The Grand Final should be hosted at a neutral venue

Remove this Banner Ad

So change every other field because West Australians didn't think to make theirs wide enough?

Ease up.

I just meant for the Grand Final since it's the only game where there shouldn't be a home ground advantage.

Weird comment. I love the Grand Final. This may shock you, but a sentimental attachment to a concrete structure in Melbourne is not a prerequisite of loving the GF.
I'll tell you what i think is weird.
People know what the deal is with the MCG and grand final, but still need to whinge about where it's played.
13 grand finals have been played between a Vic v Interstate, and guess what it's 8 to 5 in the interstates favor, now that's weird considering it gives the Vics an advantage.

I'll tell you what i think is weird.
People know what the deal is with the MCG and grand final, but still need to whinge about where it's played.
13 grand finals have been played between a Vic v Interstate, and guess what it's 8 to 5 in the interstates favor, now that's weird considering it gives the Vics an advantage.
Heaven forbid that people would discuss the merits of holding the GF at the MCG in a thread about the merits of holding the GF at the MCG.

"They know the deal" do they? That reasoning is the very essence of unthinking conservatism, the belief that nothing should ever be done for the first time.

Maybe explain to me how a game like Aussie Rules has changed so dramatically over the years then.

Which it has, indisputably. But suddenly everyone goes all schmaltzy and misty-eyed when the subject is a bloody concrete donut.

I might be an old fart but I'm damn well not a sentimental old fart.

BTW if you'd read the whole thread you'd see that your "proof" was debunked about 10 pages back. Unless you eliminate every single other factor it's impossible to state categorically that there is no "home" advantage at the G to Melbourne teams. How do we know that those non-Victorian teams wouldn't have won every single one of those GFs if they'd been all held at a neutral ground?

Heaven forbid that people would discuss the merits of holding the GF at the MCG in a thread about the merits of holding the GF at the MCG.

"They know the deal" do they? That reasoning is the very essence of unthinking conservatism, the belief that nothing should ever be done for the first time.

Maybe explain to me how a game like Aussie Rules has changed so dramatically over the years then.

Which it has, indisputably. But suddenly everyone goes all schmaltzy and misty-eyed when the subject is a bloody concrete donut.

I might be an old fart but I'm damn well not a sentimental old fart.

BTW if you'd read the whole thread you'd see that your "proof" was debunked about 10 pages back. Unless you eliminate every single other factor it's impossible to state categorically that there is no "home" advantage at the G to Melbourne teams. How do we know that those non-Victorian teams wouldn't have won every single one of those GFs if they'd been all held at a neutral ground?
Haha yeah mate, great "reasoning", there is a contract to play the game there for another 20 years.
Not up to me to stop people like you having a good ole whinge about it though, to be honest i find it amusing.
How about you put up the proof that shows that Vic teams have an advantage then.

Haha yeah mate, great "reasoning", there is a contract to play the game there for another 20 years.
Not up to me to stop people like you having a good ole whinge about it though, to be honest i find it amusing.
How about you put up the proof that shows that Vic teams have an advantage then.
Glad I brought some light into your life.

I personally don't give a stuff where the granny is held. Just couldn't resist wading into the sentimental claptrap I'm seeing here, that people clearly believes passes for argument.

And I never said it was a fact that Vic teams have an advantage. I was pointing out the flaw in your argument that you felt showed conclusively there was no advantage. It did no such thing. Have a great day.

Glad I brought some light into your life.

I personally don't give a stuff where the granny is held. Just couldn't resist wading into the sentimental claptrap I'm seeing here, that people clearly believes passes for argument.

And I never said it was a fact that Vic teams have an advantage. I was pointing out the flaw in your argument that you felt showed conclusively there was no advantage. It did no such thing. Have a great day.
I'm with you, don't really care where it is played, will be a great spectacle anywhere.
And just to clarify, i did not state it as proof, i just showed that teams from outside of this state seem to be able to win more times than they lose.
One other thing, Vic. is the most central footy state of all, so unless they build a stadium in Canberra, i think it's still the best place to have it at the moment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes me laugh hearing the vic fans talk about how it means more to win at the g. For teams that play there once a year....no its a ground we dont see so how do we have a connection to it. It's those fans that make me smile whilst thinking of how the AFL Have probably screwed the league when gws and gold coast start smashing everyone. Cant wait to hear those same fans sook about it being unfair, and refuse to attend a gf between the 2 teams.

Not practical to declare the GF venue only a week out, but if you disregard that issue, you could adhere to the following to ensure state based neutrality.

Team's State v Team's State = GF Venue's State

WA v WA = WA
WA v SA = QLD
WA v VIC = SA
WA v NSW = SA
WA v QLD = NSW
SA v SA = SA
SA v VIC = WA
SA v NSW = WA
SA v QLD = WA
VIC v VIC = VIC
VIC v NSW = QLD
VIC v QLD = NSW
NSW v NSW = NSW
NSW v QLD = SA
QLD v QLD = QLD

So the MCG would only have the GF if its an all Vic match (45 possible matches), 29 possible matches each in WA and SA, 25 possible matches each in QLD and NSW.

So MCG GFs should happen about 30% of the time....about 18% each for WA/SA and about 16% each for NSW/QLD... again this is assuming that all 5 cities have a suitable venue to host the GF in terms of capacity and facilities as per MCG standard.

Last edited:
the G is the G, you aspire to play in front of 100k there in the Granny with half those fans yours. i don't care where it is, it's the MCG, it doesn't matter to me that it's in Melbourne, the part that matters is getting a few more games there for the interstate teams in the H&A season.

This is bigger than city rivalries. Yes, it's a "national" competition, but the MCG is the best stadium in the country (by far, and always will be), and is the spiritual home and cultural home of sport in this country.

This goes well beyond "tradition". There's a romantic affiliation that Melburnians have with the stadium, the sport was born here, and so it should be respected as such as hosting the final game between the two best clubs of the season.

It shouldn't be about "home" vs "away".

Winning on the MCG on Grand Final day is the absolute best thing you can do. Hawthorn has mastered the stadium because it plays there so often, but interstate teams have played and won there many times.

Sydney in 2012? Brisbane x3. Adelaide x2. West Coast x2.

If you want to beat the best, you have to beat them at the cauldron. That's how it is, and how it always should be.

Hosting the Grand Final in Perth or Adelaide would be an indictment on what it actually means to win a Grand Final.

To win a flag, you need to win in Melbourne. Winning an AFL premiership goes hand-in-hand with winning in Melbourne. It's the ultimate honour.

I get that people who didn't grow up in Melbourne don't understand that, but it's astonishing how much some of you are undervaluing how important the sport is to this city. I'm sure it's important to other cities, but AFL is *ours*.

Interstate fans should embrace this and take it head-on, not have a winge that their towns don't host the final match of the year.

If you want to be the best, you need to come to the emerald city and snatch it away from us. We'll happily give it to you.

Made me laugh seeing people from Perth make up fake stories about how Victoria couldn't handle an all-interstate GF. That's just bullshit. We *want* to see the two best teams play, irrespective of where they're from.

Come here and we'll embrace it. Just don't have a cry that it should have been played in your small little city because you finished higher on the ladder.

Want the premiership cup? COME AND TAKE IT!

That's what it's about.

WOWEEEEEE

I can see the english using these lines for hosting every single world cup final

And being laughed at

The cost of one Grand Final ticket if it was held in another venue that holds less than 100K
tumblr_inline_ncxnm3VOSH1sg78pz.png

It should, but even I realize it never will.

Enjoy the backwards mentality. Also, that isn't to say Hawthorn should move out.

Hi Mikey.

Like Etihad stadium?

The designers of the new Perth stadium are making a mistake not to make the width of the ground similar to the MCG's width.
The eagles are making one of the two training grounds at our new complex mcg sized - the other will be the same shape as the new stadium

I'm glad this is picking up gusto.

It's something that the AFL need to pick up on. I can see the sport stalling and free-falling with popularity with failing to draw in new supporters whilst it's still this amateurish.

I get that the MCG is a wonderful facility, but at the moment having the Grand Final at the G is like having every international test match at the G, because you could technically maximize profits.

The contract side of things is rubbish also. You can amend the contract and re-instate it.

Considering most of the AFL's money comes from the TV rights deal, they wouldn't be losing much. If anything they could make more money from the Media.

Alternatively what the interstate teams need to do, is form a union.. form a breakaway league and professionalize the sport.
Though that could be a logistical nightmare for most and you'd need to incentivize a lot including (Players, teams, supporters).

Supporters would be easy, teams potentially too..
The hard part would be the players, and the funding they would get...

In saying that it would leave the AFL in a lurch considering they are contracted to have 'x' amount of teams and 'x' amount of games.
And a drop off in following would result in a drop off of money.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Grand Final should be hosted at a neutral venue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back