Roast The leadership of the Port Adelaide FC

Remove this Banner Ad

Putting this on the footy IQ or supposed lack of skills in the playing group is rich.

Dixon came to us with very good skills and an ultra-reliable set shot. Now he's kicking like a more assured, yet similarly wayward John Butcher. Confidence is in tatters and he looks about 2 weeks away from breaking down.

Chad Wingard was as close to automatic from the setshot as can be, now people are bemoaning the fact he always looks like he's chewing wasps and is now just another streaky medium forward, when he's not icing another buggered hamstring.

Travis Boak was being spoken of as a better captain than Warren Tredrea not too long ago. Dual All-Australian guernseys and the premiership dais beckoned. Now he's as maligned as the last days of Kane Cornes while playing some weird helter-skelter half-forward role despite the midfield crying out for serious talent and his gut-running still being topnotch.

We've also cycled through a helluva lot of list filler and replaced them with some big name recruits and gun youngsters.

Same underperformance.

Same disappointment.

Same vague promises of a finals-laden future once everyone marches in lockstep to the gilded gameplan predicated on the infrared and ultraviolet metrics of the data warehouse.

Spare me.

This regime was cooked in 2016. It was cooked last year. But we reloaded for another 3+1 years because apparently no-one at board level has access to AFL Tables.

I doubt there are too many Port supporters who don't believe that Koch and KT would have to share most of the responsibility for the totally unnecessary and undeserved extension for Kern, and the even sillier part about that decision is Kern could quite possibly outlast both of them, even if it's by default.

If we get the expected smacking by the tingles that may not even wake them up to the fact the club is going nowhere with the Kern/Bassett/Voss triumvirate.

This current situation has all the signs of the coaches losing the players, and we have all seen that before, albeit with a much weaker list.
I would love to be as sure of winning x-lotto as I am that the playing list is much better than it is currently performing and that a coach with a decent game plan and better support staff could improve it significantly virtually over night.

I dont think they’ve lost the players. This is the level many of our over rated players are actually at.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Foe those suggesting the issue is our players lack of skills or footy acumen...why then, after 6 years of Hinkley are they 1) still on our list and 2) still getting games??

We keep our players on the list because you have to go through the same shit with every player to educate them on the way to play AFL football, so you're not actually gaining anything by replacing them with a similar standard player. It's completely different to the traditional Australian Rules football that they play in U-18s and below, because there is more adhesion to things like shape and zoning.

The problem is that development players are coached to win games, not to play to a certain system that will develop them into being elite AFL players. So what generally happens is that the players who are athletic and can play a bit get drafted because they can transition into the AFL system while the guys who weren't as gifted genetically and had to actually work on their skills to compete are left by the side of the road.

That's why it's important to setup academy systems based at AFL clubs. If you can get a kid that is 10 years old and teach them the fundamental skills in an environment where winning isn't super important, playing SSGs and drills that encourage developing a left and right foot, then when it comes to draft time you can get a return on your investment.

There's a saying - nice guys finish last. As tribey so aptly put it in his Vanillarisation of Port Adelaide thread, this current administration has made being liked a high priority. What has happened to the mongrel that made our club so hated, but feared? Blokes like Alistair Clarkson couldn't give a stuff about being liked: results are all that matter, and 4 flags are his reward.

Is that Baghdad bloke still around.
Not for Hinkley but the group.

Best thing that happened at Hawthorn -Dunstall on the board

Crows? Ricciuto on the board

Port? xxx on the board

Who will be our xxx? We sure don't have one atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah.

The problem is the players are ******* dumb.

No coach could get anything out of this group if they keep playing stupid football like they did today.

Only an idiot would advocate going fast against a West Coast team that is notorious for their defensive systems. But that’s what our players did. That wasn’t a coaching directive. And if it was, Hinkley needs to clear out his desk tonight, because no coach is that stupid.

This was our stupid players making dumb decisions because our coaches can’t get them to understand that it’s possible to play tempo AND fast football at the same time.

If Essendon was on the players, and Geelong was on the coaches - this game was on both.

We keep playing this way, we won’t beat anyone that’s good let alone great. We don’t have enough talent to win on talent alone.

I’m ******* sick of this shit.
Do you mean the group of players Ken Hinkley put together and developed over the past 6 years?

She's the only new appointment I'm aware of...
Ah. For a moment I though my post was millennial like and was being paid out for it. :D

Nah we need a bum kicker. Kochie tries from time to time but then backs off.

I'm not sure they are. I think we are getting the most out of this group. We've been saying for 4 years now "we need to work on skills" and 4 years later we have the same problems. The coaching isn't perfect for sure but we are expecting more from players that I'm not sure have another level to go.

I think our 2nd string guys are as good as they are going to get - Amon, DBJ, Jonas, Polec, Hombsch, S Gray. They aren't going to another level.

Our senior players make too many mistakes and always have. Ebert, Dixon, Pittard, Wines, Hoff, Motlop have their moments but overall make too many easy mistakes when the game is on the line.

There is absolutely no guarantee at all that a new coach would get anything different out of these players who've had extensive time to improve themselves but can't.
We still don't have a kicking coach. Got a psychologist instead. And 12 analytics guys.

I'm not sure they are. I think we are getting the most out of this group. We've been saying for 4 years now "we need to work on skills" and 4 years later we have the same problems. The coaching isn't perfect for sure but we are expecting more from players that I'm not sure have another level to go.

I think our 2nd string guys are as good as they are going to get - Amon, DBJ, Jonas, Polec, Hombsch, S Gray. They aren't going to another level.

Our senior players make too many mistakes and always have. Ebert, Dixon, Pittard, Wines, Hoff, Motlop have their moments but overall make too many easy mistakes when the game is on the line.

There is absolutely no guarantee at all that a new coach would get anything different out of these players who've had extensive time to improve themselves but can't.
We still don't have a kicking coach. Got a psychologist instead. And 12 analytics guys.

We keep our players on the list because you have to go through the same shit with every player to educate them on the way to play AFL football, so you're not actually gaining anything by replacing them with a similar standard player. It's completely different to the traditional Australian Rules football that they play in U-18s and below, because there is more adhesion to things like shape and zoning.

The problem is that development players are coached to win games, not to play to a certain system that will develop them into being elite AFL players. So what generally happens is that the players who are athletic and can play a bit get drafted because they can transition into the AFL system while the guys who weren't as gifted genetically and had to actually work on their skills to compete are left by the side of the road.

That's why it's important to setup academy systems based at AFL clubs. If you can get a kid that is 10 years old and teach them the fundamental skills in an environment where winning isn't super important, playing SSGs and drills that encourage developing a left and right foot, then when it comes to draft time you can get a return on your investment.
Not today please.
Let us mourn another loss for a couple of days before you put Hinkley and the 7 assistants on the pedestal again.

Best thing that happened at Hawthorn -Dunstall on the board

Crows? Ricciuto on the board

Port? xxx on the board

Who will be our xxx? We sure don't have one atm.

Our board has two glaring ommissions...someone with genuine China business experience and someone with genuine AFL football experience and connections.

A good athlete will always beat a not so athletic footballer with a bit of coaching.
And so it was till Clarkson came on the scene.

With us its a case of we do not need a kicking coach as it's all in the head.
All a player needs to do is ask the ball if it wants to go straight. To do that properly one needs to read books not waste time kicking a ball

Putting this on the footy IQ or supposed lack of skills in the playing group is rich.

Dixon came to us with very good skills and an ultra-reliable set shot. Now he's kicking like a more assured, yet similarly wayward John Butcher. Confidence is in tatters and he looks about 2 weeks away from breaking down.

Chad Wingard was as close to automatic from the setshot as can be, now people are bemoaning the fact he always looks like he's chewing wasps and is now just another streaky medium forward, when he's not icing another buggered hamstring.

Travis Boak was being spoken of as a better captain than Warren Tredrea not too long ago. Dual All-Australian guernseys and the premiership dais beckoned. Now he's as maligned as the last days of Kane Cornes while playing some weird helter-skelter half-forward role despite the midfield crying out for serious talent and his gut-running still being topnotch.

We've also cycled through a helluva lot of list filler and replaced them with some big name recruits and gun youngsters.

Same underperformance.

Same disappointment.

Same vague promises of a finals-laden future once everyone marches in lockstep to the gilded gameplan predicated on the infrared and ultraviolet metrics of the data warehouse.

Spare me.

This regime was cooked in 2016. It was cooked last year. But we reloaded for another 3+1 years because apparently no-one at board level has access to AFL Tables.
I wanted to like this more than once.

KT giving last year a pass mark was a sign the rot has set in.. the most un Port Adelaide thing I've heard in years.
Yeah I couldn’t use understand it either, I remember that interview and it was like KT caught himself and add “barely” after it because an outright yes stretches credulity too far..

Yet after failures in 15,16 and barely passin in 17 the brains trust went yep I love the smell of what Kerns cooking .....bewildering

In hindsight I wonder if the fact Wines was coming out of contract, Rockliff and Motlop were keen spooked the board and management into signing him or risk losing them?

Ironically Wines’s contract situation is starting to get a bit smelly and why not if we were him would you really want to sign on for 2-3 more years of ground hog day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast The leadership of the Port Adelaide FC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back