Review The Geelong Board 'Liked, Learned and Hated' 2015 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This is an idea that I have blatantly stolen from the mainboard/the banner across the screen...

What have we liked, learned and hated from season 2015? Try keep it to 3 things each....

For me - and it is bloody hard to pick 3!
Liked
- The kids (Cocky, Lang, Kolo, Greggers)
- Getting Danger
- The return of Menz

Learned
- If and it's an almighty IF our ruckman stay fit we could revolutionize the game
- Night footy at the Cattery is such a better atmosphere than an arvo game
- Playing at KP doesn't hold any fear for opposition clubs anymore

Hated
- Threepeat
- Arrogantly expecting to win against lowly teams and getting shown up for it
- Threepeat

Liked:
  • given kids such as Gregson, Cockatoo and Lang decent exposure
  • our off-season recruiting
  • Faith and our draw for next year
Disliked:
  • Scott's game plan
  • arrogance
  • Negativity
Hated:
  • Gore departing
  • O'Bree remaining in a coaching role.
  • Having to wait so long until 2016 begins.

Jesus.

Liked
Seeing another team getting a 3 peat.
Reading the glowing comments about how good we are to deal with. Because I don't reckon that would just be trades. It would be the same for sponsor negotiations etc.
Liked the AFL recognising so many punters weren't happy.

Learned
Clarkson is better than I thought he was
Geelong are rushing to replace older players
Board members can be positive for years, and just flip

Hated
Well, I'm not liking gws and gc being pillaged. I think it's bad for the game.
Losing SJ as a mod.
Seeing that a premiership backman, premiership coach, has no idea how to assemble a backline.

Geez, keeping it to 3 is going to be pretty hard but I'll give it a shot.

Liked:
  • That someone once seen as a long shot Cat B rookie, someone who had many bemoaning his selection early on, someone who is now amongst our first couple of players picked, is now a Best and Fairest winner of this great club. Take a bow Blitz.
  • The changes made by our media department and how we're now branded, the greatness banner is just so damn good (especially accompanied by a photo of PFD)
  • Our off season trading and the fixture leaving me excited about the season to come where only a mere 8 weeks ago things were nowhere near as cheery. Bring on the 2016 season!
Learned:
  • The expansion teams are still a few years away from taking the comp by the scruff of the neck. Many in 2010 had them pegged as winning flags by now.
  • This board would be insufferable if we went through a run like Melbourne have been through recently. Deeply divided board in 2015.
  • When the AFL really want to alter something, they can and they do. Carlton F/N games and resting in R23 prime examples.... Yet their handling of Essendon was a shambles.
Hated:
  • Seeing SJ in a Giants jumper, I hope very much that internally they had a damn good reason to let him go, 6 list spots available too.
  • Hawthorn 3peat and now a possible 4 peat. Depressing last couple of seasons.
  • The way we "honoured" Enright in his 300th game. However, a good opportunity to atone for that if he should happen to break Nankervis' long standing record.

Liked:
Menz, Vardy and Cowan all playing in the same side at the same time and being able to do a full pre-season
Finally getting a fit number one ruckman into the side
PFD is at the Cattery (to borrow Daz's term:p)

Learned:
Kardinia Park is a much better night venue than previously thought
It doesn't matter how ferocious you are injury's can really impact your season (danged dodgy paw for Selly)
Our game plan has been found out and is being exploited

Hated:
F'ken Mayblooms threepeating
Hawkins falling into the Cloke trap of not leading any more and wanting to wrestle all the time
Lack of plan B

#Liked:

Loved our last game at simmonds, such a joy and celebration. Was perfect closure on that era for me. Tears of joy.

Menzel Return: Tears of joy (again)

Freo not winning the flag.

#Learned:

That blitz is a star as a midfielder, once again was hopeful but was great to learn he could do it.

That carrying too many long term injured players has a massive negative impact on the club.

#Disliked:

Hawks winning.

Trading Gore.

Stanley getting injured after setting us alight.

Liked:
  • Meeting more BF posters :thumbsu:
  • The return of Menzel and Vardy
  • Seeing the kids start to play well (Nakia, Gregson, Kolo)
Learned:
  • How to get around KP (first year going to the stadium)
  • Can't rely on the old brigade to pick up the pieces when things go to shit.
  • No longer expect to win milestone games
Hated:
  • Hawks threepeat
  • Another team didn't show up on Grand Final day
  • Ling's love for Hawthorn

Liked:

Blicavs proving he will make it/has made it. Just an incredible story and just reward from what we all hear is an exceptional work ethic and commitment to improving.

Return of Dan Menzel, was really getting to the point that I dared not hope seeing him get back at any level, another one who has been rewarded for alot of hard work.

Round 23, haven't been so emotional at a game in years, couldn't have hoped for a better ending to that era (flag aside), managed to score a few mates and their dad some seating to that game who hadn't been to a game that year, they still talk about that game every time i see them. Glad they experienced it too

Learned:

Selwood needs support, drop-offs from the veterans not being balanced from improvements from the younger guys left the skipper a bit exposed, frustration and form slumps was a new and un-enjoyable experience for us all.

KP holds no fear, should have been 0-3 to start the year, unheard of. Hopefully we can get back to business next season.

Our foot-skills aren't what they used to be, whether people believe Scott has a great game plan or not, it was next to impossible to tell at times with our disposal and execution at times. I know the stats don't necessarily agree with this (i believe we were one of the high disposal % sides) but to me is seemed poor.

Hated:

Watching lower clubs feed the Hawks another flag through FA. Watching hawthorn continue to be the best. #bitter.

Seeing Johnno in a Giants Top.

Insipid performance for Enrights 300th.

Really really liked getting #lolmarty to the top of trending tags though.

Liked:
- Menzel return
- Blicavs' B&F win
- Offseason recruitments

Learned:
- Hawthorn are still the team to beat next season
- We need to improve our pressure and intensity before anything else
- Our young players could be anything

Hated:
- Melbourne loss
- St.Kilda draw
- Collingwood loss
(Had everything to play for in all three games however failed miserably)

Liked
- Menzel's return
- Lloyd's appointment
- Getting Danger

Learned
- BigFooty is pretty fun to post on and most people on here are passionate interesting posters
- Despite the '07, 09, 11' flags or maybe because of them we still have a culture amongst our supporter group of too readily accepting mediocrity
- That Chris Scott truly is the Teflon man in the media considering we had the worst contested possession stats and close to the worst clearance stats in the league and not one question was raised about his coaching, questions that would surely be asked of nearly every other coach in the league.

Hated
- The Hawks and everything about them
- Our lack of effort in many games
- BT and Hamish McLachlan commentating footy on channel 7, for Christ's sake get Gerard Whateley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like Harley... And Ling?
Ling still has sense, he shows that on AW.... But he plays the game on 7 and many here have a changed opinion of him because of it.

Ling still has sense, he shows that on AW.... But he plays the game on 7 and many here have a changed opinion of him because of it.
Can't say I listen to AW all that much. It's frustrating that a guy who in his playing days was universally liked because of the way he conducted himself is now surrounded by a couple of morons and is expected to lower himself to their level.

BT, Darce, Hamish and Basil truly is a race to the bottom.

Liked

- The development of many of our younger players - Thurlow, Guthrie, Caddy, Murdoch, Gregson, Lang, Bews, Kolo, Cockatoo, etc.

- The farewell game. The best way to finish what was a disappointing and frustrating year. Proof of what's capable from this team and a perfect way to honour our departing legends. Getting Vardy, Cowan and Menzel on the park together was a big bonus as will be a full pre-season from all three.

- We got a guy called Dangerfield, who can apparently play a bit.

Learned

-
Despite a lean period, the club still has so much respect from the wider AFL community and that we've now become a destination club.

- That we have a larger number of fair weather supporters than I thought, who were quick to jump off - see crowd figures for 2015.

- Three game memberships are not a financially smart option for clubs.

Disliked

- Losing the aura that surrounded games at Simonds Stadium, and the number of inept performances throughout 2015.

- Coaching staff failing to learn from previous mistakes.

- F***ing Hawthorn and continued incompetence in the umpiring ranks.

Loved:
The kids getting games and exposure and the form they showed.
Patrick ****ing DANGERFIELD.
Not seeing Lyon win a flag.

Learned:
For some unknown reason the Hawks are easily the greatest team in this competition.
Injuries or lack there of impact all sides significantly, good example being the Hawks 3 flags and our recent lack of.

Hated:
Hawks.
Injuries.
Also the burning question or doubt that maybe, perhaps, this team with our new recruits just won't be good enough to win a flag.

Liked:
cocky (the talent is immense) and to a lessor degree Lang, kolo and gregson.
Guthrie as a midfielder
Menzel, Vardy and Cowan comebacks
Motlops second half of the year.

Disliked:
The Melbourne game.
Simpsons body failing him
The pies game.
The recruitment of Blease.

Hated: The dumping of SJ after a pretty good year dspite little pre season (its either a monumental error or there is a serious behind the scenes scandal that's being covered up).

The lack of respect many big footy geelong posters give to SJ. Some posters clearly vehemently hate him and its quite shocking to read.

When posters type they are going to miss SJ and refer to the forum poster and not the player says it all really. Very underappreciated by fans.

Great way to review the Season , my two bobs worth :

Liked :
Getting some of the rehab group back late season - Cowan , Vardy and of course Menz ( had tears in my eyes with the return game)
Our class as a Club with the Phil Walsh situation and the final game for the 3 amigos
Watching some of the next generation emerge , Blitz , Guthrie , Caddy , Kolo, Jessica and Gregson

Learned:
Based on our 4 target players we aren't going to go down the ladder without a fight
Father time catches up with the Champs no matter how good they were
We still have enormous respect from the Football Community
Confirmed my belief that Lyon is a short term impact Coach who burns out assistants and also players

Hated:
Continued Hawk success.........grrrrrrrrr
Quality of TV commentary
Our inability to field best side for most of the season
Missing Finals
Team performance in Boris' 300th

Liked
The building excitement to watch three players in particular for next year, all for different reasons. Blicavs because of what he's achieved from nothing, Cockatoo because of what it looks like he might be able to achieve and Menzel because of what he hasn't achieved... yet... but still might.

Learned
That greatness takes time, but it's not equated with success. We were great; 3 flags in 5 years is great, no question. We are great; showed class with regards to Phil Walsh and Adelaide, showed compassion and professionalism in trade period and got some good outcomes with regards to the ongoing stadium construction. We will be great; there is every reason to believe in the future on and off field success of the GFC.

Hated
Hmm, it's a strong word. Maybe the Melbourne game. Enright is such an important player for the club, so selfless and hardworking, it sucked to see the effort put up for his 300th.

Liked:
cocky (the talent is immense) and to a lessor degree Lang, kolo and gregson.
Guthrie as a midfielder
Menzel, Vardy and Cowan comebacks
Motlops second half of the year.

Disliked:
The Melbourne game.
Simpsons body failing him
The pies game.
The recruitment of Blease.

Hated: The dumping of SJ after a pretty good year dspite little pre season (its either a monumental error or there is a serious behind the scenes scandal that's being covered up).

The lack of respect many big footy geelong posters give to SJ. Some posters clearly vehemently hate him and its quite shocking to read.

When posters type they are going to miss SJ and refer to the forum poster and not the player says it all really. Very underappreciated by fans.
As far as I know, I'm the only one to mention hating losing SJ as a mod.

With regards to the player, far out. I've said its our biggest error in memory.

Liked:

Rnd 23 against Adelaide - a great finish for the year.
The Return of Menzel & Vardy & Cowan
Rnd 19 win against the Swans - really showed the talent we have coming up in the squad.
The rise of Kolo
Enright making 300 games
Duncan finally becoming an A grade player.
Gregson & Lang & Nakia
Blicavs winning the Carji
Cook re-signing as CEO
Geelong trades/FA performance

Learned:

Our midfield seriously lacked depth, beyond even what I thought.
When Stanley rucked and Blitz played as a mid something special was seen.
That while the gameplan suits Simonds Stadium, we're exposed on the wider/bigger grounds.

Hated/disliked:

Round 12 loss to Melbourne at home, and how the crowd left before the final siren so Enright didn't get the ovation he deserved for his 300th Game.
The continual inconsistency of performance from Guthrie, Caddy, Murdoch, Bews, Thurlow, etc.
The losses/draws to teams we should've been able to beat.
Squandering a chance to make the 8 with inconsistent form and attitude.
The continual criticism of Chris Scott from Geelong supporters.
The injuries we had.
The death of Phil Walsh, just a tragedy.
Hawthorn winning the flag again.
The king hit of Paul Brown that led to serious head injuries.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Geelong Board 'Liked, Learned and Hated' 2015 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back