Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No way in hell are they fighting on the same card.

Arum/Pacquiao are making excuses for the fight not to happen. When Floyd was set to be jailed in January, Arum was talking about Pacquiao fighting in May, taking on 1 of 4 opponents out of Lamont Peterson, Tim Bradley, Miguel Cotto, or JMM.

But when Floyd's time got postponed, and that May 5 date is still open for Floyd, Arum's like, "na his cuts gonna take 10 years to heal so we can't fight in May anymore".

**** that whole side man, they're the ones holding up the fight now. Arum is scared his cash cow will lose if he fights Mayweather. Pacquaio probably knows it too. He'd be unsure of himself after JMM

This is what I'm talking about:

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=Ar31giPUhkRlVbApKqGYBN2UxLYF?slug=ap-pacquiao-mayweather

MANILA, Philippines (AP)—Manny Pacquiao’s camp says there is no economic sense in setting up a bout with Floyd Mayweather on May 5 after the unbeaten American publicly challenged the Filipino champion via Twitter.

Pacquiao’s financial adviser Michael Koncz told The Associated Press on Thursday that a 45,000-seat boxing arena being built in Las Vegas won’t be finished before the end of May and staging the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight in a smaller venue is “foolish from an economic standpoint.”

They're using this as a reason not to fight now. Seriously??? If you think Floyd was running scared before, what's this garbage???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think so, the size difference is significant and Mayweather is imo a better version of JMM, who Pacquiao has genuine trouble with.

That said, I'm not sure what Money's ability to take a punch is like - and JMM went down four times in his first two fights against Pacman.

If Manny lands a big shot, it will be interesting to see how Money responds.

Thier sizes are the same IMO. Both came up from lighter weights and have been fighting at welterweight for some time now. Mayweather's not a big puncher (mainly because his hands are fragile), so that wouldn't be a factor for him anyway.

For all of Pacquiao's hype, he's just nowhere near Mayweather skill-wise. All Pacquiao has is speed and power. Over the last few years where Pacquaio has seemingly dominated the competition he actually hasn't done much. Going all the way back to his fight with a weight drained De La Hoya, the opponents since have been ripe for the picking and tailor made for Pacquaio.

I don't doubt that Pacquiao could hit Mayweather with one shot that could turn the whole fight, but I can see Mayweather getting to Pacquiao with lead right hands and pull counters all night.

Can somebody assassinate Bob Arum??

Floyd Mayweather Jr. sat on the apron of a boxing ring surrounded by reporters Wednesday and essentially said it’s Manny Pacquiao or bust May 5.

It sounds like bust, again.

Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum shot down any hope of the bout taking place on that date, saying, “We’d be leaving too much money on the table. We’d be happy to fight at the end of May.”

Arum says he wants to schedule the bout May 26 in order to have enough time to build a 40,000-seat temporary stadium on the site of the old Frontier hotel. Ellerbe scoffed at that notion and pointed out, correctly, that the vast majority of all significant pay-per-view fights that have taken place in boxing over the last 15 years have been at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=Ap2wIot1jIh8ZC0QKy8r6xCUxLYF?slug=ki-iole_mayweather_pacman011812

So Mayweather wants the fight, Pacquiao wants the fight, but some greedy old bastard who's sole focus is currency doesn't.

Thier sizes are the same IMO. Both came up from lighter weights and have been fighting at welterweight for some time now. Mayweather's not a big puncher (mainly because his hands are fragile), so that wouldn't be a factor for him anyway.

For all of Pacquiao's hype, he's just nowhere near Mayweather skill-wise. All Pacquiao has is speed and power. Over the last few years where Pacquaio has seemingly dominated the competition he actually hasn't done much. Going all the way back to his fight with a weight drained De La Hoya, the opponents since have been ripe for the picking and tailor made for Pacquaio.

I don't doubt that Pacquiao could hit Mayweather with one shot that could turn the whole fight, but I can see Mayweather getting to Pacquiao with lead right hands and pull counters all night.

Mayweather hasn't had much of a contest in his past 5 fights either. Boxing needs this fight badly!

We all know Mayweather would go out and look for a points decision. He's probably favourite and rightly so. He has never been beaten. I don't think Manny will hold back like he did in the first 5 or 6 rounds against Marquez. To me it looked like he didn't want trade blows for the first time in his career. That will never happen again.

Ahhh well. November or December it is.

It would be a great day if dogs like Arum didn't have a say and money didn't control the situation.

These two could organize to meet in a car park and throw. This is such a fukn bullshit episode in boxing and people wonder why the younger people out there are switching to MMA.

This fight was supposed to happen what? Almost two years ago. Yet we still sit here and wait. Fukn disgrace.

I'm happy with a Cotto vs Mayweather fight. Mayweather's skills should be enough to get him over the line but I can't see him hurting Cotto at 154. Cotto is a great body puncher who can't be taken lightly. Forget about Mayweather and Pacquiao and focus on the other good fights that can still be made.

Good top rank card involving Donaire vs Vazquez Jr and Chavez Jr vs Rubio. Couple of good fights there.

I probably wrote it earlier in this thread but Cotto vs Mayweather is a fight I've wanted to happen for a long time now.

Probably the match-up I've wanted to see the most after Pacquiao Mayweather.

The Tim Bradley fight with Pacquiao intrigues me a little bit. Whilst it wouldn't be the first fight I would pick to watch, Bradley brings something different to the table. Pacquiao has looked great against bigger but ultimately slower fighters. He has struggled against Marquez and Bradley can box a bit and has decent handspeed. The main issue Bradley will have is he doesn't have great power. I think Pacquiao will win but it will be interesting to see how he goes against a slick fighter like Bradley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back