Fixture The David King Medal - most backfire threads from Grand Final to Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Hello bay,

People who are awarded backfire tags are actually searching for the glory of being a "Flogstradamus" - it seems only fair that for the reward of being a Flogstradamus there is an equal and opposite risk of being a David King Medallist.

Given the decline in quality of the Bay until mid-season, it occurred to me that what's needed is another prestigious Bay award, given out to the brave soul/unrelenting idiot who makes the most failed prediction freds in a 12-month period from Grand Final to Grand final. So here we are.

The Rules:
  • The 12 month period is defined as the moment after the final siren of the grand final up to the final siren of the grand final in the following year (eg from the final siren of the grand final in 2023 to the final siren of the grand final in 2024)
  • Backfire threads must have the "Backfire" tag attached, obviously
  • Threads become valid in the 'year' the Backfire tag is attached (for multi-year and/or distant predictions) or the backfire is confirmed
  • You can't "backfire" a game day thread based on the OPs predicted winner (eg Essendon by 5 goals) unless the prediction is particularly outlandish (eg "Essendon by 5 goals" or "Essendon will go top 2 with a 5 goal win over North")
  • All "Backfire" tags are final
  • In the event of a tie, the winner of the David King Medal will be decided by a Pole (not the ghost of John Paul II)
  • The David King Medal is awarded after the completion of the finals series of any given year

Your Complaints:

But why should I be penalised for predicting the future?

Because striving for Flogstradamus glory shouldn't be without risk

But flogs will try and get my freds backfired!

Then stop being such a dumb flog or making dumb predictions

But the AFL is corrupt!

Don't support Carlton then

Chief has kindly agreed to put up some sweet prizes for the recipient of this award (TBD. Possibly a Maccas voucher for Springvale Maccas).

1720597883973.png

Last edited:
Nice idea, too complex for this little black duck
daffy duck happy dance GIF

Fred and award had merit. Though will this be like an award started by Saveloy Rockstar who gets half way through the season and then melts uncontrollably and doesn’t follow through with it?

Actually that applies to Jazny too :think:

Fred and award had merit. Though will this be like an award started by Saveloy Rockstar who gets half way through the season and then melts uncontrollably and doesn’t follow through with it?

Actually that applies to Jazny too :think:

The only danger to this award is if I get bant by a cranky Carlton-supporting entity.

In that case, I hand over power to judge and compile the results to Plugger35

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if @Saveloy Rockstar someone starts deleting his backfired threads, can they still be traced?
Apparently mods can undelete things :shrug:

V_23 has some strong feelings on this :$

I thought about making a spreadsheet for this, but, you know....

Current Standings:

1. Saveloy Rockstar:

1. FISTO’s Premiership hangovers vs zackah’s Don't screw this ups ft. STuP18 melting as they slide out of the 8 for the 2nd year running - Geelong win and pointedly do not go out of the 8
  2. Happy GeeLOL go out of the 8 month everyone! ft. STPer18 melting :) - STPer18 doesn't melt, nor do Geelong go out of the 8
  3. Which AFL team are the biggest chokers of the 21st century - spoiler alert - it's Collingwood
  4. Can GeeLOL or 13thmond win at least 10 games this season? I say NO - Geelong have won 10 games as of this post with 5 or so easy games in the run home.

2. Footy Is The Win

1. Naicos is gonna have a sore neck next week - Footy is the Win - the thread was posted (and backfired) before the 2023 Grand Final but the backfire was confirmed after the final siren when the Norm Smith was awarded to Bobby Hill :$
  2. NAI50S: Reigning Owen3 Premiers Collingwood Flagpies V St.Spoon - Footy Is The Win - lol beaten by Ross The Boss

3. STPer18, Dinsdale (subject to results), Elmer_Judd, AvantGardner
  1. Post here if you have been on over 50 points at quarter time in 2024 - AvantGardner - bonus point for GWS's comeback
  2. Bye Bye Steggles - Who will Tyson Stengle play for in 2025 after he tells Geelong to GAGF ? - Elmer_Judd - Stengle signs on practically for life
  3. Legendary Coach Chris Scott allows maggot umpires to meet with him in Geelong. - STPer18 - Not sure why this was backfired, investigation pending
  4. The Mighty Hawks end the Collywobble season, again - Dinsdale - The Hawks didn't end the Wobblers season then and there, but have the opportunity to do so in a few weeks. Investigation pending.

By my quick count in 2nd place there are a handful of posters on 1 backfire, while in 1st place there is a certain someone with 4 already under their belt. Just about ready to call this.

It turns out Footy Is The Win has two backfires according to the Iron Laws of the David King Medal

Do you have an actual example of this happening? (Rhetorical question)

What if @Saveloy Rockstar someone starts deleting his backfired threads, can they still be traced?

Users can’t delete Freds 🤷‍♂️

Apparently mods can undelete things :shrug:

“goat” mod doesn’t know users can’t delete Freds :$

Fixture The David King Medal - most backfire threads from Grand Final to Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back