The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think Hoffman's been pretty decent so far this season. But our defence as a whole just doesn't function, especially because we have no natural left or right backs.

Redmayne is crap but last night wasn't his fault. The midfield just keep giving the ball away and had zero creativity.

I think you can blame him for the penalty, you could argue he was exposed but that was clumsy goalkeeping more than anything.

The problem in just about every goal conceded this year is the full backs, Redmayne's not great but his defenders don't help him out at all.. I honestly don't understand how it hasn't been addressed yet (particularly LB). Maybe there's no room left in the cap to get in a proper LB but the way the clubs talked about potentially filling the final visa spot makes that seem unlikely. Our midfields pretty good, even though we haven't created a great deal of chances from open play but I think this is more a team cohesion and understanding thing more than anything else.

I'm almost certain Duff only signed for 1 season. I think he said recently that he's returning to play in Ireland after this season.

Yep Duff is only on a one year contract. And yeah he has said he wanted to "try something new" and then go back to Ireland to finish his career.

Apparently Murdocca is out injured for a few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duff is the least important due to age though I guess.

Koren and Kennedy should both be really good for two years. Loving Duff so far though.

Great to finally get a win. I thought all the boys played well, Mooy in particular.

Shame we couldn't keep a clean sheet but there was nothing that could be done about that.

Paartalu and Mooy are both really good pickups. We'll need time to get everyone on the same page, but its taking shape.

Defence is still a worry, but any team that can field Duff, Mooy, Paartalu, Koren, Williams, Dugandzic and Kennedy should make finals if they can put it all together.

It'll be interesting how we play with Kennedy and Koren. Do we persist with the 4-3-3? I don't really like that formation. Mooy and Paartalu should be strong enough to protect the back 4 allowing Koren to move up the field more.

How good was it to get a win again? It's been a while. Redmayne played a lot better and even though the roar are a bit of a rabble at the moment, we played the ball on the ground a lot more last night. Now let's get a home win next week

Mooy is unreal, he is surely not long for the A-League, has been super consistent over the last couple of years and a well-deserved call up to the Socceroos squad. Does anyone know how long until Koren is fit? I thought he was an outstanding signing when we got him and can't wait to see him do his thing in the A-League. Will be interesting to see how we play when he is fit, would think it will probably be in a midfield 3 with Mooy and Koren further advanced with Paartalu screening the back 4. Although apparently he did play as a false 9 in pre-season but I can't see JVS using this tactic, particularly with Kennedy coming in January.

So glad just to get a win! I'd almost forgotten what it felt like!

Our defence was much more solid for the most part last night I thought - except for the 10 minutes leading up to the Roar goal - and Redmayne was great. :eek:

I don't know where we'd be without Mooy. He has been absolutely fantastic.

And what about the three subs? I liked what I saw from all of them, that 3rd goal was great.

Mooy is unreal, he is surely not long for the A-League, has been super consistent over the last couple of years and a well-deserved call up to the Socceroos squad. Does anyone know how long until Koren is fit? I thought he was an outstanding signing when we got him and can't wait to see him do his thing in the A-League. Will be interesting to see how we play when he is fit, would think it will probably be in a midfield 3 with Mooy and Koren further advanced with Paartalu screening the back 4. Although apparently he did play as a false 9 in pre-season but I can't see JVS using this tactic, particularly with Kennedy coming in January.

As much as I want to keep him forever, it would be kind of cool if he got called up to NYC, would set a good precedent about the opportunity Melbourne City can offer to good young Aussie players.

As much as I want to keep him forever, it would be kind of cool if he got called up to NYC, would set a good precedent about the opportunity Melbourne City can offer to good young Aussie players.
To go play in a worse standard league?

I'd like to see him play for a lower Premier League team or Championship team, I reckon he could fit in. Of course I'd also like to see him stay for his entire career or until he starts declining.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back