. It's not our fault finals are played at the MCG, it's our home ground, what do you want us to do? Move to Etihad?

Geelong has far, far, FAR more of an advantage than Collingwood ever will as far as the fixture goes, even if you travelled 6 times a year, so maybe you should get a clue.

Complaining, who is complaining?. Not me. Merely pointing out that the count was incorrect and that the Collingwood supporter couldn't count, which made his whole thread pointless.

Yeah a typo of one game for one club makes the entire thread pointless :rolleyes: Pull the other one. On that I think you were the one getting a little sensitive about Geelongs draw in the first place.

Spare us all thanks.

Haters gonna hate.

This.

It's just like the ol' Collingwood supporters have no teeth, are unwashed, uneducated, have no money, line up at Centrelink to collect the dole, are scum, ferals etc.

You know the person using any of these in a conversation must be a simpleton, because in fact the majority of us are the exact opposite.

It always amazes me people worry more about what Collingwood are doing, rather than what the team they support are doing.

Haters gonna hate.

Well bugger me.

In addition, why the hell to Hawthorn, Geelong, Essendon, Carlton, Melbourne play their home games against us at our home ground? Crazy stuff. Why??? Oh the gate takings are larger and some of those teams have the G as a home ground as well.

We have 2 'true' home games this year. Interstate teams travel to Victoria to play us twice. So the home ground advantage is really advantageous for us hey!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If we'd played 6 games interstate, we'd play the Crows & WCE away.hmmmmm daunting tasks:rolleyes:

OK we'll swap a 2nd game against Geelong & Hawthorn for these 2 games and we'll lock top spot thanks.

Sorry bud, missed one in the count off the Geelong website.

Because I'm sure that ONE game I got wrong must surely be the difference between Collingwood top 4 or merely top 8 finish?

Even my one wrong, is cancelled out ten times over by Geelong's Skilled advantage.

Point was, Collingwood travels on average the same as everyone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Collingwood 'never travels' myth...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back