The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richo is living proof that as long as you were good at footy you'll always have a job, despite having a single digit IQ.

I actually like Lloyd. Good analyst, doesn't go over the top with criticism and is relatively unbiased.
Lloyd is one of the few on here with no active thread. Fair evidence that he’s not shit at his job or annoying.

FoxFooty has gone down the 'if it's an opinion or a stat, let's have a sponsor' route.

Kath's hair is out of control, that piece of irrelevant crud is proudly brought to you by Dove.

Just caught up with OTC and loved Garry's victorious walk & talk to the Window and back

Happy The Best GIF by Tennis TV

it's come back and it's double glazed!

If Garry moves to 360 then who can replace him on On The Couch?

I can’t think of many people at Fox who fit the role of being both a host and past player. Perhaps they’ll need to look externally.

If Garry moves to 360 then who can replace him on On The Couch?

I can’t think of many people at Fox who fit the role of being both a host and past player. Perhaps they’ll need to look externally.

It might be better if it’s not an ex-player and the show went back to being more a mix of covering on field and off field issues like Talking Footy was in its early years with combinations of Bruce McAvaney, Mike Sheahan, Malcolm Blight, Robert Walls, Leigh Matthews and Caroline Wilson.

Fox has allowed past players to dominate the show too much in recent years - what does Jonathon Brown add when you already have Garry Lyon and Nathan Buckley?

A mix of journos / professional commentators, ex-coaches and some past players, but only if they are up to it (e.g. Cornes or Lloyd types), would be best. I guess like what’s worked for Footy Classified.

I can’t see Robbo on Midweek Tackle as is, he isn’t sharp enough anymore to slot into that show’s rapid pacing.

I like that character blend of Lyon, Browny and Bucks on OTC, they share a good vibe and would be wary of tinkering with that.

The trick is not blurring the shows together too much, they need their distinct angle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t see Robbo on Midweek Tackle as is, he isn’t sharp enough anymore to slot into that show’s rapid pacing.

I like that character blend of Lyon, Browny and Bucks on OTC, they share a good vibe and would be wary of tinkering with that.

The trick is not blurring the shows together too much, they need their distinct angle.
Midweek tackle sort of ruins the idea but wonder if they could add a journo panel to 360 to make up for no Robbo, although I sorta worry that it would be too much like the league version which isn’t as good as afl360

Midweek tackle sort of ruins the idea but wonder if they could add a journo panel to 360 to make up for no Robbo, although I sorta worry that it would be too much like the league version which isn’t as good as afl360
yeah the league version is putrid. Whenever you switch over to that briefly you feel blessed with Gerard & Robbo. The Tallis arguments with Rothfield have an overbearing atmosphere.

It might be better if it’s not an ex-player and the show went back to being more a mix of covering on field and off field issues like Talking Footy was in its early years with combinations of Bruce McAvaney, Mike Sheahan, Malcolm Blight, Robert Walls, Leigh Matthews and Caroline Wilson.

Fox has allowed past players to dominate the show too much in recent years - what does Jonathon Brown add when you already have Garry Lyon and Nathan Buckley?

A mix of journos / professional commentators, ex-coaches and some past players, but only if they are up to it (e.g. Cornes or Lloyd types), would be best. I guess like what’s worked for Footy Classified.
A journo / professional media person works much better for On The Couch / Talking Footy (original version), as long as they are not trying to be the 'star' of the show. I think Sarah Jones would be a great choice.

Lyon hosting, especially with Browny on the panel, too often becomes a battle of egos, and that is not what the show should be about.

yeah the league version is putrid. Whenever you switch over to that briefly you feel blessed with Gerard & Robbo. The Tallis arguments with Rothfield have an overbearing atmosphere.
Hard to compare bc the NRL version is so pox. Agree - Tallis is dumb and so Broncocentric and supportive of certain ppl he is embarrassing. Its sort of a race to the bottom though. I just can't see what Robbo contributes that an intern couldn't...

A journo / professional media person works much better for On The Couch / Talking Footy (original version), as long as they are not trying to be the 'star' of the show. I think Sarah Jones would be a great choice.

Lyon hosting, especially with Browny on the panel, too often becomes a battle of egos, and that is not what the show should be about.
Not sure Lyon battles with JB for attention - personally think GL is miles ahead of him in intellect and analysis of the game. He's superb I reckon Lyon. His major issue is just not wanting to do too much "stuff" anymore - he's wound back his SEN commitments, he does nothing TV wise from Tues - Thurs anymore and I just think he's pretty happy with his lot in life now. Good luck to him.

Last edited:
I like Lyon but don’t really rate his in-game analysis. He is prone to recline back in his armchair and start waffling the established narratives, and thereby miss subtle shifts in game momentum and strategy and player development. A post post show like OTC suits him because he has had time to sit back and reflect and form opinion.

Gerard makes sound observations within the few sports he is a competent caller, but his communicative mode of pompous jargon works against this, e.g. his fawning description of Neale’s GF performance on Monday 360 was a cringey mess

Last edited:
I like Lyon but don’t really rate his in-game analysis. He is prone to recline back in his armchair and start waffling the established narratives, and thereby miss subtle shifts in game momentum and strategy and player development. A post post show like OTC suits him because he has had time to sit back and reflect and form opinion.

Gerard makes sound observations within the few sports he is a competent caller, but his communicative mode of pompous jargon works against this, e.g. his fawning description of Neale’s GF performance on Monday 360 was a cringey mess
I sometimes think his verbosity is directly linked to his erogenous zone.

Remove this Banner Ad

The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back