The most talented AFL player

Remove this Banner Ad

Trav 20 said:
Have you seen him play live ? You don't really appreciate his talent unless you have.

Admittedly, no. I have seen him tear my team a new one, but I still think that Motlop/Davis are 'more talented'. Then again, the term 'talented' is subjective. Jurrah's the better athlete but Motlop/Davis are better with a football in their hands.

Trav 20 said:
Let's talk at the end of 2010.

Let's.

I think Cyril is the most talented player in the league. His only weakness is goalkicking from the right hand side.

Of course you do :rolleyes:

At least you had the manners to wait an appropriate time before telling us all what we already knew. Let's face it, it's the only reason you started it.

I'm sure if you pick the right criteria you'll eventually win on one of your Cyril rating threads.
I see on the Rich v Rioli one you started that Rich is still slightly in front.
In the Selwood v Rioli one, pffft well, the less said the better I reckon.

Of course you do :rolleyes:

At least you had the manners to wait an appropriate time before telling us all what we already knew. Let's face it, it's the only reason you started it.

I'm sure if you pick the right criteria you'll eventually win on one of your Cyril rating threads.
I see on the Rich v Rioli one you started that Rich is still slightly in front.
In the Selwood v Rioli one, pffft well, the less said the better I reckon.

You're showing your paranoia.

I simply picked the most skilled players in the competition and put them in a poll.

I obviously have my own opinions, but I'm not pushing them. There is little doubt that the players mentioned here are particularly gifted in some way.

Thanks for voting.

There should only be one name in this poll....

Lance Franklin.

Buddy has got it all.

Has all the physical attributes and the sublime skill-set to boot.

He is arguably the most talented player to ever play AFL footy.

If he can get it right mentally, he will become one of the greatest of all time.

There should only be one name in this poll....

Lance Franklin.

Buddy has got it all.

Has all the physical attributes and the sublime skill-set to boot.

He is arguably the most talented player to ever play AFL footy.

If he can get it right mentally, he will become one of the greatest of all time.

****ing hell, how old are you?

Buddy a sublime skillset?

I don't think so.

He has for the most part, terrible footskills, and rating against the greats, an average contested marking ability.

If you think he has a fraction of the footskills of a Carey, or the marking ability of an Ablett, you need to hit the DVD's my friend.

His athleticism sets him apart, he is similar to a young Matthew Richardson, who was a fantastic player, but not one of the greats of all time.

I don't think so.

He has for the most part, terrible footskills, and rating against the greats, an average contested marking ability.

If you think he has a fraction of the footskills of a Carey, or the marking ability of an Ablett, you need to hit the DVD's my friend.

His athleticism sets him apart, he is similar to a young Matthew Richardson, who was a fantastic player, but not one of the greats of all time.

With a user name of DaleThomas13 how old do you think they are...

That's a bit unfair to say because Richo didn't become an all-time great, Franklin won't. Richo lost a huge amount of his athleticism thanks to the SCG fence.

That's a bit unfair to say because Richo didn't become an all-time great, Franklin won't. Richo lost a huge amount of his athleticism thanks to the SCG fence.

Where did i say that?

I said Franklin is a similar player to Richardson, he relys mostly on his athleticism to win contests, rather than nouse.

Carey, Ablett etc combined skill and athleticism.

Franklins reduced skill will always limit him, and imo, is why he will never come close to the level of the other two forementioned.

I don't think so.

WTF has my age got to do with it? I'm 20 fwiw.

Fact is Buddy is the best thing going around.

When was the last time a 21-22 yr old kicked the ton in footy?

The bloke amassed almost 200 scoring shots or thereabouts. That is incredible.

He has also kicked a freakish number of career goals in his career games tally thus far.

His contested marking may be lacking and his kicking can still do with some work but he possesses freakish skill-sets that set him apart. i.e. sinking 55m bombs from boundaries in finals etc. He is on par to smash Carey's goal kicking tally and beyond and I rate Carey as the best I've seen in my time.

He also possesses the match-winning abilities to rival Ablett/Carey and is still a pup.

We all love to occassionally knock Buddy and highlight his flaws but the fact of the matter is, nobody has burst onto the scene with such an immediate impact as he has done thus far.

He has already achieved superstar status.

Footskills are very good, it's just the set shot routine that lets him down. I'd put him ahead of Carey and also Ablett in field kicking

Contested marking is average, yet he led the contested marking in the AFL in 2008, so he can't be all that bad.

His athleticism is greater than Matthew Richardson at any age. At his best Franklin will sidestep midfielders like witches hats whereas Richo ran mostly in straight lines.

He's the third youngest to kick the ton (after Coleman and Lockett)

Unlike Lockett however, he wasn't a full-forward when he achieved this.

He's also the first person since Lockett to kick the ton in the regular season.

I hope he can get back to his 2007/2008 form, where he was light on his feet and kicked running goals from everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Franklins reduced skill will always limit him, and imo, is why he will never come close to the level of the other two forementioned.
Reduced skill? SO you've never actually watched him play football then?

First 10 seconds of this clip shows you to be a moron. Let alone if you actually watched the whole thing. Buddy is easily one of the most skillful players in the game at the moment. He can do things other players only dream about, and all that while standing at 197cm tall.

[youtube]jnAvTIY9UoI[/youtube]

If you want further proof, just ask Geelong supporters after our round 17 game this year.

He has also kicked a freakish number of career goals in his career games tally thus far.

His contested marking may be lacking and his kicking can still do with some work but he possesses freakish skill-sets that set him apart. i.e. sinking 55m bombs from boundaries in finals etc. He is on par to smash Carey's goal kicking tally and beyond and I rate Carey as the best I've seen in my time.

He also possesses the match-winning abilities to rival Ablett/Carey and is still a pup.

We all love to occassionally knock Buddy and highlight his flaws but the fact of the matter is, nobody has burst onto the scene with such an immediate impact as he has done thus far.

As a 20 year old you rate Carey the best? At his best you might have been 10 years old and what would you know about Ablett's match winning abilities? You were 5 or so when he retired.

Greg Williams burst onto the scene with a Geelong B&F, All Australian and a Brownlow Medal in his first 3 years along with the equivalent of the Leigh Matthews Medal (MVP Award).

You're showing your paranoia.

I simply picked the most skilled players in the competition and put them in a poll.

I obviously have my own opinions, but I'm not pushing them. There is little doubt that the players mentioned here are particularly gifted in some way.

Thanks for voting.

You're welcome, except I haven't due to the poor options you've posted.

There is some good talent there but im afraid football isnt about kicking goals only and evasive skills. Looking at it on paper if you took say Cyril his strength is dodging tackles and kicking goals, Judd and Ablett are clearly far superior in evading tackles and are better forward options.

Truly Talented footballers dont wander in and out of games they are talented yes but you need to tick a hell of alot more boxes than ''does freaky things'' every aboriginal footballer that comes through the draft gets labelled as ''one of the most talented seen. Sampi was one of the most talented players, yet he doesnt play AFL anymore.

Speed, Endurance, Kicking, Handballing, Marking, Tackling, Avoiding tackles, Defensive Pressure, Kicking goals, clearances, spoiling, sheparding.....etc there are so many more things a footballer needs to be able to have ''talent'' in to be the most talented.

In my opinion there is a reason Judd, Ablett, Goodes and Black are a class above everyone else as they are extremely good at everyone of the things i listed above, Where as players like Fevola, Franklin and Cyril are not in their league in terms of talent. Nice try though HP.

QFT

Top post song... then lambasted by the OP. :rolleyes:

But I agree, there are many down hill skier types that fit the OPs criteria. On the strength of that, why not have Eddie in there?

Judd and Goodes are the types I'd call talented as well. Even throw a Gibbs in there too.

John Longmire won the Coleman with 99 as a 19 year old.

Chris Grant kicked 51 goals in his debut season as a 17 year old.

Modra kicked 130 goals in basically his first season in the system at the same age as Franklin.

Lockett kicked the ton and won his first Coleman 2 years younger than Franklin.

Want me to go on? And these are just the forwards......

He's not a pup, players have done far more at the same age.

Carey was already the AA Captain at the same age, and this is Carey at almost exactly the same age/games as Franklin is now.

[YOUTUBE]LCjpOf33kHI[/YOUTUBE]

Yet you think Franklin is ground breaking.

LOL.

As I said, how old are you?

Why isn't Jason Akermanis in this poll?

Obviously not as "talented" as Jurrah or Nic Nat :eek:

I think Cyril is the most talented player in the league. His only weakness is goalkicking from the right hand side.

That's his only flaw?? What about kicking lots of goals? And getting lots of the footy? Neither of which he does particularly well. Or are they not important? The whole idea of what makes a talented player in this thread is flawed. If its based on talent where are Ablett and Judd?? The guys that actually get the results. Even a defender like Scarlett mightn't kick goals over his shoulders or kick 60 meter goals, but he's still got talent

Obviously not as "talented" as Jurrah or Nic Nat :eek:

That's his only flaw?? What about kicking lots of goals? And getting lots of the footy? Neither of which he does particularly well. Or are they not important? The whole idea of what makes a talented player in this thread is flawed. If its based on talent where are Ablett and Judd?? The guys that actually get the results. Even a defender like Scarlett mightn't kick goals over his shoulders or kick 60 meter goals, but he's still got talent

I presume the OP is referring to raw skills.
One of the most skilled players I've ever seen was Rod Owen, sublime talent who could do things with a footy that others could just dream of. Was he a great player? No, for various reasons, but geez he was bloody talented.

Remove this Banner Ad

The most talented AFL player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back