Society/Culture The great waste.

Remove this Banner Ad

AGT

Rookie
May 27, 2023
AFL Club
Fremantle
"Recent data from the Productivity Commission showed the annual operating cost of imprisoning a child was $2,068.32 a day and $761,507 each year. The Queensland government has announced the construction of two new youth detention centres – one in Cairns and another in south-east Queensland."

The actual numbers very depending on which report you read, and which state is involved, but none the less the cost is astronomical.

I have personally been incarcerated as an adult for a short period of time, a couple of months at a minimum security prison.

It was essentially an operational dairy farm in rural Victoria, I was basically used as slave labour for the privilege of serving my sentence and I was very thankful for the privilege.

Yes, the milk you buy at IGA in some parts of rural Victoria is quite literally manufactured by prisoners of the state.

Dhurringile prison for those interested.

But I digress.

I was made to believe the cost was somewhere in the neighbourhood of $500 per day for my incarnation, which sounded exorbitant at the time, the Productivity Commission puts the number at $40,000pa in 2019 and the Australian law reform commission places a number of almost 62 thousand dollars per year in 2019.

All these numbers sound astronomically high, especially given the cost of living crisis plaguing our nation.

It's even more astonishing when you consider crime is on the increase along with the rate of recidivism.

Where is this money going, and why isn't it producing results?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's even more astonishing when you consider crime is on the increase along with the rate of recidivism.

They way we incarcerate people needs to be reviewed and focusing on avoidance in the first place and then rehabilitation afterwards.

You want less people in gaol not more.

"Recent data from the Productivity Commission showed the annual operating cost of imprisoning a child was $2,068.32 a day and $761,507 each year. The Queensland government has announced the construction of two new youth detention centres – one in Cairns and another in south-east Queensland."

The actual numbers very depending on which report you read, and which state is involved, but none the less the cost is astronomical.

I have personally been incarcerated as an adult for a short period of time, a couple of months at a minimum security prison.

It was essentially an operational dairy farm in rural Victoria, I was basically used as slave labour for the privilege of serving my sentence and I was very thankful for the privilege.

Yes, the milk you buy at IGA in some parts of rural Victoria is quite literally manufactured by prisoners of the state.

But I digress.

I was made to believe the cost was somewhere in the neighbourhood of $500 per day for my incarnation, which sounded exorbitant at the time, the Productivity Commission puts the number at $40,000pa in 2019 and the Australian law reform commission places a number of almost 62 thousand dollars per year in 2019.

All these numbers sound astronomically high, especially given the cost of living crisis plaguing our nation.

You tell us why it isn't producing results? What was the general attitude of the other crooks you were locked up with?

Did you personally think you need to be rehabilitated, or was it all so unfair and you just wanted to do your time quietly and be done with it? You don't sound too happy about having to pay some of your way while you were in there.

You tell us why it isn't producing results? What was the general attitude of the other crooks you were locked up with?

Did you personally think you need to be rehabilitated, or was it all so unfair and you just wanted to do your time quietly and be done with it? You don't sound too happy about having to pay some of your way while you were in there.
If you look at rates of recidivism and the cost annum for keeping a prisoner I don't think it's unreasonable to question value for money.

If you look at rates of recidivism and the cost annum for keeping a prisoner I don't think it's unreasonable to question value for money.

It's not that which I'm questioning, I'm questioning the poster's personal experience and what they saw / heard / experienced.

Generalising but a lot of crooks are very poorly educated and lazy and have had poor role models from the moment they're born.

When they get released from prison, what if they have no family or social network? They have nowhere to live and no job, they're stand on the precipice again with one foot on a banana peel, so what do they do? They revert to what they know and follow the path of least resistance.

Where can they live when there are law abiding citizens and workers living in cars and tents in parks.

So much money is wasted on rehabilitation for people that either don't want to be rehabilitated, or aren't ready yet, they're still fighting the system and like an addiction, until they want to change it's all a big, expensive waste.

It's pointless comparing our system to Scandinavian systems because we have a different culture / mindset. Sure we can aspire to be like others but how do we change the culture?

More great waste from government.

So a company responsible for one of the world's best ticketing system, operating on one of the world's best transport systems and who tendered a lower price isn't the people we're looking for.

It's not that which I'm questioning, I'm questioning the poster's personal experience and what they saw / heard / experienced.

Generalising but a lot of crooks are very poorly educated and lazy and have had poor role models from the moment they're born.

When they get released from prison, what if they have no family or social network? They have nowhere to live and no job, they're stand on the precipice again with one foot on a banana peel, so what do they do? They revert to what they know and follow the path of least resistance.

Where can they live when there are law abiding citizens and workers living in cars and tents in parks.

So much money is wasted on rehabilitation for people that either don't want to be rehabilitated, or aren't ready yet, they're still fighting the system and like an addiction, until they want to change it's all a big, expensive waste.

It's pointless comparing our system to Scandinavian systems because we have a different culture / mindset. Sure we can aspire to be like others but how do we change the culture?

There's to much ignorance in this post for me to reply, although some questions are valid you've asked them in a profoundly bad way.

Try again.

There's to much ignorance in this post for me to reply, although some questions are valid you've asked them in a profoundly bad way.

Try again.

Ignorance how? What are you answers to the valid ones?

Just so there's no gottcha, I worked in a prison for a number of years and not a low security one.

More great waste from government.

So a company responsible for one of the world's best ticketing system, operating on one of the world's best transport systems and who tendered a lower price isn't the people we're looking for.
Dan needed to help out one of his mates then when questioned he wont recall it, everyone will cheer his scumminess and life goes on. Somehow this prick is teflon despite being slimy as ****

Its almost like from the bottom up scandinavians see life differently.

Its almost like education is free, teachers are well paid and the social safety net is properly funded as Scandinavians see it as cheaper than ignoring people right up to the point where you spend lots punishing them.

But I digress.

Is crime on the increase? Murder rates are a third of what they were 30 years ago.

my plain open desk at work costs 25 thousand a year. It has no walls, no bed or tv, provides no food and requires minimum security. I think 62 thousand sounds about normal. Not low but not high either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture The great waste.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back