The Grand Final match-ups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly couldn't see West Coast beating Hawthorn in a Grand Final. Remember the Eagles are very inexperienced on the finals stage and will have likely had a soft hit out the week before. Hawthorn will be steeled from travelling twice and playing 4 games, the 3 previous teams under this finals system to make the GF after losing in week one all went on to win the flag.

Can't see Hawthorn falling at the last hurdle with the three-peat in sight, 5-7 goal win.

Having said that I don't think Hawthorn will be there at all.

North getting no love in this thread.. I reckon they would be entertaining, good scoring power and ball movement has been nice late in the season.. no reason why it couldn't be a good game if they win next week.

North getting no love in this thread.. I reckon they would be entertaining, good scoring power and ball movement has been nice late in the season.. no reason why it couldn't be a good game if they win next week.

Yeah, I'm a bit confused about all the worry about North v Freo. The game a few weeks ago was pretty entertaining, Freo attacking hard with their advantage at the stoppages (we are one team they would think they can exploit offensively I reckon) and us rebounding hard. The Goldstein/Sandilands match-up was pretty great - Sandi was huge at the clearances for 4 quarters but Goldstein was pivotal around the ground in the second half. Boomer hated by Freo fans. North would attack hard thinking they can exploit Zac Dawson or Alex Silvagni one-on-one, Freo would use Hill, Walters, Ballantyne, Sheridan to move the ball quickly. Would be a great game I reckon, and the 2nd most likely to be close out of the 4 possible match-ups.
Of course though, every year there is the 'edgy' group of fans who won't watch the GF because it's a 'boring match-up'. They'd have missed some crackers in the past decade on that basis.

Hawks and Eagles likely to be in it, but assuming West Coast win this week I'd like a derby. A lifetime of joy for the winner, the losing team would cop it for years and it could end careers. It would have a fair bit more riding on it than a normal Grand Final I think. I reckon every single WA fan if asked would rather a loss to Hawthorn in a GF than their WA opposition?

If North can beat the Eagles they will match up well with Hawks or freo. They have taken a step up and are a different team to home and away season.

If we can beat the Eagles at home we are absolutely in with a chance considering 9-2 in our last 11 games including Freo, Sydney, Richmond and Geelong wins, and one of the losses we rested half the team. Form couldn't be better. Huge task ahead, probaby would be one of the all-time great finals wins, but we couldn't have done more to be better prepared.

One factor that Freo has over WC is that we have been there before. Whether this has an impact is impossible to predict ... but in 2013 a lot of our players were clearly overawed with the situation.

One factor that Freo has over WC is that we have been there before. Whether this has an impact is impossible to predict ... but in 2013 a lot of our players were clearly overawed with the situation.

Based on recent history, "been there before" doesn't have a big impact either way. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't.

No birds would be best
Freo over Roos in a close one could be a classic

hawthorn unbeatable at the G. honestly don't think west coast would get within 5 goals of them. best case scenario for all the neutrals is the derby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn v West Coast would make for the best quality of footy. North Melbourne would be romantic under dogs.

But please no Freo. They wouldn't really be under dogs and they certainly wouldn't be part of a quality footy game.

Freo will the premiership. They will probably play West Coast in the Grand Final, but I could also see North Melbourne making it.

Fremantle were torn apart by Hawthorn the last time they played. Even with the week off I will be tipping Hawthorn.

Fremantle were torn apart by Hawthorn the last time they played. Even with the week off I will be tipping Hawthorn.
last year freo were belted by hawks in round 3 by 58. in the return fixture in round 19 at subi they won by 19. it remains the only time ross lyons frementle has played hawthorn in the west. hawthorn at G are unbeatable but they're not so scary when they go west as you no doubt would be aware...

I agree the rest SHOULD help but as the Hawks have shown in the last thre prelims it is not always the case. In all three the rested Hawthorn started the game as flat as a shitcarters hat and have had to scramble out of games they started about $1.30 faves in just to get over the line. Having said that, Hawthorn were undoubtably carrying the burden of expectation against teams who gave it everything in the knowlege that no one outside their inner sanctum really believed they could win. This game is different. Freo are the minor premiers,are rested and are playing at home and yet will almost certainly go into the game as the underdogs both with the sports betting markets and in the thoughts of the wider football public. Incredibly the "No one rates us" ( apologies to Brad Scott who registered the patent years ago) motivational weapon is going to be owned by the Dockers. Hawthorn appear to be the team with the most to lose! Go figure. Red danger alarms are going off at full volume in my mind.

I agree .....I've watched most freo games this year as I live in wa I watch both on TV ......freo this year have been the best at winning games when they haven't played well......is that compliment or criticism? I take it as a good thing

Freo will need to turn it on to beat Hawks but everyone said Hawks would beat west coast especially after masten and priddis didn't play .......freo don't have the same attack but defensively they swarm like a seagulls on a half filled chip packet ......freo have the hunger

They know this might be the last chance. I also think they have the best player in the game in Fyfe.

They are rested. McPharlin won't play but I don't think that would hurt them v Hawks forward line which isn't tall anyways. There will be 40,000 at the prelim at domain and they will make some noise

I'm the opposite I think the freo will swarm Hawks with defensive intensity ....

They beat up Adelaide but they won't beat freo

Don't know why Freo-North wouldn't be good for the neutral?

The recent Home and away game was close with big momentum swings, North haven't been in a GF since 99 and Freo never won one.

For me, 2014 was the definition of unappetizing - 2 recent premiership winners who already played off just a couple years beforehand.

Roos won't beat west coast

Remove this Banner Ad

The Grand Final match-ups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back