The Jill Meagher case: please read notice in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has been an interesting conversation gents and one that could go on for days in all different directions and probably will, but i need to hit the sack.

Despite what I have said about the need for the details to made public, i am deeply saddened by what those close to Jill must be going through and what she probably went through in her final moments. It's a tragic crime, but unfortunately one that is all to common in our 'civilised' society. Hopefully we learn something from it that helps weed these sort of nutjobs out.

Night all.
my sentiments exactly.

My grandfather's message that he gave me before I went on my first overseas trip was that when you're having a good time, you let your guard down, and bad things happen. My mate was overseas. Jill Meagher was out at work drinks and was probably having a top night. John McCarthy was overseas and drunk as well. Sadly, these things happen. The best you can do is try to make sure they don't happen to you and your loved ones, but who can be eternally vigilant? And it is sad that in so many ways we have to be.

He also said 'back in my day, when someone said they were from Collingwood, you walked the other way'. Top advice, IMO.

Wise man your Granddad.

Yeah, that's the thing. Various knobs saying she shouldn't have been out alone. Firstly, why shouldn't she? She has as much right as anyone to walk the streets from a good time to her home without fear of being r*ped and murdered.

Secondly, and more practically, she would have done that so many times. She would have thought "My husband is right close anyway and there's loads of people around and I've done it a million times".

It is so trite to say "she just got unlucky" about a human being who has clearly spent her last moments in unimaginmable pain and terror, but it is the sad truth.

2exot9k.png

I reckon the cops will ask for suppression of the name as Hamish the Lateline Journo suggested in his kost recent Tweet.

His family members could face attacks/retaliation/God knows what.

Every chance he has kids as well - is of the age and appears to be married.

Local resident 'Nicky' also comments... Surely not!!

Local resident Nicky said it was a terrible tragedy.
"It is just horrific," he said. "It is good to know that the police and the community have worked together and arrested someone, but it is a tragedy that women have to feel vulnerable in a big community. It is not dangerous around here."

If only for a moment... :(

If the bloke's married, that means a whole lot of other lives he's destroyed too...

People, thanks for the level of discussion over the last few days, particularly tonight.

In the midst of this horrific crime, posting and reading this thread has somehow been comforting (if that's the right word).

After watching the CCTV footage again, does anyone else think the first time he went past he may have been going up to Hope St to make sure there was no one else up the street in hopes of luring or following Jill or another vulnerable woman up there away from the busier Sydney St? From the looks of it on street view it looks like a bit of a dodgy area and if he's from around there and knows the area well, it may have been pre-meditated (wait for drunk, lone girl to come up the street in the early hours)?
This whole thing has made me sick to my stomach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitzsimmons tweeting that they cannot release the suspect's name until he is formally charged.

I assume they won't formally charge him until they find the body, and the suspect won't tell them exactly where the body is for whatever reason.

So currently he's being held on an abduction charge, while Victoria Police search for the body, with/without his help.

The assumption is that when the body is found, the suspect will be charged and his name will be released, unless VicPol request a suppression order.

Jesus. I feel sick. And angry.

That poor, beautiful girl with her life all before her snuffed out by some piece of scum in a field in ****ing Coburg.

For anybody who is unfamiliar with the area I'm picturing, Newlands Road is flanked by factory upon factory on one side and open industrial wasteland on the opposite.

It's a scary desolate shithole and I used to live just up the road in Reservoir, so the area is very familiar to me and the feeling of loneliness at night is a particularly strong one.

To think that there is where Jill met her demise is truly gut wrenching.

My heart goes out to her, her husband and her family.

Cool. :thumbsu: I guess it would be a good sub-board to discuss unsolved crimes like Jack the Ripper etc too.

If I get waylaid, give me a prod re this board.

(There is a certain irony with someone with the screen name of Ed Gein requesting a crime board...)

Yeah, that's the thing. Various knobs saying she shouldn't have been out alone. Firstly, why shouldn't she? She has as much right as anyone to walk the streets from a good time to her home without fear of being r*ped and murdered.

Secondly, and more practically, she would have done that so many times. She would have thought "My husband is right close anyway and there's loads of people around and I've done it a million times".

It is so trite to say "she just got unlucky" about a human being who has clearly spent her last moments in unimaginmable pain and terror, but it is the sad truth.
Agreed. What can you do? She walked 500 metres on a busy street. She was 500 metres from home. She could have been snatched by a taxi driver. She could have been snatched out the front of her house. The streets could have been devoid of women past midnight, but this bloke would have still sought a victim somehow. It's a terrible set of events.

The new footage, taken from an art store's security camera about 300m from a spot where Ms Meagher was recorded by another camera interacting with a man in a blue hoodie.
Victoria Police refused to comment on the grainy footage and whether the figures it depicted were Ms Meagher and the man in the blue hoodie shown on CCTV footage taken from a nearby bridal shop.
Police would also not confirm an earlier News Limited report that additional CCTV footage shows the same unknown man running towards the Irish national.
There are about 15 visible CCTV cameras between Bar Etiquette in Sydney Road, Brunswick, where Ms Meagher had been drinking, and the bridal shop where she was last seen at 1.43am on Saturday. Police so far have released only the footage from the bridal store camera.

From the latest article.

Sounds like the other CCTV was absolutely damning. Just can't believe none of the people around realized something bad was happening :(

The guys name will be out tomorrow, no matter what the courts do.

Jesus. I feel sick. And angry.

That poor, beautiful girl with her life all before her snuffed out by some piece of scum in a field in ******* Coburg.

For anybody who is unfamiliar with the area I'm picturing, Newlands Road is flanked by factory upon factory on one side and open industrial wasteland on the opposite.

It's a scary desolate shithole and I used to live just up the road in Reservoir, so the area is very familiar to me and the feeling of loneliness at night is a particularly strong one.

To think that there is where Jill met her demise is truly gut wrenching.

My heart goes out to her, her husband and her family.

Good post. It is so trite to think of "ourselves" given the horror that has happened but the reality is we are going to be seeing those pics of her on lamp posts and having to walk or drive or get the tram past the relevant areas and it will bring these feelings back.

I can't even imagine how her husband and family and friends must be feeling now.

Living a nightmare unfortunately, DOS.

Just off topic this, but a kid I went to school with had his old man just disappear off the face of the earth.

Never sighted, never found.

Keith Nixon was his name.

You can't imagine the hell those families have to deal with in these situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back