The Jill Meagher case: please read notice in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting some clarification and what can or can't be posted re the guy charged. Until then, can we skirt around the specifics about his history.

Please note: I can't edit or delete a post of this nature until the legal guys look over it.

Again, what is the point of this post?
Is it to make people feel bad because they feel bad about this case?

This is not the time to be smug. There are other issues that you can use to make you feel good about yourself. Go to those threads.

No that's not what I'm saying DT. I'm saying the first few pages where people don't seem particularly concerned are strange.

It fits in to the discussion about women having the live with a constant fear of violence.

Nice work, bigfooty detective agency. Book him, boys.

Oh wait, it's not the husband? But his body language was so unconvincing!

The change in tone in this thread from when it became obvious it wasn't the husband is bizarre. The first few pages are all "lol its the husband sucked in", and now it's sensational tabloid outrage.

As discussed earlier, the reality is that 95 per cent of women of this age wbho are killed, are killed by their partner or ex partner.

If he pleads guilty, doesn't it go straight to sentencing? No jury.
No.
First he must go to court to get a mention, then its a committal hearing and then its court (Supreme in this instance). In very rare cases you can be sentenced at the committal hearing.

Sentencing will be 12 months away minimum I would have thought.

No.
First he must go to court to get a mention, then its a committal hearing and then its court (Supreme in this instance). In very rare cases you can be sentenced at the committal hearing.

What sort of cases have done so in the past?

My understanding is that discussion of any alleged criminal activity or prosecution of the arrested man in the past cannot be published while / before he has been tried, once charges are laid. So as not to prejudice a potential judge or jury. So, yeah, don't be posting links to photos of the person involved or articles referring to the past.

As discussed earlier, the reality is that 95 per cent of women of this age wbho are killed, are killed by their partner or ex partner.

You keep spouting this line - earlier it was 97% - yet I actually don't think it's true. I'd be interested to see some statistics which suggest the rates of intimate partner killings are anywhere near that high.

It hasn't taken the Hun's readership long to decry the lack of CCTV in the city.

"Hang the maggots!"

The same people that will complain in a years time about the government or 'big brother' trying to control their lives when they install more CCTVs around the city no doubt

Should be more of them everywhere

You have a hard-on for me because I dislike Ross Lyon, so referencing discussions we had on a housing forum 2-3 years ago is your attempt to get me riled up?
Getting you riled up isn't much of a challenge, you seem bitterly angry about your place in the world. The sheer delight you seem to so often take in others' misfortunes is what interests me. I bet you were doing the first of those things in your signature when this news came out.

It is not at all surprising to see you pop your head in and act all smug about the death of someone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep - pretty hard to get an impartial jury if they had read that article.
I am certainly not an expert in law, but I cannot understand why a jury should not be advised of a persons past in cases like this?

Surely they need to understand that this lowlife is a predator with a history who will, in all probability, re-offend if he has the opportunity of being released again. Past activities need to be taken into consideration when assessing not only this crime but also the person committing it.

I am certainly not an expert in law, but I cannot understand why a jury should not be advised of a persons past in cases like this?

Surely they need to understand that this lowlife is a predator with a history who will, in all probability, re-offend if he has the opportunity of being released again. Past activities need to be taken into consideration when assessing not only this crime but also the person committing it.

If they know he has a criminal history, especially for sexual assault, it makes it almost impossible to find a jury that will allow him to have a fair trial, which he is entitled to.

Getting you riled up isn't much of a challenge, you seem bitterly angry about your place in the world. The sheer delight you seem to so often take in others' misfortunes is what interests me. I bet you were doing the first of those things in your signature when this news came out.

It is not at all surprising to see you pop your head in and act all smug about the death of someone.

Srs brah, you keep such close tabs on me?

In all honesty I wasn't fapping on this occasion, but I have to admit I was masturbating when the news of Princess Di's death came out and continued to fap throughout the coverage.

My condolences to the family and those close to Jill.

RIP

I just went back to page 6 and had another look at the cctv footage. It shows what are presumably some of the last moments of a life and its a chancing view. If she stops a few yards further up Sydney Road the moments aren't recorded and seemingly the case may not have been pieced together.

I think posts in this thread which quoted or referenced that advertiser article regarding any past criminal history this guy might have should be edited or removed.

I think it is entirely possible that his alleged criminal past are the details that cant be made public for fear of corrupting the judicial process.

Yep, precisely. grizzlym - I think someone cut and pasted the Addy article into a post a few pages back. You need to take that down and any references to his criminal past.

It hasn't taken the Hun's readership long to decry the lack of CCTV in the city.

"Hang the maggots!"
To be fair, 99% of Melbourne probably feel this way at the moment.

Can you please not use this as a chance to take pot shots at the Herald Sun or its readership.
Thankyou.

Nor am I, but basically you are assessing a crime, and that assesment needs to be based on the facts available pertaining to that crime, and nothing else. The man's past is technically irrelevant to whether or not he is guilty of this specific crime. Sure, it might make it more probable that he did it, but guilty/not guilty is always based on provable facts, not probable assumptions.
<notsurehere>Priors, character, etc only matter for sentencing.</notsurehere>

No.

Sentencing will be 12 months away minimum I would have thought.

No committal if he pleads guilty.

To be fair, 99% of Melbourne probably feel this way at the moment.

Can you please not use this as a chance to take pot shots at the Herald Sun or its readership.
Thankyou.
LOL. Your love of that newspaper is bizarre, to say the least.

Anyway, further CCTV wouldn't do a thing. He was caught on CCTV. He did it anyway.

Fair point. But surely the fact that he does have a criminal history, especially for sexual assualt, should be taken into consideration as he has a history of similar crimes.

Also (and I know that this is a stupid comparison to make at this time) in a legal sense that makes the AFL's carry over points system even more ridiculous.

I assume his criminal history will be taken into account when/if he is sentenced.

Though, you would think his past is irrelevant in this case, he will get life either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back