The Grand Final should be hosted at a neutral venue

Remove this Banner Ad

So when Gold Coast finish first have a grand final with 12,000 people then?
Yep. If they finish first and make the grand final , they deserve it. It would be a great way to grow the game there too.

Qualifying finals draw the same crowd as a GF do they?

They have the same logistics around it?

The same pre-match entertainment?

The same amount of officials and families who want to attend?

Ridiculous comparison.
Can you read?
Lines 2 and 3 of my original post answer all your questions except the first one.
And with the exception of Sydney & Brisbane, the answer to your question will be yes - i.e. they will both sell out.

If you think the "event" is more important than the fairness of the competition, that's your prerogative. As that's the only argument against home GFs. I don't share that view.

Yep. If they finish first and make the grand final , they deserve it. It would be a great way to grow the game there too.

Think members already complain about getting tickets to the game, even if every ticket were given to members that would leave about 64,000 West Coast members aggrieved and just as many Hawk fans.
Perhaps Perth should just build a 100,000 seat stadium too, unlike Sydney and Brisbane you would fill it given how many people miss out on seats at Subi now, then rotate the game east to west.
No point building one like that in Sydney and Brisbane if it is only gonna get filled once or twice every decade.

Then again the best teams will win anywhere anytime, Essendon would not have lost in 2000 even if the grand final had been played in Perth, Hawks would not have lost yesterday and pretty sure the Cats still would have won in 07 even if the game had been in Adelaide also.
Anywhere, anytime.

Grand Finals at the MCG - Victorian teams vs Non-Victorian teams

1992 - Geelong def by West Coast
1994 - Geelong def by West Coast
1996 - North Melbourne def Sydney
1997 - St Kilda def by Adelaide
1998 - North Melbourne def by Adelaide
2001 - Essendon def by Brisbane
2002 - Collingwood def by Brisbane
2003 - Collingwood def by Brisbane
2007 - Geelong def Port Adelaide
2012 - Hawthorn def by Sydney
2013 - Hawthorn def Fremantle
2014 - Hawthorn def Sydney
2015 - Hawthorn def West Coast

So even with Hawthorn's hat-trick, over 13 games the ledger stands at 5 Victorian wins and 8 interstate wins.

This is one argument that is simple to debunk by just looking at the history. Non-Victorian teams can win the flag on hostile territory, and usually do.

If any of you would like to actually explain the logistics of how all this works, and not just bitch like children, then you might be taken seriously. Until then, you're just shouting into a void.
Simple.

This year after round 23 look at the ladder and go, "well no Queensland team is in lets give it to the Gabba." 4 weeks to prep for the Grand Final, plenty of time.

If all states have someone in the finals wait till first week is done, still gives 3 weeks notice to prep for the Grand Final. If they can't organise a Grand Final in 3 or 4 weeks then they have issues.

Of course we have the issue if every state has someone competing past week 1 of finals so I'll admit it does have flaws but here is where the potential Grand Final venues since 2000.

2015- Qld (4 weeks notice)
2014- Qld (4 weeks)
2013- Qld (4 weeks)
2012- Qld (4 weeks)
2011- Qld (4 weeks) SA (4 weeks)
2010- Qld (4 weeks) SA (4 weeks)
2009- WA (4 weeks) NSW (4 weeks)
2008- WA (4 weeks) QLD (4 weeks) SA (3 weeks)
2007- QLD (4 weeks) NSW (3 weeks)
2006- QLD (4 weeks)
2005- QLD (4 weeks)
2004- WA (3 weeks)
2003- WA (3 weeks)
2002- NSW (4 weeks) WA (3 weeks)
2001- WA (4 weeks) NSW (3 weeks)
2000- NSW (4 weeks) SA (4 weeks) WA (4 weeks)

Only 2 years would a guaranteed neutral venue have less then 4 weeks notice. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Though keep in mind I personally would keep it at the MCG.

So even with Hawthorn's hat-trick, over 13 games the ledger stands at 5 Victorian wins and 8 interstate wins.

This is one argument that is simple to debunk by just looking at the history. Non-Victorian teams can win the flag on hostile territory, and usually do.
This should just about end the thread.

i don't understand this, that it's not the deciding factor in the result doesn't make it any less unfair

its like arguing that it's "fair" for collingwood to forever play home games against sydney at ANZ stadium as we have a good home and away record there, no one is saying it's impossible for interstate teams to win at the MCG; only that it gives an unfair advantage to Victorian clubs (and especially MCG tenants)

i don't understand this, that it's not the deciding factor in the result doesn't make it any less unfair

its like arguing that it's "fair" for collingwood to forever play home games against sydney at ANZ stadium as we have a good home and away record there, no one is saying it's impossible for interstate teams to win at the MCG; only that it gives an unfair advantage to Victorian clubs (and especially MCG tenants)
But wouldn't an unfair advantage if it existed mean more vic sides would win.
At the moment it looks as if the advantage is a myth.

But wouldn't an unfair advantage if it existed mean more vic sides would win.
At the moment it looks as if the advantage is a myth.
well, no. if you let carlton play 19 players on field this year for example they'd have won more games but probably not more than half. advantage doesn't mean certain win

i mean, it wouldn't be "fair" to give carlton the #1 pick every year despite the fact none have played in flags and none are the best player of their draft, would it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well, no. if you let carlton play 19 players on field this year for example they'd have won more games but probably not more than half. advantage doesn't mean certain win

i mean, it wouldn't be "fair" to give carlton the #1 pick every year despite the fact none have played in flags and none are the best player of their draft, would it?
What the hell has this got to do with travel?
The stats show that interstate sides win the GF more than they lose.

Yep how many times can one say that the better team did not win the grand final. I cannot think of any really. Anywhere anytime is the best teams motto.

lol@ so many trying to convince themselves that the granny will stay at the MCG for eternity - what a crock of shit. Unfortunately atm we have fairly sub-par infrastructure for an event as big as the grand final in most states but it doesn't at all sit well with me and shouldn't sit well with others that one team can hold such an ill-gotten advantage over the other in such a massive game

What the hell has this got to do with travel?
The stats show that interstate sides win the GF more than they lose.
in the H&A season this year, west coast went 6-3-1 interstate
thus its fair for west coast to play all their their games interstate next year as the stats show they win more interstate than they lose :thumbsu:

It will be at the MCG until the contract expires which is 2035 I think. After that it will be bid out to the highest bidding city with maybe the MCG hosting it every second year.
Either way it would of made little difference this year, the Eagles had a horrific day and were beaten by a super club and side.
Apart from the obvious disappointment I am proud of the Eagles and the improvement we have made, it's a shame we didn't put up a better show but sometimes that happens. We are just starting our journey and I expect us to improve again next year.
Well done Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Grand Final should be hosted at a neutral venue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back