Roast The leadership of the Port Adelaide FC

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like Choco and the dopey recruiters bludged off the greatness of Warren Tredrea, Ken is going to have depend on the potential greatness of Todd Marshall.

Choco had some bad luck, Lockwood's back injury was a major disappointment, White breaking his ankle meant he couldn't even become a solid support type player, Toby couldn't sustain playing as the 2nd or 3rd tall and lots of duds were drafted until we got Schulz and rather than 2 or 3 years with Tredders they got 7 games together before Tredders ankle injury finished his career.

Dixon is too flaky in big moments with set shots in big games and Watts is just mentally too flaky to consistently deliverer in the big moments. Todd Marshall will have to carry a Warren Tredrea like suitcase to help Ken survive.

This is Kens 6 year and we have yet to produce a top 4 team. They are all having a crack but I think its becoming clear they don't know how to achieve this. Agree re Marshall, Dixon and Watts.

I think Ken is a true salesman. He sold a bunch of shite to players to get them here, and he sold the same shite to the board to give him a contract extension.

He just needs to convince a top no2 to join him.

Unfortunately I cant see KT and/or Koch getting rid of Ken. Are they going to get CD to do it instead?

Unfortunately we are locked and loaded until maybe mid 2021 at the earliest unless there is a very flexible performance out clause. They know as long as we win enough games - mainly against the cellar dwellers - there wont be change.

If it was up to me I wouldn't have rushed to his place to resign after we lost to WCE in the EF. I am still pissed off we played Impey instead of Trengove, we got rid of both, we gave Marshall no coverage in the EF and we made another massive donation to the Jeremy McGovern Foundation - again. We should not have lost at home to the WCE even kicking like shit for goal. We could have beaten GWS with Jonas back IMO. We stuffed up massively.

I would have said, Ken your moves didnt work. You play too many short people. You are coaching until the end of 2018 for now and if the media speculate for 12 months bad luck. You have a contract, fullfil it and get us to where you said we would get to and you get an extension.

Marshall is the one player who might save Ken as I wrote above.

We dont have a ruthless, blood and guts mentality. If we did we wouldnt have resigned Ken yet.

hear hear

I think we've lined up our future. I just hope they can achieve a hardwick type turn around.

Unfortunately I cant see KT and/or Koch getting rid of Ken. Are they going to get CD to do it instead?

Unfortunately we are locked and loaded until maybe mid 2021 at the earliest unless there is a very flexible performance out clause. They know as long as we win enough games - mainly against the cellar dwellers - there wont be change.

If it was up to me I wouldn't have rushed to his place to resign after we lost to WCE in the EF. I am still pissed off we played Impey instead of Trengove, we got rid of both, we gave Marshall no coverage in the EF and we made another massive donation to the Jeremy McGovern Foundation - again. We should not have lost at home to the WCE even kicking like shit for goal. We could have beaten GWS with Jonas back IMO. We stuffed up massively.

I would have said, Ken your moves didnt work. You play too many short people. You are coaching until the end of 2018 for now and if the media speculate for 12 months bad luck. You have a contract, fullfil it and get us to where you said we would get to and you get an extension.

Marshall is the one player who might save Ken as I wrote above.

We dont have a ruthless, blood and guts mentality. If we did we wouldnt have resigned Ken yet.

Both posts clearly articulate the serious situation in which the PAFC finds itself.

Hinkley cannot be allowed to continue 'coaching' in the same manner. It is destroying the PAFC.

I have had a couple of conversations about Ken and his relationship with the players with Janus.

You can see that between 2015-17 at least, the Bulldogs players absolutely loved Beveridge and were playing for him at all cost. He was like their best mate and boss

The same with Hardwick at Richmond. Stuff that has come out post their flag, you can see that from late in 2016 Hardwick changed himself somewhat and he took on advice from his players that they loved him but they wanted some of the love and trust back from him and he changed. Look at the video in this link when Benny Gale announced to the players that Dimma had 3 more years after 2018 season.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2018-03-06/hardwick-resigns

Do you reckon our players reacted like this when they heard Ken got 3 more years?? I have no doubt the players respect and like Ken but I have no doubt they do not have the same feeling as the Bulldog and Richmond players had to their coaches.

I put the following in the Grand Final thread a few hours after Richmond won. To think that after we re-signed Choco with that stupid bloody 30 June 2009 clause, he went and spoke to Dimma about a succession plan that he would become his assistant for 2 years before tacking over. Too late Dimma had already applied for the Richmond job in August and wasn't going to commit to us until he knew if he got the gig or not. This is all about change. Change we know we need.

Hardwick came out during the season, during September, before the GF and post the GF has said he was the problem and he needed to change. From last Thursday after his presser.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/09/28/revitalised-hardwick-sets-tone-tigers
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick knew he needed to change .........A fierce competitor in his playing days who was no stranger to the tribunal, Hardwick was becoming his own worst enemy as a coach. As the pressure on his job intensified, Hardwick closed himself off from the world. The self-confessed control freak stopped listening to those around him. He intensified his already punishing workload. His "happy-go-lucky" demeanour darkened.

"The reality was, I was the biggest problem of all," Hardwick later reflected. "That was the hardest self-reflection to come up with but it was certainly the truest one."

Hardwick reflects upon the past year as a period in which he learned to let go. The 45-year-old delegated responsibilities, made himself more open to advice and invited the Tigers to play with "childlike" freedom...........Hardwick also sought to be more emotionally available to players - even if it meant becoming something of a sensitive new-age guy. "He's probably shown more of his personality from a vulnerability perspective, and allowed us to be vulnerable at the same time," Tigers fullback Alex Rance said. "It creates that deeper connection. "We never had a doubt that he cared for us, it was just more about us being able to show that we cared back and feeling appreciated for that."

History will look kindly upon chief executive Brendon Gale and club president Peggy O'Neal if the Tigers manage to cap off their remarkable year with victory over Adelaide in Saturday's grand final. Few would have blamed the Tigers powerbrokers for deciding during the off-season that Hardwick, whose contract was due to expire at the end of 2018, was no longer the right man for the job.

Instead they rebuilt around him, appointing highly-respected administrator and former Richmond premiership player Neil Balme as football boss and tapping Justin Leppitsch and Blake Caracella as assistant coaches."Plenty of people were making noise last year about the changes they needed to make," Tigers great Matthew Richardson said. "They went away and they had a good look at things. They made a few changes here and there but they backed Damien Hardwick in and they've been vindicated now.

At the heart of the decision was an unwavering belief that Hardwick had the talent and temperament to right the ship. "He's a man of great character and great values, and someone who puts the club above personal ambition," O'Neal said after the Tigers defeated Greater Western Sydney in last weekend's preliminary final. "The players have always adored him. But I think he's understood (the need to) change the game plan. "He's been there for eight years now, so it was 'let's make it fun to play football again'. "That's what he's told me, and maybe that's what he thinks that as an outsider, I would understand. But you can see the belief that they have in each other, and I think that comes from the coach setting the tone."....................... "To be able to lift players and get them to be able to play again, to say 'that was one game - let's move on'. "They're playing happy, joyful football ... they play for their coach."
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-game-reactions.1178073/page-68#post-52781184

Nelson Mandela was in Sydney a week or so before the Sydney Olympics in 2000 and attended a Sydney University seminar called "What Makes a Champion" put on by Professor Alan Snyder of the Centre for the Mind. Also speaking was Sir Edmund Hillary, Nobel prize winning medical research Peter Doherty, Herb Elliot and others. Nelson said the following about change which has always stuck with me.

"One of the most difficult things is not so much to change society, but to change ourselves. Only when you can overcome the difficulty of changing yourself can you change the people around you."

Dimma did a Nelson and had the courage to change himself, so that he could help change others. Can Ken do that? I don't know, but I hope he can. But we wont know and it will all be in the background for us, just like it was for the average Richmond fan this season. We have to wait and see what happens on field, because we wont be in the inner sanctum to see if that change occurs.

That's all about great leadership. It's why I go on about Keating because he made Leadership central to what he did in trying to achieve the big changes. I don't think Keating was as good a leader as Franklin Delano Roosevelt, but I would lose people if I went on about FDR and his leadership qualities and great outcomes. (Teddy Roosevelt was also a dam good leader). Dimma has showed great leadership over the last 12 months backed up by Peggy O'Neil, Benny Gale, others and Trent Cotchin and other senior players. We might not see it until it happens late next season, but we need similar great leadership from Ken backed up by Koch, KT, Boak if he is to stay captain and the senior players as well.

I have had a couple of conversations about Ken and his relationship with the players with Janus.

You can see that between 2015-17 at least, the Bulldogs players absolutely loved Beveridge and were playing for him at all cost. He was like their best mate and boss

The same with Hardwick at Richmond. Stuff that has come out post their flag, you can see that from late in 2016 Hardwick changed himself somewhat and he took on advice from his players that they loved him but they wanted some of the love and trust back from him and he changed. Look at the video in this link when Benny Gale announced to the players that Dimma had 3 more years after 2018 season.

Do you reckon our players reacted like this when they heard Ken got 3 more years?? I have no doubt the players respect and like Ken but I have no doubt they do not have the same feeling as the Bulldog and Richmond players had to their coaches.

Are you suggesting that Ken is too much the players' mate and not enough the hard edged coach?

There was a good article by a cricket coach, can't think of his name, detailing his experiences of coaching various cricket sides, including the notoriously challenging Indian side. He spoke about the different needs of sides and players in terms of their coach, be in friend, mentor, tactician, etc.

Ken is a strange one. Players seem to want to come to Port. He speaks well in the media. Those at Geelong and Gold Coast speak incredibly high of him. 2013 and 2014 were great. But 2015-18 seem to have delivered the same inconsistent football time and time again. Patches of brilliance and then inexplicable performances where the side doesn't turn up.

KT, Koch, Kevin Osborn are all in with Ken for the next 3 years. Nothing is going to change. As I wrote in the Members Convention thread the basic strategy is that we are all in over the next 3 seasons to win a flag with thi group of coaches leading the way. When Koch came on board we had the triumvirate of Koch, Kevin Osborn and KT locked in for 6 years until 2018. Ken was locked in until 2016 but it was soon 2018. Then Koch talked about sticking around to 2020 and the 150th anniversary and the 3 K's will all be there until then with Ken getting an extension until 2021. Burgo was also locked in for 6 years as well. He started on 3 years but was stitched up to end of 2014.

In this post in that Members Convention thread I went thru our senior footy department staff and you can see from the list most of them aren't going anywhere.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...mber-convention.1182311/page-19#post-54309584

And the footy department soft cap means its harder to sack coaches early unless there are some sort of out performance clauses and you dont have to pay them out early.

It is a case of 3.67 more years, 3.67 more years, 3.67 more years.
We hear what your saying , but , i find it hard to believe the AFL would stand idley by if member and spectator numbers dive down by half and with that the Clubs financial position becomes unsustainable , its all possible .

Are you suggesting that Ken is too much the players' mate and not enough the hard edged coach?

There was a good article by a cricket coach, can't think of his name, detailing his experiences of coaching various cricket sides, including the notoriously challenging Indian side. He spoke about the different needs of sides and players in terms of their coach, be in friend, mentor, tactician, etc.

Ken is a strange one. Players seem to want to come to Port. He speaks well in the media. Those at Geelong and Gold Coast speak incredibly high of him. 2013 and 2014 were great. But 2015-18 seem to have delivered the same inconsistent football time and time again. Patches of brilliance and then inexplicable performances where the side doesn't turn up.
No I am saying that the Bulldogs and Richmond players were playing 100% for their coach, love their coaches unreservedly and would do anything for them.

I'm saying our players dont feel the same way about Ken and his game plan and what the players will do for him.

We hear what your saying , but , i find it hard to believe the AFL would stand idley by if member and spectator numbers dive down by half and with that the Clubs financial position becomes unsustainable , its all possible .
We are not going to plummet to Footy Park tarp levels.

Ken is a good solid Mr 55% win ratio coach. That will keep plenty of punters re-signing, going to the footy etc. Ken hasn't proved he is a great coach yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i
We are not going to plummet to Footy Park tarp levels.

Ken is a good solid Mr 55% win ratio coach. That will keep plenty of punters re-signing, going to the footy etc. Ken hasn't proved he is a great coach yet.
If you think we are going to get above 35.000 spectators a game with our current rate of success , i reckon your mistaken.

Nah.

The problem is the players are ****ing dumb.

No coach could get anything out of this group if they keep playing stupid football like they did today.

Only an idiot would advocate going fast against a West Coast team that is notorious for their defensive systems. But that’s what our players did. That wasn’t a coaching directive. And if it was, Hinkley needs to clear out his desk tonight, because no coach is that stupid.

This was our stupid players making dumb decisions because our coaches can’t get them to understand that it’s possible to play tempo AND fast football at the same time.

If Essendon was on the players, and Geelong was on the coaches - this game was on both.

We keep playing this way, we won’t beat anyone that’s good let alone great. We don’t have enough talent to win on talent alone.

I’m ****ing sick of this shit.

i

If you think we are going to get above 35.000 spectators a game with our current rate of success , i reckon your mistaken.
We will continue to get over 30,000 a game, because we will win enough games, some against good sides, some when our back is up against the wall, to keep enough people going to watch us. We are a good team not a great team and people wont abandon their club. WE have had one crowd under 30k at the redeveloped AO and that was when we were playing shit, our season was shot and a massive gale and rain was forcast for Rd 18 2016 v GWS. It wasn't as bad as forcasted but there was still plenty of bad weather.

I'm a realist not a fatalist.

I disagree that Ken is a good coach. That is a myth. He has a very good list and he is making them look like shit most weeks.

He can only be called a good coach if he actually takes a very ordinary list and make them competitive each week.
I dont think the players are that good.

Their kicking skills are poor when there is minimal pressure on. They fumble too much when its a beautiful dry day. They make poor decisions. Many cant kick with their non preferred foot. They want to handball and share the ball when they should take responsibility and kick goals.

As frustrated as I get about list management, selections, game style, structure etc, I can't blame Ken and co. for blokes having poor skills and making under 10 type errors.

Their kicking skills are poor when there is minimal pressure on. They fumble too much when its a beautiful dry day. They make poor decisions. Many cant kick with their non preferred foot. They want to handball and share the ball when they should take responsibility and kick goals.

As frustrated as I get about list management, selections, game style, structure etc, I can't blame Ken and co. for blokes having poor skills and making under 10 type errors.

Agree 1000%, they have showed week after week year after year they are not good enough.

We will continue to get over 30,000 a game, because we will win enough games, some against good sides, some when our back is up against the wall, to keep enough people going to watch us. We are a good team not a great team and people wont abandon their club. WE have had one crowd under 30k at the redeveloped AO and that was when we were playing shit, our season was shot and a massive gale and rain was forcast for Rd 18 2016 v GWS. It wasn't as bad as forcasted but there was still plenty of bad weather.

I'm a realist not a fatalist.
I doubt just over 30k would turn a profit , the opposite in fact , and look bad on the all important TV . Yep at the moment i am not inclined to sugar coat it , under 30k is easily possible , and then ?.

I think we had a bit of this in 2013/14 - players really engaging with Ken, Richo and the game plan. The strange thing is, when you watch some of our wins in 2013, Im not sure we've got any better over time.

I disagree that Ken is a good coach. That is a myth. He has a very good list and he is making them look like shit most weeks.

He can only be called a good coach if he actually takes a very ordinary list and make them competitive each week.

The Richmond grand final victory will only help prolong Hinkleys tenure. The media department will push 'it took Hardwick 8 year's to win a flag' and we are still building.

Anytime we get outplayed in a match the coaches never change the game plan to adjust.

I dislike Chirs Scott but he knows how to adapt Geelong's style each week depending on the opposition. If only we had coaches that would do the same

Well then who on earth is responsible for drafting players with below par skills ?.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast The leadership of the Port Adelaide FC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back