Roast The Hun "Worst Trades Ever"

Remove this Banner Ad

It's got me how they can include any of the ones involving draft picks. The Chappy one for instance. On paper it's pick 31 for a fairly experienced workhorse type player. Geelong managed to unearth a diamond from pick 31. Some deadset legends of the game were picked ahead of him (Hase & Pav!) but also a fair share of duds. Geelong took David Spriggs at pick 15. If they had used that pick on Chappy and taken Spriggs at 31 then it would have been pretty even. These articles sh*t me to tears!

I think at the end of the day, Freo were massively screwed over with their own recruitment early and by both the AFL and some of the incompetants who were running the place early on. We used to call them the Claremont Dockers is was that rediculous the amount of Neesham influence.

Look at what GCS and GWS are handed as a comparison.

Anyone have any info on the Jeff White trade? This is where Freo got the compensation pick from Melbourne salary cap rorting.

yes both the afl and our own idiots hurt us early. neesham had such a massive influence as well that anything he wanted, he got.... no matter how crazy.

i cringe whenever i see what GC and GWS got in comparison to what we got. it really shows how little the afl cared for fremantle, and how desperate they are to see the two new teams suceed

not sure on jeff white, wouldnt have been much though, we got more through the extra compensation pick than what we would have with the actuall trade

Yeah but Medders didn't play last year and Tarrant is going back after the flag which makes it a bit better :)

Reid we will have to wait and see about I guess

How about if Tarrant does an achielles in rnd 1 forcing him into retirement and then Anthony goes on to bag 60+ goals for us! :D

Trade Karma... It can be a bitch sometimes

mcleod had no problems coming to perth, in fact he originally wanted to, its just that neesham offended him during his interview and eventually mcleod said anyone but fremantle.

I find it strange that McLeod's version is taken as gospel and Neesham's version of events dismissed as a pile of shit. I'm guessing that the truth is somewhere in the middle but without knowing both gentlemen it's only speculation.

some people love neesham, but he did more damage to our club in one year than what schwabbolly did in 5..... neesham was a cruel joke.

I'm no Neesham fan either, but the biggest issue is that he was given far too much power. In terms of results we won a reasonable amount of games during Neesham's reign considering the calibre of players at his disposal.

If he (along with Schwab and Connolly) had stuck to the job he was employed to do then he could have been successful.

Anyone have any info on the Jeff White trade? This is where Freo got the compensation pick from Melbourne salary cap rorting.

My recollection is that it was pick 2 (Brad Ottens) in '97 for White which we ontraded for Chris Bond. Then when it became apparent that the Demons had lured him home outside the rules the AFL took pity on us and granted us an extra compensation pick for the 99 draft (pick 5 Leigh Brown).

I find it strange that McLeod's version is taken as gospel and Neesham's version of events dismissed as a pile of shit. I'm guessing that the truth is somewhere in the middle but without knowing both gentlemen it's only speculation.

Neesham answers mcleods version of the story with "dont forget andrew mcleod was not always andrew mcleod" ..... now i might be reading it a little different, but that to me is neesham admitting that he got it wrong, but justifying it by saying "how was I to know the mcleod would turn out to be a legend".....

I'm no Neesham fan either, but the biggest issue is that he was given far too much power. In terms of results we won a reasonable amount of games during Neesham's reign considering the calibre of players at his disposal.

If he (along with Schwab and Connolly) had stuck to the job he was employed to do then he could have been successful.

I agree with all of this, in many ways Neesham was ahead of his time, but for all of his genius in some of his tactics, he was way too stubborn and pigheaded to admit that he was sometimes wrong, and that was in the end what brought him undone..... i just hate looking back on the list of recruiting and trading blunders that that period was riddled with (although it does help me appreciate our current situation all the more ;))

We got pick 5 from Melbourne for the 1995 draft I think

We picked Hase at no.2
We picked Pav at no. 4
We picked Leigh Brown at no.5 - overall 2/3 great picks esp. as we had 2 picks higher than no.5 anyway

That was in 1999 mate. In '95 we drafted Cliiiiiiiiiiive.

Our first picks in each draft were -
94- White (pick 1 overall)
95- Clive
96- ??? Not sure, maybe Sinclair or Black
97- Walker ( pick 6?)
98- J Lo (2) [Dessie to Bears pick 1]
99- Hasleby
2000- McPhee at pick 30 something ?? We traded ourfirst rounder, Clement, Holland and Sinclair for Bell.
2001- Polak pick 4
2002- Traded all our picks for Dessie and didn't have a selection inside the top 50. We picked Crowley, Edgecumbe and Doswell with our 3 picks but can't recall who was first.
2003- Ryley Dunn (pick 10) and Ryan Murphy (pick 12)
2004- Traded picks 11, 27 and 43 for J Carr and pciked duds with late selections (Swallow and Copping??).
2005- M Drum (pick 10) and probably the only draft out of 7 that can be seen as succesful under Schwab's reign because Drum, Warnock and Ibbotson are all still in the system.
2006- Traded picks for Tarrant and Solly then picked duds (Brock, Mourish and ??).
2007- Palmer (pick 7)
2008- Hill (pick 3)
2009- Morabito at 4.
2010- Pitt at 20?

No way known the Dessie trade was the worst ever for Freo. Des still played some good solid footy for Freo for 8 years... its not like he was woeful and then delisted straight away. If my memory serves me correctly, the trade was essentially Jared Brennan, Troy Selwood and McPhee for Headland and Crowley.

McPhee had 1 AA season but Brennan has only just started playing consistantly and Selwood has been delisted. We got plenty of games out of Headland and Crowley. While we lost the trade, it's hardly the worst of all time.

If you want to talk about shocker trades, how about #19 (David Mundy) for Steven Koops. Now that is a one-sided trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way known the Dessie trade was the worst ever for Freo. Des still played some good solid footy for Freo for 8 years... its not like he was woeful and then delisted straight away. If my memory serves me correctly, the trade was essentially Jared Brennan, Troy Selwood and McPhee for Headland and Crowley.

Picks 3, 19 and McPhee is essentially on-par with what the Eagles got for Judd though. To give that up for "a good solid" player is way over the odds.

McPhee was one of our few positives in 2001, to give him away 12 months later was silly. The fact that he plateaued at Essendon is somewhat irrelevant.

McPhee had 1 AA season but Brennan has only just started playing consistantly and Selwood has been delisted. We got plenty of games out of Headland and Crowley. While we lost the trade, it's hardly the worst of all time.

If you want to talk about shocker trades, how about #19 (David Mundy) for Steven Koops. Now that is a one-sided trade.

des was serial underachiever here, but we debate this often enough

when you put it in context of brennan/crowley/mcphee and headland/crowley... it doesnt look so bad

Picks 3, 19 and McPhee for Dessie and pick 50-odd is atleast on par in my opinion. :eek:

Except the 2002 draft was nothing special.

The 2001 draft is still quite likely the best draft thus far. I am utterly convinced that our trading and subsequent mixed drafting in that year did more to cost us a premiership than anything we did at foundation or since.

Except the 2002 draft was nothing special.

The 2001 draft is still quite likely the best draft thus far. I am utterly convinced that our trading and subsequent mixed drafting in that year did more to cost us a premiership than anything we did at foundation or since.

And the only draft that we had more than 2 picks in the first 2 rounds during Schwabbolly's reign was in 2003 which was possibly the worst draft last decade but luckily we got Mundy with our 3rd pick. Outside Cooney at pick 1 the first dozen players picked is a really weak group.

Its also a surprise the article didnt mention Freo giving up pick 2 for an aging Chris Bond going to his 3rd club, and in exchange the Tiges used it to pick Brad Ottens.

That wasn't the trade. We got a mid top 10 pick from Richmond as well, I think pick 6. They just traded Bond for a few spots higher in the draft.

mcleod had no problems coming to perth, in fact he originally wanted to, its just that neesham offended him during his interview and eventually mcleod said anyone but fremantle.... some people love neesham, but he did more damage to our club in one year than what schwabbolly did in 5..... neesham was a cruel joke

That's the version I remember hearing, apparently Neesham said something along the lines of the stud in his ear looking gay or pretty or something along those lines.

I also have it in my head that Neesham thought he had too many short, slow players in the squad with the likes of Bell, Farmer & McLeod.

I look forward to an article in the future detailing how we found a gem three years in a row that all other teams overlooked.

We hit the jackpot with Broughton, Barlow and Mzungu but we won't get any credit for it!

They will allways come back to the crap trades we made when we were amateurs at the game.

Tell me I'm dreamin! :)

That's the version I remember hearing, apparently Neesham said something along the lines of the stud in his ear looking gay or pretty or something along those lines.

I also have it in my head that Neesham thought he had too many short, slow players in the squad with the likes of Bell, Farmer & McLeod.

The Farmer for Phil Gilbert trade always gets relegated into the background in comparison to the McLeod deal.
But really, it was so incompetent that it deserves it's own thread.

The problem with Lloyd for Ridley trade is that it never happened. There was no trade. For Freo picking up an uncontracted player from Essendon, they in turn received a compensatory pick in the next draft. Lloyd was never available for Freo to obtain.

Not strictly true.

Lloyd was drafted in 1994 (same as Lucas) and debuted in 1995.

Your point stands, but the clubs from whom you signed uncontracted players were given compensatory picks in 1994 to be used on players who were 16 years old that year. Essendon took Lloyd for Ridley, Geelong King for O'Reilly, etc.

Speaking of which, O'Reilly to Carlton is hands down the worst trade in the history of the AFL, and while you didn't really benefit from it you certainly didn't fare as badly as the Blues did... :D

That wasn't the trade. We got a mid top 10 pick from Richmond as well, I think pick 6. They just traded Bond for a few spots higher in the draft.

I thought we traded pick 2 with Richmond for pick 5 and Chris Bond, which we then ontraded to Brisbane for pick 5 and Adrian Fletcher (as well as pick 26 which we took Brodie Holland).

2 team captain for an inexperienced side - not the worst trade (although Luke Power would have been nice at pick 5)

I look forward to an article in the future detailing how we found a gem three years in a row that all other teams overlooked.

We hit the jackpot with Broughton, Barlow and Mzungu but we won't get any credit for it!

They will allways come back to the crap trades we made when we were amateurs at the game.

Tell me I'm dreamin! :)
People like most of the Hun journoes tend to lag a bit.
3 or 4 years down the track, if Broughton etc turn out as well as it looks they will, they'll clock on.

Essendon still get the "speedsters" tag which isn't really the case, looking at our 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast The Hun "Worst Trades Ever"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back