The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing result. But a decent performance under pretty difficult circumstances. Injuries havent helped but you could see a gulf in class between the two sides.

So onto the offseason, which should be a busy one.

Three big decisions to make on JVS, Koren and (hopefully not) Mooy. Then a whole bunch of smaller decisions that could prove just as significant.

Okay, time to assess. Breaking down the Squad:

Goalkeepers: Velaphi (keep), Redmayne (sell/dump)

Velaphi is definitely better, but is he good enough to be a #1 keeper? Unsure. Need to buy a keeper in any case.

Defenders: Hoffman (keep), Chapman (keep), Kisnorbo (keep), Clisby (keep), Jaliens (keep), Wielart (sell/dump)

Need another LB and CB, which is why I'm bemused we didn't keep Safuwan. Clisby is a decent LB but I'd like a better one to be safe. Hoffman is decent depth for Jaliens. Kisnorbo and Chapman will gel with time.

Midfielders: Melling (keep), Murdocca (sell/dump), Mooy (keep/sell), Ramsay (sell/dump), Koren (keep/sell), Retre (keep), Paartalu (keep), Mauk (keep), Garruccio (keep), Germano (sell/keep)

I'd sell Koren if we keep Mooy and look for a different international marquee, but if Mooy goes to Europe you have to keep him. Melling and Paartalu will be our midfield combo along with one or the other. Retre, Mauk and Garruccio are young and I'd love to see them continue to develop. Ramsay I thought was a good signing at the time but he's been underwhelming so far, dump him.

Forwards: Williams (sell/keep), Dugandzic (sell/dump), Marino (keep), Kennedy (keep), Novillo (keep), Brown (keep)

Williams and Dugandzic have been underwhelming for too long, though I'd keep Williams because he's literally the only other potential central forward right now, unless Marino is one. Need to get another 2 forwards.

So that ends up as a squad of:

Goalkeepers: Velaphi, ???
Defenders: Hoffman, Jaliens; Chapman, Kisnorbo, ???; Clisby, ???
Midfielders: Paartalu, Retre, Germano?; Mooy/Koren, Melling, Mauk; Garruccio, ???
Forwards: Novillo, Brown, ???; Marino, Kennedy, ???

So my wish list right now would be:

Goalkeeper (unsure who, maybe promote a Youth League player)
Centre Half (Someone decent, not necessarily a big name)
Left Back (whether it's a solid back-up or a first player I don't mind)
Wing (preferably right sided, maybe promote a youth league player)
Wide forward (hopefully can play CF as well but maybe keep Williams)
Centre forward (decent, not brilliant, but good back-up).

So, with that squad I'd hope for something like:

Velaphi
Jaliens - Chapman - Kisnorbo - Clisby
Melling - Paartalu - Mooy/Koren
Brown - Kennedy - Novillo​

Kennedy has to go. We are a worse side with him in it. He does not suit our best plays.
I think Kennedy will get another year. Koren maybe some agreement for him to move on.

New players next year could make a difference to Kennedy, its only really Mooy and Germano that play to his strengths.

I think Kennedy will get another year. Koren maybe some agreement for him to move on.

New players next year could make a difference to Kennedy, its only really Mooy and Germano that play to his strengths.
He will because he is contracted, same as Koren who I prefer anyway.

We can't just end contracts. It ends up in our salary cap.

He will because he is contracted, same as Koren who I prefer anyway.

We can't just end contracts. It ends up in our salary cap.
I think Koren could be sold / free transfer.

Kennedy maybe a bit harder, but I still think he has a bit to offer anyway. Koren may come good next season but I have my doubts.

We weren't embarrassed, the second half we had a crack. But just sitting there watching it was like watching nearly every other Heart game. Pure frustration. We had some half decent chances and plenty of posession, but Victory actually took their opportunities and deserved to go through. This year we have gone from a hopeless side to a mediocre side so I guess there is some improvement in that. At the end of the day last night was a bonus just to be there but there is still a feeling of disappointment.

The cull has began.

Ramsay, Jaliens, Duff, Dugandzic and Rielaert have been let go this afternoon.

Absolutely fine with all the departures, although Jaliens and Duff gave us some nice moments this season.

Hopefully Novillo is re-signed, been a pleasant surprise for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jaliens is 36, so despite playing well, we need to look elsewhere for a first choice right back.

Interesting that we have retained Germano thus far, we really need a classy striker. You look at what Berisha, Keogh, Janko, Burns etc can do for their specific clubs.

Would expect an almost completely different line up next year. No one is safe.
Mooy, Chapman, Velaphi, Kisnorbo should be. Velaphi has shown enough to be a competent reserve keeper at worst

imo we should either get rid of Kennedy or try to lower his pay so he isn't a marquee. We just don't seem to suit the target man style and Kennedy can't do much besides be a target man. I certainly y wouldn't be against keeping him just feel like we could do better. Will be interesting to see what happens.

We need new fullbacks, and there are two great australian fullbacks without a club atm. So I say we sign Ivan Franjic and Jason Davidson who are both quality and we aren't using up any international spots. It may be tough to sign Davidson as he probably wants to stay in Europe but it's possible.

We need new fullbacks, and there are two great australian fullbacks without a club atm. So I say we sign Ivan Franjic and Jason Davidson who are both quality and we aren't using up any international spots. It may be tough to sign Davidson as he probably wants to stay in Europe but it's possible.
There is this thing called a salary cap...

There is this thing called a salary cap...
I know but I reckon if we release a few players and if they could accept maybe a pay drop we could afford them. It's a long shot I know but still something worth looking into.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back