No Oppo Supporters The Melt Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm melting harder than I've ever melted in the Roas reign. To wheel out 'integrity in selection' and then do this is mind blowing.

Melbourne are about to contend and had TWO fking debutants = killed it. We are rebuilding and we've gone back to the same old turbid, rancid well. Explain that one. Its not as though we were asking for an SPS situation (kid played without prep), all we were after was Crozier, a 5th (?) year player ...

While I'm melting hard, our recruiting. Tim English was meant to be years away from being ready, yet is MORE ready than our pick taken 10 places higher! Huh?

But who am I kidding. We could have Powell-Pepper (100 game body) and he'd still be kept out by Suban in Round 1 .... 2017 ...

Honestly, Suban vs Crozier? It's probably not going to destroy the team.

It's more about what the selection represents - it represents stagnation, if not outright regression. Even if it's remote there is still a chance that Crozier might develop into a decent player if he's given a good run of games in the one position. That possibility isn't there with Suban, he's had his run and it's been a loooong run at that, and we know all we can possibly know about him. He is a substandard footy player.

Hahhaha most of the stuff in this melt , are with hawthorn now .

There's no doubt we are trying to intimidate Geelong with power and speed through the midfield. While we have plenty of speed on the outside and plenty of ball winners, the match comitttee probably feel we need someone to do the grunt work inside. To not let the ball escape easily out of a stoppage and to ensure Danger and Selwood don't get easy possessions.

While there is no doubt Crozier is the far more attractive and skilful player, Suban will have a role the coaching staff think he can execute better than Crozier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm melting harder than I've ever melted in the Roas reign. To wheel out 'integrity in selection' and then do this is mind blowing.

Melbourne are about to contend and had TWO fking debutants = killed it. We are rebuilding and we've gone back to the same old turbid, rancid well. Explain that one. Its not as though we were asking for an SPS situation (kid played without prep), all we were after was Crozier, a 5th (?) year player ...

While I'm melting hard, our recruiting. Tim English was meant to be years away from being ready, yet is MORE ready than our pick taken 10 places higher! Huh?

But who am I kidding. We could have Powell-Pepper (100 game body) and he'd still be kept out by Suban in Round 1 .... 2017 ...

No one said English was years away except a few posters around here that I doubt had even seen him play.

There's no doubt we are trying to intimidate Geelong with power and speed through the midfield. While we have plenty of speed on the outside and plenty of ball winners, the match comitttee probably feel we need someone to do the grunt work inside. To not let the ball escape easily out of a stoppage and to ensure Danger and Selwood don't get easy possessions.

While there is no doubt Crozier is the far more attractive and skilful player, Suban will have a role the coaching staff think he can execute better than Crozier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no doubt about that although Crozier actually impressed in the stoppages vs EP whereas Suban was barely sighted. Clearly Suban had a run with role vs EP and none of us picked up on it.

He is years away. He was taken to the cleaners by Stef Martin in his best game, which everyone is lauding.

They're probably lauding it for a reason. Maybe they understand that there's no shame in a 19yo ruckman making his debut being beaten by an inform experienced AFL player in Martin (who was one of Brisbanes best in their win yesterday btw).

No way is he years away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're probably lauding it for a reason. Maybe they understand that there's no shame in a 19yo ruckman making his debut being beaten by an inform experienced AFL player in Martin (who was one of Brisbanes best in their win yesterday btw).

No way is he years away.

If he gets his ass handed to him by Stef Martin. He is years away. Imagine him on Gawn, Sandilands, Natainui (pre-injury), Goldstein. Years away.

If he gets his ass handed to him by Stef Martin. He is years away. Imagine him on Gawn, Sandilands, Natainui (pre-injury), Goldstein. Years away.

Firstly he didn't get his arse handed to him, and secondly, you're under rating or ignorant of Martin.

Based on your criteria Logue, and every other debutant that gets beaten must be years away too. Need to look closer at it.

Firstly he didn't get his arse handed to him, and secondly, you're under rating or ignorant of Martin.

Based on your criteria Logue, and every other debutant that gets beaten must be years away too. Need to look closer at it.

Logue is years away if round 1 selection policy is any guide.

I don't think I have read so much anti-Ross sentiment on this board before. Shows our patience and belief are waning probably spawned by seeing other so-so teams have great round 1 games.

Whilst I too am surprised by the selection of Suban and would love to see Crozier play in our forward line, perhaps Ross has a role for him today, which doesn't suit Croz. Maybe a run with role as was alluded to earlier by a couple of posters. Maybe Suban is impressing at training, who knows.

What surprises me even more is the outrage over Suban's selection yet no mention of D Pearce.

In recent years, Freo and RTB have been desperately trying to improve their scoring. A notable statistic has been Freo's poor inside 50s. Both Suban and D.Pearce are good inside 50 producers (especially when compared to younger alternatives). I'm not a fan of either of those two players, but given the current Freo list, I can easily understand why they are selected. A fit Harley Bennell (and fit Freo midfield) will likely result in either Suban or D.Pearce struggling to get a game.

At the start of a new season, I think it is very important for Freo to put forward their best chance of winning. Rebuild selections should become more of a priority when/if Freo's 2017 Finals chances start looking unrealistic.

I don't think I have read so much anti-Ross sentiment on this board before. Shows our patience and belief are waning probably spawned by seeing other so-so teams have great round 1 games.

Whilst I too am surprised by the selection of Suban and would love to see Crozier play in our forward line, perhaps Ross has a role for him today, which doesn't suit Croz. Maybe a run with role as was alluded to earlier by a couple of posters. Maybe Suban is impressing at training, who knows.

What surprises me even more is the outrage over Suban's selection yet no mention of D Pearce.
Pearce was never under threat, at least until Bennell is ready & then Langdon or Blakely is far more likely to make way.
This selection has caused outrage because Ross said integrity was back in selection. Crozier, Grey and even Balic had far better form coming into this game and going back to Suban is seen rightly or wrongly as Ross retreating to his favourites over the blindingly obvious.
Of course we don't have access to internal processes and I think Salim mentioned that Crozier and the others mentioned weren't considered at this point as they haven't ticked off enough training/fitness targets due to injury & interruption.

Pearce at least produces pretty good numbers and bobs up in transition a lot.
Suban is lucky to have 6 touches these days and those he does he gets caught with the ball or gives away a free with stupid tackles.

Pearce was never under threat, at least until Bennell is ready & then Langdon or Blakely is far more likely to make way.
This selection has caused outrage because Ross said integrity was back in selection. Crozier, Grey and even Balic had far better form coming into this game and going back to Suban is seen rightly or wrongly as Ross retreating to his favourites over the blindingly obvious.
Of course we don't have access to internal processes and I think Salim mentioned that Crozier and the others mentioned weren't considered at this point as they haven't ticked off enough training/fitness targets due to injury & interruption.

Pearce at least produces pretty good numbers and bobs up in transition a lot.
Suban is lucky to have 6 touches these days and those he does he gets caught with the ball or gives away a free with stupid tackles.
Careful, don't get fooled by his numbers. He is not tagged, doesn't play inside and opposition coaches allow him the freedom so our plays go through him.

The amount of times I watch Pearce with the ball and think "If only Hill or Mundy had the ball right now".

As Purple Eyes says above, we can only hope with a fit Bennell and more games into the younger guys that both Pearce and Suban are squeezed out.

In recent years, Freo and RTB have been desperately trying to improve their scoring. A notable statistic has been Freo's poor inside 50s. Both Suban and D.Pearce are good inside 50 producers (especially when compared to younger alternatives). I'm not a fan of either of those two players, but given the current Freo list, I can easily understand why they are selected. A fit Harley Bennell (and fit Freo midfield) will likely result in either Suban or D.Pearce struggling to get a game.

At the start of a new season, I think it is very important for Freo to put forward their best chance of winning. Rebuild selections should become more of a priority when/if Freo's 2017 Finals chances start looking unrealistic.

I can't see that RTB has been desperately trying to improve scoring. He talks that talk, but I am unconvinced he walks that walk. There were lots of games last year when some things could have been tried, when we had nothing to play for. Sutcliffe could have been asked to bring back the running bounce, the ruckman could have put the ball wide of the pack, Michael Walters could have spent more time close to goal. In the JLT games Crozier could have spent some time across half back to see whether his vision and left foot provided some attack, Sam Collins could have had some game time to see whether he provided an improved ability to attack when compared to Zac Dawson.

I am hoping to see some focus on attack this year, but I must say I am not expecting it.

Pearce has delivered plenty of times in his career, you can probably count Suban's decent games on one hand.

If you're counting hospital passes and aimless inside 50s then yes, D Pearce delivers.

If you're counting downhill skiing, D Pearce has that well covered.

He has delivered SFA for the coin he's been on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back