The Heatwave

Remove this Banner Ad

Only got to 35.9 here in Frankston. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Reached 46.1 at Scoresby (the closest temperature readout to me), but with the wind it only felt like early to mid 30's.

It has become extra windy over the last hour, freaking insane - it knocked the power out for a few minutes just prior to 5:30.

Avalon was 47.9C not 46.9C

The Conclurry temperature as mentioned has been long discounted as innaccurate and the all time Aus record remains Oodnadatta at 50.7C. Mildura has also never reached 50C, any such report was not using official recognised instruments or exposure etc. 45.6C was the old Mildura record (same as Melb's old record) and that has now been broken. Avalon currently has the new state record with it's 47.9C but am waiting on the official final figure from Hopetoun before making the final call.

Also few 47's in SA as well with Cobdogla, Renmark, Port Augusta and Tarcoola to name a few. Adelaide is lucky the change was through there, would have hit 47C there today with the atmospheric conditions.

I'm sure there are places that are hotter than the hottest towns in Australia.

Now its raining where i live, talk about unpredictable, good for the bushfires

EDIT: talk about quick, lasted for atleast 2 mins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As you say that is unofficial. The highest official is Oodnadatta I think it was 50.7

http://www.theage.com.au/national/city-swelters-records-tumble-in-heat-20090207-80ai.html

"I've got a massive spreadsheet here of maximum temperatures and it doesn't mean anything any more. The whole thing's gonna have to be rewritten," BoM senior forecaster Terry Ryan said.

The highest recorded temperature the Victoria has ever experienced was on January 7, 1906, when the mercury hit 50.7C in Mildura.

If this is true, it occurred more than 50 years prior to Oodnadatta's 50.7C. I wonder if it's a typo on the article.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/city-swelters-records-tumble-in-heat-20090207-80ai.html

"I've got a massive spreadsheet here of maximum temperatures and it doesn't mean anything any more. The whole thing's gonna have to be rewritten," BoM senior forecaster Terry Ryan said.

The highest recorded temperature the Victoria has ever experienced was on January 7, 1906, when the mercury hit 50.7C in Mildura.

If this is true, it occurred more than 50 years prior to Oodnadatta's 50.7C. I wonder if it's a typo on the article.

Yeah, not sure what is going on there. Either way it was bloody hot today.

Seems like half the garden is about to cark it after this heatwave... hopefully we get some rain to stave off an epidemic of horticultural death.

Yep put a couple of loads thru the washing machine last night to give the garden some water.
Best way to feed the garden, along with a bucket in the shower. My grass and plants are looking fine out back.

My mum wasn't happy when she came back from QLD to find most of her plants were looking worse for wear. As i said, i did all i could (going by water restrictions) but you can't do much when it was 40+ degrees across multiple days.

That is one of her methods as well (using water from the washing machine once it has finished the cycle), we live in an area that isn't too affected by the lack of rain.... it's only recently started to show (grass no longer being green etc).

It's actually kinda funny throughout last year, the local footy oval resembled a dirt track (99% of it was dirt - no grass on the ground). Jump forward a year later and it's like there has been no drought over there, everything appears as normal.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Heatwave

Remove this Banner Ad

Back