Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jasper Scaife - Pick 5, 2024 MSD

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to hear Scaife backed up a promising debut game with another against the Tigers. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to watch the game but will try to later today.

It is still early days, but he seems to have settled well at the club and hit the ground running. His leading patterns first two weeks in the VFL have been really good to see. He is a brute and then buy in from him looks strong. Oh boy, if he continues down this path, the AFL may have to bar us from participating in the MSD 😀

If they want to rest Dear or Gunston - Jasper is travelling to Perth anyway with the team for match day experience Vs WCE

He's shown enough to see he belongs at the top level, but with McGovern and Barrass waiting, maybe a bit much seeing as only 3 weeks ago he was playing in the WAFL?

He's done everything right and seems to learn really quickly.

I'd be happy with Jasper for Gunston, back in the youth.

If anyone said we may line up at AFL level in season 2024 with a forward line of Dear, Chol, Scaife, Watson, Ginnivan and Breust, I'd be thinking I'd probably had a stroke and had gone bonkers!

If they want to rest Dear or Gunston - Jasper is travelling to Perth anyway with the team for match day experience Vs WCE

He's shown enough to see he belongs at the top level, but with McGovern and Barrass waiting, maybe a bit much seeing as only 3 weeks ago he was playing in the WAFL?

He's done everything right and seems to learn really quickly.

I'd be happy with Jasper for Gunston, back in the youth.

If anyone said we may line up at AFL level in season 2024 with a forward line of Dear, Chol, Scaife, Watson, Ginnivan and Breust, I'd be thinking I'd probably had a stroke and had gone bonkers!

No need to rest off the back of a bye. He either gets in on form (which isn’t think he does yet unless Jack is properly injured/avoiding long flights), or waits his turn.

Based on form and fitness, right now, yes. If Chol or Dear were injured next week I would play Scaife before Lewis. The onus should be on Lewis to demonstate otherwise.
I agree. A lot of people here have him as an automatic inclusion. I'd like to see him dominate a game in the 2s. Would be good for his confidence as well. Sam said at the start of the year that he wasn't playing anyone on reputation. Hoping that this continues. I'm sure he'll be able to smash down the door - I just want to see it before he comes in.

I agree. A lot of people here have him as an automatic inclusion. I'd like to see him dominate a game in the 2s. Would be good for his confidence as well. Sam said at the start of the year that he wasn't playing anyone on reputation. Hoping that this continues. I'm sure he'll be able to smash down the door - I just want to see it before he comes in.
If you see that kick at the 59 second mark of the first quarter in Saturday's game. Looked absolutely effortless. Went from 75 m out to the teeth of the goals. He will be an asset with all his other skills.

Does Lewis come straight in now? Think either him or Scaife need to come in for Gunston for the WA trip
Lewis comes in.

Scaife has a tonne of promise but he knows 4/5ths of eff all about our game plan at this point. Lewis is the only bloke on our list that can cover for Gunston in terms of understanding our structure and how we want to play, he's the better option at this point in time also.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis comes in.

Scaife has a tonne of promise but he knows 4/5ths of eff all about our game plan at this point. Lewis is the only bloke on our list that can cover for Gunston in terms of understanding our structure and how we want to play, he's the better option at this point in time also.
Lewis also covers a fair bit of ground up and down the field much like Gunners. This will be important to keep things open and moving up front and to make sure things don't get bogged down.

If Lewis is fit, he comes in.

It's more a fitness concern and whether Lewis can play out a full game. Scaife looks great, but an away game on debut as a full forward is a tall order. Good to just get confidence into his game at VFL.

The most logical scenario for the west coast game is to bring Seamus in following his slashing game for Box Hill. Then move Hardwick forward and let Gunston have a rest in Melbourne.
Lewis can add fitness with Box Hill
I don't find that logical at all. Tail wagging the dog.

This is logical

If Lewis is fit, he comes in.

It's more a fitness concern and whether Lewis can play out a full game. Scaife looks great, but an away game on debut as a full forward is a tall order. Good to just get confidence into his game at VFL.

but an away game on debut

but… it’s a home game for Scaife…

Think About It GIF by Identity

The most logical scenario for the west coast game is to bring Seamus in following his slashing game for Box Hill. Then move Hardwick forward and let Gunston have a rest in Melbourne.
Lewis can add fitness with Box Hill
Gunston rest in Melbourne after having a weekend off for a bye?... why?

How on earth can he be fit after not really getting through a half at Box Hill?
It was managed time I think and I haven't heard anything about how it went. I have no idea how likely, or not, he is to get up in a fortnight.

The illogical comment was referring to replacing our rather successful structure of 3 talls with a small, just because he played well in the VFL. That would leave Chol, who has ruck duties and an 18year old Dear as our only talls in the forward line. That would be crazy, because it would mean long periods of the game we might have only 1 tall forward. I thought illogical was a kindly way to put it.

If Lewis is fit he plays, if not one of Gunston, Skaife, Ramma etc play depending on circumstances. Got to keep the structure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jasper Scaife - Pick 5, 2024 MSD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back