The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

6003850.jpg

Things I learned tonight:

1) We played very well, particularly without Babalj and Fred. Van't Schip's tactical adaptability is first class, he really does get the best out of players in multiple positions.

2) Alex Terra and Aziz Behich are terrible finishers.

3) Maycon runs lots unnecessarily.

4) Jason Hoffman does a fair bit that's good, but he does more that's crap, I think. I really don't see the appeal in him.

5) Brendan Hamill has cost us too many goals. I'm sure he will turn out to be a terrific player, but he really does switch off at critical times. He was responsible for Archie's chip in the derby, he defended dumbly against Van Dijk against Adelaide, and now tonight, he completely switched off for Kwasnik's goal.

6) Even though we lost, we will be difficult to beat, home or away, if we keep playing like that. Although I fear we may retreat into our shells against the Roar after playing so well tonight and then losing at the death.

:(

I loved the set-up tonight. Babalj is extremely promising but he also makes us very predictable at times. Tonight we had Williams, Terra and even Hoffman interchanging with each other up front and more importantly, we played the ball on the ground. We would have won that game nine times out of ten, unfortunately this was the 10th time where the opposition keeper was fantastic and we switched off for ten seconds at the end.

Shattering but it's very hard to not be ecstatic with the display.

5) Brendan Hamill has cost us too many goals. I'm sure he will turn out to be a terrific player, but he really does switch off at critical times. He was responsible for Archie's chip in the derby, he defended dumbly against Van Dijk against Adelaide, and now tonight, he completely switched off for Kwasnik's goal.

His needless run forward cost us the first Perth goal too, as he lost possession and then left Behich to deal with Smeltz.

Mixed emotions tonight! I was very happy with the way we played, just couldn't ****ing finish things off. I jokingly said to my mate that we'd probably end up conceding late and losing, just so ****ing typical.

Ryan was good but we really should've put a few past him so it's frustrating to not even get a point from it. Hopefully get a result on Saturday with Reid likely available.

His needless run forward cost us the first Perth goal too, as he lost possession and then left Behich to deal with Smeltz.

No, central defenders running forward is an important part of the system, and he sees the opportunities very well. Sarkies had to fill in for him and completely misjudged a tackle to let Perth through.

Anyway, awesome performance tonight. If we play like that we can finish top 2/3.

I loved the set-up tonight. Babalj is extremely promising but he also makes us very predictable at times. Tonight we had Williams, Terra and even Hoffman interchanging with each other up front and more importantly, we played the ball on the ground. We would have won that game nine times out of ten, unfortunately this was the 10th time where the opposition keeper was fantastic and we switched off for ten seconds at the end.

Shattering but it's very hard to not be ecstatic with the display.

My thoughts exactly.

JVS made all the tactical changes I wanted to see, plus more.

For all the positives that came out of it, I think Dugandzic is struggling, and the less said about Maycon, the better, but overall, really pleased, and we'll beat Brisbane with Reid and playing like that again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've officially signed Andrew Redmayne as our potential long-term goalkeeper. Anyone seen much of him? I love how virtually all of our signings are made with an eye on the future. The club's in good hands :)

He has a good reputation, but has been a number two for a fair while now. Will be interesting to see how he goes when he eventually is playing week in week out.

Will Bolton retire this season? Still been one of the best keepers in the league.

Yeah pretty sure Bolton is done after this season. Will probably get in to the media, considering he's already been doing stuff with fox, and radio on SEN. Probably a goalkeeper coach as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back