Streaming The Last of Us (HBO)

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Ep 3 also got about twice as many 10 scores as the previous two episodes. If it was review-bombed it was also review-highed. Then there's IMDB weighted average algorithm which they don't disclose. The true average for the episode was 7 but IMDB adjusted it to 8.

The show isn't at the level of great shows like True Detective S1, GoT, Breaking Bad - so the 10 scores are a bit silly.
The last three seasons of Game of Thrones was rubbish though.

Nearly all 1 and 10 scores are silly. People giving 10 to every episode are not differentiating.

Only certain episodes of True Detective S1, GoT, Breaking Bad reached the highest level then for me those shows averaged about 8 or 9 with some episodes as low as 5 or 6. The Last of Us is good but isn't at the level of those shows.
+1

Not to mention there has been over 2.1M that rated shows such as Games of Thrones, compared to Last of Us which is just 225K.

The thing to consider about TLOU’s high IMDB score is that the series is based off a hugely popular video game. A video game that won over 200 GOTY awards. So the IMDB score might reflect that from the video games fanbase. “I will give this episode a 10/10 because the Video game is a 10/10.” That sort of line of thinking.

The thing to consider about TLOU’s high IMDB score is that the series is based off a hugely popular video game. A video game that won over 200 GOTY awards. So the IMDB score might reflect that from the video games fanbase. “I will give this episode a 10/10 because the Video game is a 10/10.” That sort of line of thinking.
The opposite I reckon is just as likely, if not more so

Not equally so though, false equivalence certainly as it relates to ep 3 ie. you could make a rational case for a 10, read a few posts on it even just here in this thread. You might not agree and have it lower but in no universe was that ep a 1.

The other episodes are also getting a high % of 10 scores so it becomes meaningless. If ep 2 was 10 then was ep 3 a 12?

It might go both ways. If the show is faithful to the game it will get rated highly by those who have played it, if not it might get marked down.

Ep 3 seems to be contentious. I read the first page of IMDB reviews that had a 1 score. A few people commented that it lost the interactions between Bill and Ellie, which was an important part of the game. Some complained that it was implied in the game that Bill and Frank might be in a relationship but a whole show about them as a gay couple felt shoe-horned.

The other main comment was the same as expressed by some here. It makes no sense to have an episode dedicated to the backstory of two characters who aren't in the show for more than one episode and have little relevance to the main characters. That doesn't make it a 1 out of 10. I would give it a 5.

It might go both ways. If the show is faithful to the game it will get rated highly by those who have played it, if not it might get marked down.

Ep 3 seems to be contentious. I read the first page of IMDB reviews that had a 1 score. A few people commented that it lost the interactions between Bill and Ellie, which was an important part of the game. Some complained that it was implied in the game that Bill and Frank might be in a relationship but a whole show about them as a gay couple felt shoe-horned.

The other main comment was the same as expressed by some here. It makes no sense to have an episode dedicated to the backstory of two characters who aren't in the show for more than one episode and have little relevance to the main characters. That doesn't make it a 1 out of 10. I would give it a 5.
I feel that episode 3 is actually quite crucial to the story as the TV version is telling it. Yes it may have been disappointing to lose the Ellie/Bill interaction, but that was a small price to pay for an episode that not only fleshed out the world a bit and told a perfect little story of it's own, but actually spelt out what the show is all about as well. There's no way you could give that episode only a 5, unless you just don't like the show, in which case why are you even bothering to still watch?

The other episodes are also getting a high % of 10 scores so it becomes meaningless. If ep 2 was 10 then was ep 3 a 12?
Disagree on all counts.

Unsure why other episodes getting lots of 10s would be meaningless, it probably just means the show is great.

And I think eps can be considered great for different reasons. To lean back into videogames for an example I've played more than one 10/10, but still have favorites and can think one 10 better than another 10.

One better than 10 is 11.
spinaltap-11.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One better than 10 is 11.
Well its all subjective innit ie. I'm sure there are universal acclaim 10/10 period dramas, not really my cup of tea though so I can't see myself ever thinking one of them would be a 10.

I'm much more likely to think a genre or sci fi production is a 10 - but that doesn't mean my lesser rating of the period drama is right necessarily.

Well its all subjective innit ie. I'm sure there are universal acclaim 10/10 period dramas, not really my cup of tea though so I can't see myself ever thinking one of them would be a 10.

I'm much more likely to think a genre or sci fi production is a 10 - but that doesn't mean my lesser rating of the period drama is right necessarily.
I have no problem not liking something that is clearly a top notch production. Everything's not for everyone. I can understand someone not liking ep 3 but I can't see how they'd rate it as a middling, average episode of TV.

Nearly all 1 and 10 scores are silly. People giving 10 to every episode are not differentiating.

Only certain episodes of True Detective S1, GoT, Breaking Bad reached the highest level then for me those shows averaged about 8 or 9 with some episodes as low as 5 or 6. The Last of Us is good but isn't at the level of those shows.
I'd have given Episode 3 a 10 for certain. Just like I'd have given several episodes of True Detective, GoT, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Sopranos and Band of Brothers 10's. I reckon I've watched about 10000 episodes of stuff over the last two decades, and would have given out well less than 100 "10's". I like to think that's differentiating.

I think some people are unable to isolate Episode 3 for what it is.. you could give someone a copy of EP3 without any other knowledge of the game or show and just give the context of a story within a 'zombie' apocalypse and they would surely say that it was a beautiful reflection of how those who survived such a plight got on with life

It isn't really impending doom. I mean you literally know what is going to happen in every episode, because it is playing out almost identically to the game.

I'd probably like the show a lot more if I have never played the game.
That’s the tricky part. Apart from episode 3, hasn’t really swayed much from the game. After all the game was an incredible, well executed storyline. A playable series really. The actor portraying Ellie is immense tbh. The pressure of just taking the role is massive, same for Joel. That’s probably the cool part of the TV series. The actors unique take on the characters

Remove this Banner Ad

Streaming The Last of Us (HBO)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back