Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL asks WA Government for contingency plans to host grand final
Headshot of Peter Law

Peter LawThe West Australian
Thu, 5 August 2021 8:00PMComments
Peter Law

The AFL has requested the WA Government draw up contingency plans to stage the grand final and finals matches at Optus Stadium.

The AFL has requested the WA Government draw up contingency plans to stage the grand final and finals matches at Optus Stadium.

League bosses inquired about potentially moving football’s showpiece to Perth after Victoria was plunged back into a seven-day lockdown to contain yet another COVID-19 outbreak.
The cluster of Delta variant cases has thrown into doubt plans for large crowds to be permitted in Melbourne by the time the finals start in the first weekend of September.
There’s only 50 days until the grand final — pencilled in for Saturday, September 25 — and it appears increasingly unlikely 100,000 fans will be allowed to pack into the MCG.
“As we have shown last year and this year, WA and Optus Stadium offer some of the best facilities and the safest environment for major events,” a State Government spokesman said.
“The AFL has now approached Optus Stadium to develop a potential contingency plan for the AFL grand final and potential AFL finals.
This planning work will be developed in conjunction with the relevant State Government agencies, on advice of the Chief Health Officer.

“This is just contingency planning. Our preference is for COVID-19 situation to improve across the country.”

Optus Stadium chief executive Mike McKenna said the 60,000-seat venue had a proven track record of being able to host major events at short notice and back-to-back matches.

The AFL last year selected Brisbane’s Gabba for the grand final after the Queensland Government used taxpayers’ money to secure the event and welcomed players’ families into the State.

AFL Grand Final between the Richmond and Geelong at the Gabba in 2020.

AFL Grand Final between the Richmond and Geelong at the Gabba in 2020. Credit: DARREN ENGLAND/AAPIMAGE
Entry into WA — which has a closed border with the entire country except Tasmania — for players, club staff and officials, as well as potentially family members, will be a focus of the talks in coming weeks.
Another challenge is the limited resort-style accommodation in Perth that would allow players to be separated from the public but not confined to their rooms. The two obvious options being Crown and Joondalup Resort.
But with Victoria joining south-east Queensland and Sydney in lockdown, the AFL is desperate to save its season and the only venue that could rival Optus Stadium is the smaller Adelaide Oval.
WA also impressed the footy world when Optus Stadium staged the Dreamtime clash between Richmond and Essendon in June in front of 55,000 fans.
Optus stadium lit up for the Dreamtime AFL game.
Optus stadium lit up for the Dreamtime AFL game. Credit: Cody H/Instagram
If the ladder was to remain unchanged over the remaining three rounds of the season, there’s now a prospect West Coast and Fremantle — sitting seventh and eighth — could play finals in front of home fans.
The finals series is scheduled to be played over four consecutive weekends in September, which could be an incredible festival of football for fans and a money-spinner for local businesses.
“Our hearts are with the millions of Australians in lockdown on the eastern seaboard,” the State Government spokesman added. “Our friends in Victoria have now entered their sixth lockdown — which is the right move to crush this Delta variant in the best interests of the whole country, and we hope the situation can improve quickly.
“The AFL have a long-term contract with the MCG for the grand final and we hope the event can occur safely, free of any COVID restrictions.
It’s understood the AFL has accepted the remaining home-and-away fixtures could be played in empty stadiums on the east coast, but is desperate for large crowds to return for the finals. The Eagles will take on the Demons at Optus Stadium in front of a crowd of up to 60,000 on Monday night.

Massive lol if WA hosts the finals series and West Coast win it from 7th
I might have been scared of that happening last year, I'm comfortable they are absolutely nowhere near it this year

I might have been scared of that happening last year, I'm comfortable they are absolutely nowhere near it this year

That is because we are going to win it from 8th.

That is because we are going to win it from 8th.
Winning our first premiership from 8th because a global pandemic mismanaged by our government forced the competition to play it's finals series in one of the country's least populated and isolated states is the definition of Dockery.

Where are people seeing this on the club releases?
View attachment 1197084
Nothing official yet, it is all speculation but Eagles playing on a Monday and Freo on a Sunday leans heavily on it being a Sunday derby

Unfortunately that Google page is misleading as it is not confirmed to be a Saturday game.

I doubt the AFL are going to make the Eagles play off a 5 day break so Sunday is the only day that makes sense

Winning our first premiership from 8th because a global pandemic mismanaged by our government forced the competition to play it's finals series in one of the country's least populated and isolated states is the definition of Dockery.
Pretty sure that making the GF on that basis and then losing by one point after kicking 3.24 to 7.1 is the definition of Dockery.

Turns out we Underwood had her commentary career reignited when she commentated our Richmond game last year.
According to this article;
"Intelligence, class & hard work quite handy when it comes to commentary!" Is how you describe openly barracking for Richmond and getting our players names wrong.
and;
"I was keen to see how the cavemen of Australia would react on social media to Kelli Underwood calling a game on television again." Of course you're automatically a sexist caveman if you criticise her 'intelligent' commentary.

Typically I manage block out commentary but I vividly remember that game and thinking "what the hell is this commentator on about".
She obviously had no about Fremantle at all so don't give her any no-VIC teams.
Eddie 2.0

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon that’s wishful thinking, WC will turn up once the last few weeks (probably against us) to sneak into the 8

Yeah. They always do. Imagine if they capitulated to us with all the fan outrage they are currently experiencing. Memberships would be microwaved.

It will be a tough game, but we can win it if we get through Brisbane with a win and unscathed. Our boys will be full of belief. Here's hoping.

I played around with that ladder predictor on the AFL app. I have WCE to finish 11th.

WLD%
1.Western Bulldogs1840144.3%
2.Geelong1840134.4%
3.Melbourne1651130.3%
4.Port Adelaide1660121.4%
5.Sydney1660121.2%
6.Brisbane Lions1480125.6%
7.Fremantle1210093.8%
8.GWS1011194.2%
9.Essendon10120102.1%
10.Richmond10120101.1%
11.West Coast1012091.7%
12.Carlton913093.9%
13.St Kilda814083.7%
14.Collingwood715090.6%
15.Gold Coast616079.9%
16.Adelaide616078.8%
17.Hawthorn516180.3%
18.North Melbourne516172.4%
QF1: WESTERN BULLDOGS v Port Adelaide
QF2: GEELONG v Melbourne
EF1: SYDNEY v GWS
EF2: Brisbane Lions v FREMANTLE

SF1: Port Adelaide v SYDNEY
SF2: Melbourne v FREMANTLE

PF1: Western Bulldogs v FREMANTLE
PF2: GEELONG v Sydney

GF: FREMANTLE v Geelong

Yep, me too.

Seriously though if Richmond wins all three of their remaining games then West Coast will need to win two to make the eight. If we win this week and the Eagles lose then the derby will more than likely be for a finals spot.

WLD%
2.Geelong1840134.4%
3.Melbourne1651130.3%
5.Sydney1660121.2%
7.Fremantle1210093.8%
8.GWS1011194.2%
9.Essendon10120102.1%
10.Richmond10120101.1%
11.West Coast1012091.7%
12.Carlton913093.9%
13.St Kilda814083.7%
14.Collingwood715090.6%
15.Gold Coast616079.9%
16.Adelaide616078.8%
17.Hawthorn516180.3%

Yep, me too.

Seriously though if Richmond wins all three of their remaining games then West Coast will need to win two to make the eight. If we win this week and the Eagles lose then the derby will more than likely be for a finals spot.
Every time I go to the ladder predictor it's always with the best intentions. It always ends up with Freo winning the premiership.

WLD%
2.Geelong1840134.4%
3.Melbourne1651130.3%
5.Sydney1660121.2%
7.Fremantle1210093.8%
8.GWS1011194.2%
9.Essendon10120102.1%
10.Richmond10120101.1%
11.West Coast1012091.7%
12.Carlton913093.9%
13.St Kilda814083.7%
14.Collingwood715090.6%
15.Gold Coast616079.9%
16.Adelaide616078.8%
17.Hawthorn516180.3%

Yep, me too.

Geez how flat will Fyfe be when this happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back