The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

I've commented on this before. Even after ten years, I have so much to learn about footy whereas I could watch soccer or cricket and know pretty much everything without thinking. OTC was therefore compelling viewing for me. The perfect formula is strong host + journalist + ex-coach/big-hitting ex-player. Once they messed with that, the show went downhill. You need heavy hitters. Whateley would be far more suited to OTC than 360 imo. I actually think First Crack is the show OTC used to be.

I would disagree on Buckley. He comes across very well to me as an intelligent and deep thinker about the game. When you've been a coach, you have so much more to consider than just playing. Brown is too lightweight and has a dreadful broadcasting voice.
Yep

Buckley gets a big tick from me as well.
One of the best going around.

but every week, the majority of teams are excluded from discussion. That needs to be addressed. Maybe Fox has cut back so far that they no longer have the resources to get a post-weekend update from each team?

The most common phrase uttered on the show is Lyon ‘Not wanting to make this all about Melbourne but…..’

Yea I reckon they are pretty fair tbh - they tend to run through each game, some more quickly than others. Bottom line if you want to be spoken about more you need to be either at the top end of the ladder or really struggling at the bottom. It's less than 60min show - not all air time is going to be evenly spaced out and Lyon knows Melb inside out so easy for him to discuss. I find both him and Bucks really educational - think JB goes to champion data prior to show and says give me some data and then talks around this a bit. There could be better analysis from him but overall not the worst show going around. Certainly is much better than the shows that are supposed to be funny and witty and actually aren't. And on a spectrum with 360 sitting comfortably towards the bottom (Slobbo related) OTC would sit somewhere around an 8/10 imo.

May as well rename the show to, "On The Collingwood Couch".

Considering how open the competition is, the lack of discussion regarding ALL teams in contention is embarrassing.

Fox Footy producers are melonheads (to go along with their directors during game broadcasts).

May as well rename the show to, "On The Collingwood Couch".

Considering how open the competition is, the lack of discussion regarding ALL teams in contention is embarrassing.

Fox Footy producers are melonheads (to go along with their directors during game broadcasts).
As a Collingwood supporter I'm finding in insufferable the amount of coverage we are getting.
I also find it hard at the moment to know if the commentators are being genuine or are they just trying to generate headlines. Stuff like 'they can't win it' etc. Opinions feel scripted to generate drama.

Last edited:
As a Collingwood supporter I'm finding in unsufferable the amount of coverage we are getting.
Thanks for your reply - very interesting from a Pies supporter.

It's not having a crack at Collingwood or their supporters (could have been any other team) but 12 minutes was dedicated to the Pies at the start of the program.

Taking away ads, that's basically 25% of the program focussed on one team.

Given Ch7's lack of AFL programs during the week, you'd hope FoxFooty would pick up the slack.

But from top to bottom, they're bluddy awful.

It's not having a crack at Collingwood or their supporters (could have been any other team) but 12 minutes was dedicated to the Pies at the start of the program.

Given Ch7's lack of AFL programs during the week, you'd hope FoxFooty would pick up the slack.

Completely agree they need to pull their head in and stop chasing headlines

Anyone else find there is a massive emphasis more than ever on 'Champion data' stats, particular from Fox. Do they have shares in it or something?

I have to laugh at the expert crafting of the stats to suit their narrative.
My favourite is when they look over the 'last six weeks' and criticise a teams 'profile'.
If those last 6 weeks include losses then surely you aren't going to rank well because they are generally stats you need to win a game.

I know it is a bugbear of mine but I am watching the Brisbane-Adelaide game and am fed up of the commentators (who are in SOUTH MELBOURNE) consistently referring to certain players by their forename like they're chatting at the pub. Such overfamiliarity comes across as being so unprofessional.

He's like a pissed acquaintance at 3am just after his missus has dumped him again, incoherently telling you how it all went wrong.

And all you want to do is put him in a cab and send him anywhere else.
Robbo is a just a drunk c*** who thinks that everyone should be Listening to his fantastic opinions - like all drunk c**** - when in reality, he doesn't have a clue - like most drunks!

I remember when Matthias Philippou came on. He was slavering all over him, commending him for having his arms behind his back when he was being interviewed ffs and then started giving him drunken unsolicited advice about his dad which Philippou batted off professionally, without making it more awkward.

Him and Gérard are yesterday's men and need to be replaced. Alistair Nicholson would be a good Gerard replacement and Robbo could be replaced by Dunstall or Kane Cornes.

Robbo is a just a drunk c*** who thinks that everyone should be Listening to his fantastic opinions - like all drunk c**** - when in reality, he doesn't have a clue - like most drunks!

I remember when Matthias Philippou came on. He was slavering all over him, commending him for having his arms behind his back when he was being interviewed ffs and then started giving him drunken unsolicited advice about his dad which Philippou batted off professionally, without making it more awkward.

Him and Gérard are yesterday's men and need to be replaced. Alistair Nicholson would be a good Gerard replacement and Robbo could be replaced by Dunstall or Kane Cornes.

Dunstall is the biggest flog of the lot. If you listen to him commentate games, you'd think he hates the sport. The most negative ex player since Sam Newman.

Collingwood > clicks > $$

It's not rocket surgery.

We were certainties a month ago and now can't win it, apparently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else find there is a massive emphasis more than ever on 'Champion data' stats, particular from Fox. Do they have shares in it or something?

I have to laugh at the expert crafting of the stats to suit their narrative.
My favourite is when they look over the 'last six weeks' and criticise a teams 'profile'.
If those last 6 weeks include losses then surely you aren't going to rank well because they are generally stats you need to win a game.

Or if you've played North or West Coast it's going to skew the data just a tad. Laughable the rubbish they spit out.

I know it is a bugbear of mine but I am watching the Brisbane-Adelaide game and am fed up of the commentators (who are in SOUTH MELBOURNE) consistently referring to certain players by their forename like they're chatting at the pub. Such overfamiliarity comes across as being so unprofessional.

AFL commentary is amateurish how they do that, compared to other sports around the world.

Call AFL players by their last name and scrap the "Jacks", "Jamarra's" and "Paddy's"

AFL commentary is amateurish how they do that, compared to other sports around the world.

Call AFL players by their last name and scrap the "Jacks", "Jamarra's" and "Paddy's"

How about how they shake hands with players after an interview. Look at us. We matessssss!!!!

Going so well until here. Al Nicholson is like an Aldi version of the Nerdling.

Bounce is dreadfully sloppy for a ‘funny’ footy show, especially Gaze. Feel like almost none of the footy industry’s analysis or light entertainment shows nowadays would get a run 15-30 years ago, and that’s not just Fox but across the board. Might be some rose-coloured glasses there and changing attention spans, but it does feel much the poorer to me. Viewers and readers are just less captive to received content nowadays and so the stuff we do get is accordingly shallow and halfhearted.

Remove this Banner Ad

The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back