The Jill Meagher case: please read notice in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would happily see this bloke put to the death penalty, but not necessarily as retribution or revenge. I simply hate the thought that I am paying to feed, cloth and house this lowlife piece of shit - who after the heinous crimes that he has committed no longer deserves the right to be treated in a humane way.

would you rather not pay the tax and let him roam the streets free?

Sad, the worst thing is

Whatever punishment for the killer

Is not going to bring her back
That's true, and her family are going to have to live with that. That's the reality. No amount of statistics or percentages that politician types eek out in terms of criminal activity are going to change that. This type of behaviour will continue as long as there is virtually no deterrent. Going inside isn't a deterrent to some of these people.

man this new update is disturbing

Two cars pull up out the front of the suspects house just 15 minutes or so after the CCTV footage?

Either he already had her there and he had called a mate or two to come join in, or that was him and an accomplice arriving back a the house with her.

Scary stuff.

After hearing that the "off the record" comments were horrifying, your mind does wonder to that scenario after reading something like that.

man this new update is disturbing

Two cars pull up out the front of the suspects house just 15 minutes or so after the CCTV footage?

Either he already had her there and he had called a mate or two to come join in, or that was him and an accomplice arriving back a the house with her.

Scary stuff.

It doesn't actually prove anything but agreed, the implications are pretty horrifying.

You would think if thats the case they would be looking for more arrests which the police have said they arent.

Even if it was Baley that killed and r*ped her, there would be lots of other charges that would fall onto other people Baley that night

Bayley in court.

2rmtu8m.png

Nor am I, but basically you are assessing a crime, and that assesment needs to be based on the facts available pertaining to that crime, and nothing else. The man's past is technically irrelevant to whether or not he is guilty of this specific crime. Sure, it might make it more probable that he did it, but guilty/not guilty is always based on provable facts, not probable assumptions.
<notsurehere>Priors, character, etc only matter for sentencing.</notsurehere>

Just following this up, you're correct - each case is meant to be judged on it's own merits, but sentencing submissions are allowed to include previous crimes and convictions.

Unfortunately these days, previous convictions seem to be barely acknowledged.

I have a feeling that when this guys full history comes out, and the MSMedia puts more emphasis on the numerous other sexual assaults where the attacker fits this guys description almost perfectly - there is going to be an absolute shitstorm; directed both at the Judiciary, and potentially the Police (if this guy was on parole and had priors for violent sexual crimes, surely when numerous attacks occur where the attacker matches his description, he'd be your first port of call) as well.

This whole thing is tragic, but if it's the catalyst for the empasis to return to protecting the law-abiding members of Society, instead of treating criminals as the main concern, then at least some good will have come from it.

Just following this up, you're correct - each case is meant to be judged on it's own merits, but sentencing submissions are allowed to include previous crimes and convictions.

Unfortunately these days, previous convictions seem to be barely acknowledged.

I have a feeling that when this guys full history comes out, and the MSMedia puts more emphasis on the numerous other sexual assaults where the attacker fits this guys description almost perfectly - there is going to be an absolute shitstorm; directed both at the Judiciary, and potentially the Police (if this guy was on parole and had priors for violent sexual crimes, surely when numerous attacks occur where the attacker matches his description, he'd be your first port of call) as well.

This whole thing is tragic, but if it's the catalyst for the empasis to return to protecting the law-abiding members of Society, instead of treating criminals as the main concern, then at least some good will have come from it.

Fortunately the push for Australia's judicial system to resemble Norway ended when Breivik got 3 months per kill in a very cozy facility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't want to come off as being disrespectful or tasteless, but one thing I was tihnking today:

Isn't it strange how we had over 100 Hazara sylum seekers, lied to by smugglers and escaping from ethnic cleansing in Pakistan and Afghanistan, who would have been Australian PR/citizens very shortly, drown at sea in horrible circumstances (including children) and the level of public concern/emotion seems LESS than that for a foreign national working in one of our cities? IMO its down to the way the media portray the two instances.

I know they're different circumstances, I just think if the Australian people were exposed to the reality of the people who drowned, got to read about who they are as people etc. rather than as a "problem to be solved" we'd see similar levels of concern to that of Mrs Meagher.

My comment was in reference to the notion that Bayley had more people involved at his house soon after he was seen on CCTV and that some bad stuff went down there

I said this likely isnt the case because the police arent looking for any more arrests.

Its possible that Baley hasnt given anyone up and just said it was all him, but in fact there are others involved, but the police wouldnt know that so it couldnt be what was said in the police interview late last night

I haven't been following this at all.

cliffs anyone?

What actually happened?

Meagher was taken from Sydney Rd last Saturday morning around 1:45am. Been missing for the past week. Police released CCTV footgage showing Jill speaking to man in blue hoodie, which was her last known whereabouts. Yesterday afternoon police arrested man (Adrian Bayley) and basically charged him with rape and murder. Earlier this morning around 1am he led them to her body which was found around 50km from Melbourne CBD.

I'd recommend you read thread though if you've got time.

Surprised at all the "bring back the death penalty" comments on twitter etc. I spose people are just angry, and of course are entitled to their opinion, but I'd hate to see people sink to that eye for an eye level.

Not an eye for an eye; I'd never support the death penalty as a form of punishment and vengeance.

But I do believe that people, by their actions, can forfeit their right to exist - this guy would fit that. No publicity, no fanfare - just a lethal injection done privately without any information disclosed.

I haven't been following this at all.

cliffs anyone?

What actually happened?

Meagher dissapeared last saturday morning at around 2am walking home from a night out with work colleagues, only 500m from her house

She is seen interacting with a person wearing a blue hoodie on CCTV footage, but the footage doesnt indicate the context of the interaction or hint that Meagher was in danger

Lots of thoeries and witness reports emerge about cars and people acting strangely on Sydney road around the time Meagher dissapeared. People say the man in the hoodie was 'running' at Meagher at some point but this isnt seen on CCTV

Last night police arrest a person of interest but dont charge him. Later its revealed the POI is the man in the blue hoodie.

Reports leak over twitter the man in the hoodie is being charged with rape and murder and is assisting police in the finding of her body, which is found early this morning in Gisbone in a shallow grave roadside

It was a case with lots of speculation and theories and ultimately the worst case scenario has developed

I really don't want to come off as being disrespectful or tasteless, but one thing I was tihnking today:

Isn't it strange how we had over 100 Hazara sylum seekers, lied to by smugglers and escaping from ethnic cleansing in Pakistan and Afghanistan, who would have been Australian PR/citizens very shortly, drown at sea in horrible circumstances (including children) and the level of public concern/emotion seems LESS than that for a foreign national working in one of our cities? IMO its down to the way the media portray the two instances.

I know they're different circumstances, I just think if the Australian people were exposed to the reality of the people who drowned, got to read about who they are as people etc. rather than as a "problem to be solved" we'd see similar levels of concern to that of Mrs Meagher.

Really no need to get political I don’t think.

There’s been a lot of posts in this thread explaining the different points of view on why this case has captured so much attention.

Meagher was taken from Sydney Rd last Saturday morning around 1:45am. Been missing for the past week. Police released CCTV footgage showing Jill speaking to man in blue hoodie, which was her last known whereabouts. Yesterday afternoon police arrested man (Adrian Bayley) and basically charged him with rape and murder. Earlier this morning around 1am he led them to her body which was found around 50km from Melbourne CBD.

I'd recommend you read thread though if you've got time.

Any details come out?

I basically cbf reading 47 pages of people quoting each other.

cliffs are so much better.

Not an eye for an eye; I'd never support the death penalty as a form of punishment and vengeance.

But I do believe that people, by their actions, can forfeit their right to exist - this guy would fit that. No publicity, no fanfare - just a lethal injection done privately without any information disclosed.

I'd be very concerned if the government could do that.

If you know they're different circumstances then why did you bring it up?. And this is hardly the place for a tree huggers rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back