The greatest Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

1989 was up there (even though it was before my time), but in terms of games I was alive for, would have to go with 2009. Close from start to finish with plenty of memorable moments, just a really good advertisement for the game. The first game of 2010 was up there too, wish it had ended that week...

2013 would have been good if Geelong had got over the top of Freo in the first week, and faced off against the Hawks in the GF... alas, we are left to wonder what could have been.

2010 for sure, biased but still an incredible game.

I get chills thinking about what could've been if Lenny had run maybe 15 more metres and kicked the goal... It would've been even more heckas if they had done the 5 minute warning. I can only imagine that stress.

I'm pretty sure I could rattle off the last few minutes' commentary for you :p

2006. The last quarter had me on the edge of my seat. The Eagles were leading by as much as 5 goals earlier in the game. It was just goal for goal from the start of the final term and the defining moment was Chick's smother and Hunter's goal which won us the game. Thought it could be a draw in the dying minutes.

"Who would've thought the sequel would be just as good as the original, the West Coast Eagles are the premiers for 2006!" Best commentary by Huddo.

I always think that about those who say the 1989 grand final is the best ever. The first quarter makes that game look like it's going the way of the previous year's grand final. Geelong stop the thrashing but still trail by six goals at 3QT. There is never any sense that Hawthorn aren't in complete control until a late rally by Geelong. But even then their last goal is kicked in the dying seconds, which still puts them out of reach of victory. Geelong never led, and were never a chance to win.

Agree with this - Geel were never a chance

So overrated 1989. Geelong were never really a winning chance.

Hard to judge the ones your own side has played in so I'll say the draw in 2010.

Understand where people are coming from with these, but as I posted in another thread the progression of the scorebaord is not really what made this game so great.

We have had some good ones in recent years, 2012 was really good I thought. For me, a game is more 'epic' not when it is close all day so much, but more when both side genuinely look to have grabbed the ascendency at different points - this is what the crowd all responds to as well. 2012 had that.

Mid 80's my brother was playing for Greensborough Reserves against Lalor at Laor in the Grand Final.

Lalor were seven goals up and coming home in the last quarter with a massive gale behind them and started celebrating in the 3/4 time huddle.

Can't even remember who the 'Boro coach was that was going off his nut about it but we ALL had that spine-tingling feeling something was about to happen.

The Mighty 'Boro Boys won on the last kick of the day and they couldn't get all the people celebrating off the ground to start the seniors GF for about twenty minutes.

1989 & 2009 are the only GF's where the losing team outscored the winning team in 3 of the 4 quarters.
Just sayin'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1976 SANFL Grand Final - Sturt (actually it was more Rick Davies singlehandedly) vs Port in front of nearly 67000 at Football Park, closely followed by the '97 AFL Grand Final....

1978 SANFL Grand Final. Unbeatable Sturt 29 points up at Lemon time but the Legs get up by a point.

How could we forget 67?!

Errr...who was playing?

Richmond and Geelong. It was tight all day with Richmond winning by 9 points after kicking goals at the 25 minute and 28 minute marks of the last quarter.

Q1
Richmond 4.3.27
Geelong 3.3.21

Q2
Richmond 9.10.64
Geelong 7.6.48

Q3
Richmond 12.15.87
Geelong 13.7.85

Q4
Richmond 16.18.114
Geelong 15.15.105

Here's a description of the last quarter (from wikipedia):

Geelong had their chances in the final quarter but were inaccurate, scoring eight behinds. The lead changed several times in the quarter. At the 18 minute mark with Geelong holding a 6 point lead, John Ronaldson marked about 60 yards out on the flank and slotted an unlikely goal leveling the scores. Geelong scored a point followed by Richmond a few minutes later and at the 23 minute mark the scores were level again. Ronaldson, kicking from 55 yards on the opposite flank scored a goal at the 25 minute mark followed by Kevin Bartlett goaling at the 28 minute mark sealing the game. The closing minutes played at a furious pace by both teams despite the tiredness of the players including a defensive captains' mark by Fred Swift (playing in his last VFL game) on the Geelong goal-line

Also, Royce Hart took this mark:

152981-royce-hart.jpg

Richmond and Geelong. It was tight all day with Richmond winning by 9 points after kicking goals at the 25 minute and 28 minute marks of the last quarter.

Q1
Richmond 4.3.27
Geelong 3.3.21

Q2
Richmond 9.10.64
Geelong 7.6.48

Q3
Richmond 12.15.87
Geelong 13.7.85

Q4
Richmond 16.18.114
Geelong 15.15.105

152981-royce-hart.jpg

Royce harrrrrt, you beauty!

We won a flag in 2005, but I still can't go past 1989.

You just had to see or watch it live, to understand the epic scope of that GF. The almost supernatural greatness of Gary Ablett Senior.

1997. The end of 2005. Leo Barry. One of the greatest Grand Final plays ever. 2009 was an awesome game. Sydney's win in 2012. Brisbane's 3-peat in 2003, a blowout game but the way they rolled Collingwood was awesome.

Q1
Richmond 4.3.27
Geelong 3.3.21

Q2
Richmond 9.10.64
Geelong 7.6.48

Q3
Richmond 12.15.87
Geelong 13.7.85

Q4
Richmond 16.18.114
Geelong 15.15.105

152981-royce-hart.jpg

What that article fails to mention is the type of kick Ronaldson used - he was exactly where that Port player was last week - when he had the shot to get Port into the GF - but a further 10 metres out from goal - and from there John Ronaldson kicked a DROP KICK straight through the middle - id love to see a modern day player try to do that - theyd be there for a month

Remove this Banner Ad

The greatest Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back