The High Performance Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
This thread will be for all news and opinions on the High Performance Centre for our AFL and AFLW teams.

What we know so far:

The High Performance Centre at this stage is planned to be built at the Rosny Parklands - but it is still subject to final approval from the Clarence City Council. It will be a primary site at the southern end of the Parklands, with a second oval that will be located at Charles Hand Park. It is expected to be completed by 2026. The cost is estimated to be $70m with $60m from the government and $10m from the AFL. It will be used by the AFL, AFLW, and VFL Tasmania Devils teams.

1710823586750.jpeg

Sources:

What are your thoughts on the HPC?

Putting it in Kingston would be another disaster. Access & parking is no better than Bellerive. Probably worse. Imagine development kids trying to get there from Northern & eastern suburbs after school. Traffic++++. Crap public transport.
Then any VFL AFLW games would also be a nightmare.
Rosny is the spot. Much easier access, Bus mall next door, DO IT.

A steep site, will be a lot of ground work to do. Would be a shame to put it in an existing 'green space'. And no, I'm not anti-stadium, in general.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you talking about JHand park, Rosny golf course or Kingston? What do you mean by 'not anti-stadium, in general'?Where do you think the HPC should go?
I mean that if someone says anything even remotely negative they're labelled a NIMBY, Battery Point w***er, etc, etc. I'm not against the team/stadium/facilities.
I'm talking about the Rosny area. Completely unsuitable, in my opinion.

The No group have forced an elector poll for the HPC.

Interestingly, in last week's Devils Update, GOB made the following points:
  • The final two locations that were considered for the Facility were Kingborough Council municipality at Twin Ovals and Clarence City Council at Rosny, both sites were deemed suitable, but Rosny was deemed to be the preferred site subject to further due diligence.
  • Within the City of Clarence precinct, Rosny was deemed the only suitable site for the Facility in the area, this is still the case today. The Clarence City Council are working tirelessly to progress this opportunity with the Government and the TFC.
  • It’s also important to note that the Kingborough Twin Ovals option remains under consideration whilst we are completing our investigative work.
It seems that if the people of Clarence fail to endorse the project, it won't go to another part of Clarence as the No group seem to want it to, but will instead go to the Twin Ovals site.

The No group have forced an elector poll for the HPC.

Interestingly, in last week's Devils Update, GOB made the following points:
  • The final two locations that were considered for the Facility were Kingborough Council municipality at Twin Ovals and Clarence City Council at Rosny, both sites were deemed suitable, but Rosny was deemed to be the preferred site subject to further due diligence.
  • Within the City of Clarence precinct, Rosny was deemed the only suitable site for the Facility in the area, this is still the case today. The Clarence City Council are working tirelessly to progress this opportunity with the Government and the TFC.
  • It’s also important to note that the Kingborough Twin Ovals option remains under consideration whilst we are completing our investigative work.
It seems that if the people of Clarence fail to endorse the project, it won't go to another part of Clarence as the No group seem to want it to, but will instead go to the Twin Ovals site.
Kingston will be bloody ecstatic. They'll not only get Jack Jumpers base but also be home to the Devils.
How this vote falls will be very interesting.

Kingston will be bloody ecstatic. They'll not only get Jack Jumpers base but also be home to the Devils.
How this vote falls will be very interesting.
I've got a feeling the council will ignore the result and push on unless the result is an overwhelming no.

Having the Jackjumpers next door only reaffirms my belief that Twin Ovals should have been the site chosen.

Has anyone else heard that initial geotechnical assessments at Rosny have found dolerite, which is very hard and expensive to break? I believe they're doing further investigations, but Kingston is still a live chance to get the HPC.
Interesting development.

It would be very sad if the elector poll gives a YES vote but then Rosny is ruled out due to Geo Tech.

The Save Rosny Parks group should have waited for the Geo Tech work results to be finalized before launching their public meeting and elector poll costing $200,000

Has anyone else heard that initial geotechnical assessments at Rosny have found dolerite, which is very hard and expensive to break? I believe they're doing further investigations, but Kingston is still a live chance to get the HPC.
They have said all along Clarence would be way more expensive,I think Kingston makes a lot more sense and I think this is what will happen now.

They have said all along Clarence would be way more expensive,I think Kingston makes a lot more sense and I think this is what will happen now.
There's a huge opportunity there to create a really impressive joint facility with the Jackjumpers. Kingborough has also been seeking funding for a new public pool, and this would give them that.

Remove this Banner Ad

The High Performance Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Back