Review The most idiotic media call about Hawthorns rebuild

Who deserves the most ridicule about how Hawthorn has gone about the rebuild since three-peting?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Great thread. Barrett by a mile. At least King and Montanga try to back up opinions with evidence and analysis, may not agree with it, but better than the vitriolic opinions of Barrett.

Cornes I respect as one of the few independent thinkers in the AFL media. Darcy's lame attempt to take down Cornes earlier this year pretty sums up the AFL boys club media landscape.

Darcy:

“You (Cornes) are a 300 game player and you have a special place in the footy community, as you should have for your deeds on the football field, and I feel like the footy community is a golden ticket of people that generally have each other’s back. But you take a position that is almost unique where you have been probably more mean spirited and nasty to people than anyone in the history of our industry."

Cornes has the audacity to forgo the "golden ticket" and instead calls it how he sees it. Good on him, wish there were more independent voices that valued integrity and honesty over "having each other’s backs".

Heaven forbid someone question Luke occupying a media role, while sitting on the Bulldogs board and commentating his son playing, conflicted much?
Luke Darcy is one of the biggest flogs on the planet. He's basically going to be Sam Newman in about 15 years.

Barrett has tiny ears (irs true!) Literally can’t listen to reason and only hears the small stuff. And he smells
He looks like he'd be frighted of the Grinch stealing Christmas tbh.

1000005172.jpg

What has been one of the most idiotic things, is that while Tom Mitchell was performing his best the media did everything they could to talk him down. "Not damaging", "no metres gained", "doesn't have an impact on result" etc, even when winning AA and Brownlow there was faint backhanded praise given to him. Then after breaking his leg, he dropped right off in terms of form, and also we are now hearing he didn't do the team thing and wasn't showing the leadership we wanted in terms of following team rules etc. So we moved him on to get something in return before his career coming to the end pretty soon and to build around a young core, but suddenly it was the worst move ever and we could not survive without Tom Mitchell or the world would fall apart. So the only time they gave him credit was to talk negatively about the club cause we traded him. Bit of a joke really.

And we chose Cam McKenzie ?
Yeh, this was always the most amusing part, apparently needing a big-bodied midfield and only selecting 188cm Cam Mackenzie instead of 191cm Reuben Ginbey or 190cm Mattaes Phillipou. Those 2-3cms were clearly the difference between an A rating and a D+!

That’s hilarious.
Who in the hell is Ben Waterworth?

We took Josh Weddle instead of Ed Allan ! What were we thinking !🤣😂

Yeh, this was always the most amusing part, apparently needing a big-bodied midfield and only selecting 188cm Cam Mackenzie instead of 191cm Reuben Ginbey or 190cm Mattaes Phillipou. Those 2-3cms were clearly the difference between an A rating and a D+!

Even at the time we were ridiculing this on here - long before the Weddle pick looked like the genius that it was. The night after the draft Sam said that he'd told MM that he hoped we would end up with McKenzie and Weddle - so clearly the coaching and recruiting were in lockstep - yet apparently we befuddled all the other clubs with our decision making. Okay, Ben!

We absolutely nailed the 2022 draft - which makes the comments from this Waterworth even more amusing.

Cam Mackenzie is an absolute gun.
Engineering the Weddle pick was a masterstroke but it was a brave call and raised eyebrows at the time.
To get pick 18 for Weddle in a last minute trade with Sydney, we gave up pick 27 and our 2023 3rd round selection. Sydney ended up with Cooper Vickery and Patrick Snell - neither have played a senior game.

And then later in the draft, Hustwaite - another future gun - and O'Sullivan and MacDonald - both reasonable prospects.
Then in the rookie - Seamus Mitchell.

Not bad for a team building draft.

Height matters!!!!!! How tall is Serong?

Thread needs this to be added to the poll option:

Ben Waterworth - the D+ of footy journalists.
I was tempted to add him to the poll options but being a Geelong nuffie (I think), it is understandable with the lack of intellect how bad this view was

We all ridiculed his judgment at the time

Looks like Purple still has a Friday audience reading his weekly dribble. The guy cant let go.

You can just see all of these wackos waiting for the next hawthorn slip up to give us a full blown wack. If you happen to be reading, go **** yourself.

and I love that Kane has secretly got into the head of King with his appraisal of Sam. 😊

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Remember he wrote some article about ‘how are Hawthorn going to stop the Swans forward line?’ thinking wtf when you consider Hawthorn’s forward line for the 2014 GF. Also can’t remember if it’s him or that arse hat Gerard Healy who never tipped us in a grand final. Actually wouldn’t shock me if Healy never tipped us in a final at all.
Actually, one of the worst calls about Hawthorn in a GF was made by our own Don Scott in 1988 when he tipped Melbourne to win. Mind you, he probably only did that to annoy Peter McKenna :)

Number 1 is Joey ' all the stats and metrics say the saints are attacking ' Montagna .

If your onboard at a low ebb, jump off on the improve and are stubborn enough to stay off . You've got no idea or completely biased .

DB is pathetic .....his a 'great story brewing' a couple of weeks ago about us was grovelling at its best .

Huge gap to Kingy even bigger gap to Volkano......should he even be on this list

Weird how people get so hung up on the opinions of talking heads. Two years ago people here loved Montagna because he said nice things about us and hated Cornes. Now it’s the opposite.

It’s all shallow analysis and supporters use a heap of words to justify liking whoever pumps up the tyres of the club at any given time.

Weird how people get so hung up on the opinions of talking heads. Two years ago people here loved Montagna because he said nice things about us and hated Cornes. Now it’s the opposite.

It’s all shallow analysis and supporters use a heap of words to justify liking whoever pumps up the tyres of the club at any given time.

It’s fun to get triggered. No deeper or shallower than that. So roll with the endorphin kick and enjoy the legal high.

Engineering the Weddle pick was a masterstroke but it was a brave call and raised eyebrows at the time.
To get pick 18 for Weddle in a last minute trade with Sydney, we gave up pick 27 and our 2023 3rd round selection. Sydney ended up with Cooper Vickery and Patrick Snell - neither have played a senior game.

I was thinking about the little bit of luck we've had not getting original targets and then picking someone up who does really well , a few examples posted by other people before. (Not getting Riccardi or Marshall and ending up with Chol could be another.)

The draft before Weddle we tried to trade up to land Matthew Johnson, we couldn't get it done, as far as I can see he's not done much at Freo but if we'd got it done presumably we wouldn't have had our 2nd rounder to get the Weddle trade up achieved.(Edit just seen we got offered our F1 to Freo, so no Cmac2 in that case, either way a big lose)

As someone posted, God is a Hawthorn fan.

That’s hilarious.
Who in the hell is Ben Waterworth?

We took Josh Weddle instead of Ed Allan ! What were we thinking !🤣😂
And when the Hawks traded back into the first round, most recruiters initially thought they’d pounce on slider Ed Allan. Instead they took a defender in Weddle — even though the Hawks drafted Will Day and Denver Grainger-Barras with first-round picks in past years.

I was tempted to add him to the poll options but being a Geelong nuffie (I think), it is understandable with the lack of intellect how bad this view was

We all ridiculed his judgment at the time

Looks like Purple still has a Friday audience reading his weekly dribble. The guy cant let go.

You can just see all of these wackos waiting for the next hawthorn slip up to give us a full blown wack. If you happen to be reading, go **** yourself.

and I love that Kane has secretly got into the head of King with his appraisal of Sam. 😊

I Think also awarded Geelong A minus even though they ended up with just one 2024 pick left

I was thinking about the little bit of luck we've had not getting original targets and then picking someone up who does really well , a few examples posted by other people before. (Not getting Riccardi or Marshall and ending up with Chol could be another.)

The draft before Weddle we tried to trade up to land Matthew Johnson, we couldn't get it done, as far as I can see he's not done much at Freo but if we'd got it done presumably we wouldn't have had our 2nd rounder to get the Weddle trade up achieved.(Edit just seen we got offered our F1 to Freo, so no Cmac2 in that case, either way a big lose)

As someone posted, God is a Hawthorn fan.

If we had Father-Son back then, would we have moved Huddo to CHF?

If we had Father-Son back then, would we have moved Huddo to CHF?

That's a terrible rehash of a wonderful (true) story ....

In the 1970s, a church in Hawthorn on its notice board posed the official question to its parishoners -

What would you do if God came to Hawthorn?

A wag wrote underneath -

Move Hudson to centre-half-forward.

Back