The Grand Final should be hosted at a neutral venue

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think you will find many wc or freo supporters who want a granny at subi - its a shithole, however:

You dont need a 100000 seat stadium for a good grand final - 70-80k is fine - very few stadia these days are built at 100k as they tend to be white elephants

Last 4 World cup finals have had attendance as follows - if a stadium that size is good enough for the biggest sporting event in the world .......

International Stadium YokohamaYokohama, Japan69,029[41][42]
2006Italy
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
1–1
Double-dagger-14-plain.png

[n 8]
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
FranceOlympiastadionBerlin, Germany69,000[43][44]
2010Spain
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
1–0
Dagger-14-plain.png

[n 9]
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
NetherlandsSoccer CityJohannesburg, South Africa84,490[45][46]
2014Germany
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
1–0
Dagger-14-plain.png

[n 10]
23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
ArgentinaEstádio do MaracanãRio de Janeiro, Brazil74,738

Around about the time the g's contract finishes, adelaide, sydney, perth and melbs will all have gf class stadia - at that time we should start to rotate it - id say on a one in melb - one interstate, one in melb - one interstate basis
Yeah okay Ill go with 70k-80k, but I live in WA as well which is why I made the comment re Subi.

I dont think you will find many wc or freo supporters who want a granny at subi - its a shithole, however:

You dont need a 100000 seat stadium for a good grand final - 70-80k is fine - very few stadia these days are built at 100k as they tend to be white elephants

Last 4 World cup finals have had attendance as follows - if a stadium that size is good enough for the biggest sporting event in the world .......

International Stadium YokohamaYokohama, Japan69,029[41][42]
2006Italy
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
1–1
Double-dagger-14-plain.png

[n 8]
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
FranceOlympiastadionBerlin, Germany69,000[43][44]
2010Spain
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
1–0
Dagger-14-plain.png

[n 9]
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
NetherlandsSoccer CityJohannesburg, South Africa84,490[45][46]
2014Germany
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
1–0
Dagger-14-plain.png

[n 10]
23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
ArgentinaEstádio do MaracanãRio de Janeiro, Brazil74,738

Around about the time the g's contract finishes, adelaide, sydney, perth and melbs will all have gf class stadia - at that time we should start to rotate it - id say on a one in melb - one interstate, one in melb - one interstate basis

Yup Super Bowl the same. Rotates around US, most venues 60-80k.

No one play cricket in NSW/QLD?
Already answered that one... our suburban cricket grounds are generally smaller than the SCG.

It really is a dive - i go to etihad once a year and marvel at how ****in spoilt collingwood fans are when they refuse to attend games there
Yeah either the 'G or ES are a dream compared to Subi, but not long and hopefully we will have a SOTA stadium, my youngest keeps asking why I don't take her to Richmond games when they are over here but at 52 years old and 6'3" my knees cant take three hours jammed into the back of old wooden seats.

there's no way in the world you could have it at a neutral ground unless we have a purpose built stadium that football sides don't use. otherwise you couldn't commit to organizing it at a particular venue until after the grand finalists are decided. could you imagine trying to organize the grand final on the monday after the prelim? people really need to consider logistics before the come up with crazy suggestions.

Build it on wheels!

I fail to see how Brisbane are in a more financially viable position than Essendon.

The AFL will never let Brisbane die.

The AFL is unlikely to let Essendon die.

Therefore Brisbane is more viable, financially, than Essendon, because whatever they do, the league will always bail them out.

Yeah okay Ill go with 70k-80k, but I live in WA as well which is why I made the comment re Subi.

70-80k would be fine, but there is a lot more than the stadium that matters here.

50-60,000 people (40K+ corporates, ~15K opposition fans) would want to go to the match. The city that hosts must be able to handle that (airport capacity, hotels, restaurants, bars, etc).

70-80k would be fine, but there is a lot more than the stadium that matters here.

50-60,000 people (40K+ corporates, ~15K opposition fans) would want to go to the match. The city that hosts must be able to handle that (airport capacity, hotels, restaurants, bars, etc).

In 1962 we hosted the commonwealth games - now im aware that melbourne is the biggest city in the universe,the hub of the galaxy and very very big - but im sure perth and adelaide wouldnt struggle too much with a one off event. Sydney should manage as well.

In 1962 we hosted the commonwealth games - now im aware that melbourne is the biggest city in the universe,the hub of the galaxy and very very big - but im sure perth and adelaide wouldnt struggle too much with a one off event. Sydney should manage as well.

How many people came for the 1962 comm games? How many wanted to come and go over one weekend?

Every year a WA team even looks like making the GF happens, we hear so many complains about how getting ~15K fans from WA to Melbourne and back is a massive problem, with flights booked out even after prices are ramped up. Imagine 3-4 times that many going the other way.

That it's a one off event is actually a bigger issue... Hotels, airports, etc. don't miraculously add extra capacity for 'one offs', but regular, events, especially when there are a bunch of them (things like Melbourne Cup, F1 GP, boxing day test, and yes, other big AFL games like ANZAC day) then they make sure they can handle them.

Sydney could handle it, and Adelaide would have a better chance than Perth (being closer to Melbourne and Sydney provides a lot more options...For transport particularly, but that flows on into other areas).

How many people came for the 1962 comm games? How many wanted to come and go over one weekend?

Every year a WA team even looks like making the GF happens, we hear so many complains about how getting ~15K fans from WA to Melbourne and back is a massive problem, with flights booked out even after prices are ramped up. Imagine 3-4 times that many going the other way.

That it's a one off event is actually a bigger issue... Hotels, airports, etc. don't miraculously add extra capacity for 'one offs', but regular, events, especially when there are a bunch of them (things like Melbourne Cup, F1 GP, boxing day test, and yes, other big AFL games like ANZAC day) then they make sure they can handle them.

Sydney could handle it, and Adelaide would have a better chance than Perth (being closer to Melbourne and Sydney provides a lot more options...For transport particularly, but that flows on into other areas).

When plane tickets are $3000 return you arent going to get 45000 - 60000 vics headed to perth to watch at a stadium with a capacity of 80k

Such a laughably victorian centred post though - delightfully full of hubris. The west coast eagles have a much larger support base than most vic clubs - what makes you think that 3-4 times as many hawks fans (or whoever) would try to come west when in reality only 15000 fans would be able to get tickets?

When plane tickets are $3000 return you arent going to get 45000 - 60000 vics headed to perth to watch at a stadium with a capacity of 80k

Such a laughably victorian centred post though - delightfully full of hubris. The west coast eagles have a much larger support base than most vic clubs - what makes you think that 3-4 times as many hawks fans (or whoever) would try to come west when in reality only 15000 fans would be able to get tickets?

If 15K from WA would do it, and Vic has ~3 times the population, then it's reasonable to assume that roughly 3 times as many Vics would do it...If they could. The problem wouldn't be the price, it's be the capacity (the price of flights goes up because 15k already pushes it to breaking point)...They couldn't put on that many more planes, even if they were available and they wanted to (do you think Perth airport could take ~200 more planes, each way on one weekend?).

Not saying that many hawks fans, I'm mostly talking about the corporates (You know, the people who get most of the seats) They're also the people who wouldn't care all that much about the price, as it wouldn't be coming out of their pockets....They're also the ones who would get very upset that the big client they're trying to schmooze is forced onto a redeye flight then accommodated in a shoebox and forced to eat at McDonalds (after queueing for 30 mins).

there's no way in the world you could have it at a neutral ground unless we have a purpose built stadium that football sides don't use. otherwise you couldn't commit to organizing it at a particular venue until after the grand finalists are decided. could you imagine trying to organize the grand final on the monday after the prelim? people really need to consider logistics before the come up with crazy suggestions.

Can you imagine the logistics of trying to organise prelims at previously unknown locations only one week beforehand! That would be crazy!

Your argument only applies to the massively inflated corporate packages sold months in advance. The real fans of the competing clubs face the exact same logistical challenges at the last minute you talk about in your post. At least the non-Vic fans do anyway, and we're alway told to suck it up, so since the Vics are the 'genuine heartland' supporters I'm sure they'd have no issue dealing with it occasionally.

People on here constantly state the prelims are the real fans finals and that the GF allocations make it too corporate, but then are happy to defend the corporate money grab when it suits them. Self interest rules as always.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you imagine the logistics of trying to organise prelims at previously unknown locations only one week beforehand! That would be crazy!

Your argument only applies to the massively inflated corporate packages sold months in advance. The real fans of the competing clubs face the exact same logistical challenges at the last minute you talk about in your post. At least the non-Vic fans do anyway, and we're alway told to suck it up, so since the Vics are the 'genuine heartland' supporters I'm sure they'd have no issue dealing with it occasionally.

People on here constantly state the prelims are the real fans finals and that the GF allocations make it too corporate, but then are happy to defend the corporate money grab when it suits them. Self interest rules as always.

No, they're willing to recognise that the corporate attendance (mostly sponsors and the like, not packages actually) isn't going to change.

Taking 1000 seats off sponsors...Sure...OF course, that'd probably cost the AFL a couple of million, so to make that money up, they'd need to charge each patron a couple of grand...but that's OK, right?

You also need to factor in the AFL members having to travel...After all, the AFL will want them to have seats, because they make big money there too...

As for the prelim...How many people travel for that? Do you really think it compares?

No, they're willing to recognise that the corporate attendance (mostly sponsors and the like, not packages actually) isn't going to change.

You can recognise something should change without conceding it necessarily will change.

Most Vics are happy to defend it as not needing to change because it suits their interests.

You can recognise something should change without conceding it necessarily will change.

Most Vics are happy to defend it as not needing to change because it suits their interests.

While most West Australians ignore the problems because it suits theirs.

While most West Australians ignore the problems because it suits theirs.

I think most of the 'problems' are overblown and related purely to money.

As a supporter I don't care if the AFL misses out on a few million a year if it means the integrity of the competition is enhanced. I suspect most of you don't care much for the AFL's bottom line either, but since your interests are aligned in this instance it makes for a convenient argument.

I think most of the 'problems' are overblown and related purely to money.

As a supporter I don't care if the AFL misses out on a few million a year if it means the integrity of the competitions is enhanced. I suspect most of you don't care much for the AFL's bottom line either, but since your interests are aligned in this instance it makes for a convenient argument.

OK, how do you fly 40-50,000 people, on less than a weeks notice to an appointed city, accommodate them, feed them and then get them back to where they came from?

Yes, the AFLs bottom line matters...They make millions from the game as it stands, and a move on that kind of notice would cost them a fortune. Are there any other facts that should be ignored because they suit the status quo?

BTW, I also like how WA fans conveniently decide how while a 100K stadium is just a number, when the number gets reset to the size their ground can be expanded to, it's all good...If 70K is OK, why not 50, so Adelaide can host? or 40 so it can be in Brisbane or Sydney? 30K and have it in Geelong! and of course, GWS/GC (and eventually, Tasmania) all deserve the right to host it, right? But no, WA fans 'conveniently' decide the acceptable number is what aligns with their interests.

OK, how do you fly 40-50,000 people, on less than a weeks notice to an appointed city, accommodate them, feed them and then get them back to where they came from?

We have to manage to organise it for ourselves despite apparently being isolated country bumkins. I'm sure the sophisticati from the east can manage.

BTW, I also like how WA fans conveniently decide how while a 100K stadium is just a number, when the number gets reset to the size their ground can be expanded to, it's all good...If 70K is OK, why not 50, so Adelaide can host? or 40 so it can be in Brisbane or Sydney? 30K and have it in Geelong! and of course, GWS/GC (and eventually, Tasmania) all deserve the right to host it, right? But no, WA fans 'conveniently' decide the acceptable number is what aligns with their interests.

What gave you the idea I was only applying this to the new Perth stadium?

Fair is fair. I'm perfectly happy for whichever state deserves it to host it. What do I care? The atmosphere of 30k genuine fans at the Gabba will sound the same on my tv as the atmosphere of 30k genuine fans at the MCG surrounded by a bunch of entitled corporates.

We have to manage to organise it for ourselves despite apparently being isolated country bumkins. I'm sure the sophisticati from the east can manage.

Sorry, no matter how sophisticated, I don't think anyone can get 40,000 bums on 15,000 seats (planes), or into 20,000 beds (hotels).

What gave you the idea I was only applying this to the new Perth stadium?

Fair is fair. I'm perfectly happy for whichever state deserves it to host it. What do I care? The atmosphere of 30k genuine fans at the Gabba will sound the same on my tv as the atmosphere of 30k genuine fans at the MCG surrounded by a bunch of entitled corporates.

Well, the corporates will get their tickets anyway, so those 30K at the Gabba will be AFL (staff and players), corporates + *maybe* the respective cheer squads.

BTW..What are you going to cut from the AFL budget to cover the millions in lost income?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Grand Final should be hosted at a neutral venue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back