The Movie Thread

• Thread starter Old Spice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

I went and saw First Man yesterday, a movie based around nearly ten years of Neil Armstrong's life, and I liked it very much. I don't think it spoils the story to say that he goes to the moon, and that part of the film is lovely, but the depiction of the development of the space program in the 1960s is magical.

I went and saw First Man yesterday, a movie based around nearly ten years of Neil Armstrong's life, and I liked it very much. I don't think it spoils the story to say that he goes to the moon, and that part of the film is lovely, but the depiction of the development of the space program in the 1960s is magical.
Wonderful movie

Also saw A Star is Born which was brilliant

I was lucky to start my partying days here in Melbourne at two of the best Clubs in the world (Dome & Freakazoid)......….but if someone ever invented a time machine I would love to spend a night at Studio 54.

I watched this awesome documentary last night. Michael Jackson's interview below sums it up for me.
Worth a watch even if you're not into that type of stuff.

MV5BZGM4ZDE1NTgtYmYyYS00YmEyLThhYmMtZWQ0MWQ2NGIyMjBkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVy.jpg

I watched this amazing documentary last night. Seriously f kd up what they did to them......all in the name of science.

Three_Identical_Strangers.png

Watched this last night...….really enjoyed it.

200x200.png

I went and saw Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 11/9 with my son last Saturday. It's a comedy/tragedy, focusing quite a bit on Trump but more concerned to rail against the many sicknesses of US democracy more generally.

Maybe he overstates some arguments, engages in a bit of hyperbole here and there, but Moore's overall concern with political corruption is reasonable. We laughed, I cried, we enjoyed the movie very much.

Just watched The Meg. hooo boy, worst special effects i have ever seen, and whats the deal with Ruby Rose? She had a horrible american accent that slipped into Australian all the time. I do not get how she is getting parts in anything. she has ruined John Wick 2 and Pitch Perfect 3 for me (the first 2 were awesome.. come at me!). I have now vowed never to watch anything with Ruby Rose again.

Papillon original release.

Man oh man has a movie ever shat the bed as bad as this in the 3rd and final act?

The last 45 minutes were poo.
Best part of the movie was when Steve McQueen takes a cigar from the leper

• How did you know it was dry leprosy... and not contagious?
  • I didn’t.

The new Coen Brothers Netflix film, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

Very very good, 6 short stories in a film.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday
Awesome movie
I saw it last week.
Definitely worth viewing.

OK I know I said the above but I just watched a youtube video outlining the fact and the fiction in the movie and it turns out that many of the things in the movie are absolutely BS.
So for those of you who haven't seen the movie yet, be aware that a lot of the stuff isn't factually correct. Quite a bit of artistic licence has been used.

Personally for me this has diminished the movie. I realise it is not a documentary, but it is a movie about Freddie Mercury and Queen, so you expect it to somewhat resemble the truth. Unfortunately many of the very important parts of the movie are lies.

OK I know I said the above but I just watched a youtube video outlining the fact and the fiction in the movie and it turns out that many of the things in the movie are absolutely BS.
So for those of you who haven't seen the movie yet, be aware that a lot of the stuff isn't factually correct. Quite a bit of artistic licence has been used.

Personally for me this has diminished the movie. I realise it is not a documentary, but it is a movie about Freddie Mercury and Queen, so you expect it to somewhat resemble the truth. Unfortunately many of the very important parts of the movie are lies.

I haven't seen the movie because I was never a Queen fan, although in retrospect I acknowledge they - Freddie - were very talented.

But on your point about films protraying real people or real events, and then making stuff up...It drives me crazy! Ruins films for me. I get the difference between a doco and a film which is 'based on' fact, but how loosely based? And why care? Because people go away with the wrong information and a compromised understanding of the event/person. Maybe I am too literal.

And why care? Because people go away with the wrong information and a compromised understanding of the event/person.

This is what annoyed me. I could understand a bit of artistic licence being used but when major parts of the movie are wrong then, as you put it so well, you get a compromised understanding.

I never thought of myself as a big Queen fan but I was amazed whilst watching the movie at just how many of their songs I could sing along to.

This is what annoyed me. I could understand a bit of artistic licence being used but when major parts of the movie are wrong then, as you put it so well, you get a compromised understanding.

I never thought of myself as a big Queen fan but I was amazed whilst watching the movie at just how many of their songs I could sing along to.
Well Walt has long said ottoman knows his queen

;)

But on your point about films protraying real people or real events, and then making stuff up...It drives me crazy! Ruins films for me. I get the difference between a doco and a film which is 'based on' fact, but how loosely based? And why care? Because people go away with the wrong information and a compromised understanding of the event/person. Maybe I am too literal.

If it make things any easier, I watched a documentary on Mercury recently and he was, apparently, very happy for his image and legacy to be used an ways that creators desired once he had died. I have seen a criticism of the film that we never gain any great insight into Mercury as a person. I don't think there is one to be found. He was very upfront about who he was an what he was doing - he is, you might say, all surface. That makes for a dull if truthful film, but I don't the makers of the film certainly don't owe a Truth-y film to Mercury.

If it make things any easier, I watched a documentary on Mercury recently and he was, apparently, very happy for his image and legacy to be used an ways that creators desired once he had died. I have seen a criticism of the film that we never gain any great insight into Mercury as a person. I don't think there is one to be found. He was very upfront about who he was an what he was doing - he is, you might say, all surface. That makes for a dull if truthful film, but I don't the makers of the film certainly don't owe a Truth-y film to Mercury.
I’d disagree with this. I think we do get an insight into mercury the person. The main part left out is his relationship with the opera singer. I don’t know why they did this but the film doesn’t claim to be true to all the events of his life

His relationship with Montserrat Caballe (if not just her voice) is quite interesting. It was covered in the documentary I saw. (I believe it was 'The Great Pretender' - you can see it on SBS On Demand.)

Having not seen the film, I can't say what insights into his personality we get. Whatever we do get though I don't think it was enough for the reviewer, who appeared to want some deeper revelation about his soul - not just 'an insight' but a 'great insight', some sort of encapsulation of who Mercury was 'behind the image'.

Anyway, I can recommend 'The Great Pretender'. Caballe cleary valued her friendship with Mercury, and that comes out in the film.

His relationship with Montserrat Caballe (if not just her voice) is quite interesting. It was covered in the documentary I saw. (I believe it was 'The Great Pretender' - you can see it on SBS On Demand.)

Having not seen the film, I can't say what insights into his personality we get. Whatever we do get though I don't think it was enough for the reviewer, who appeared to want some deeper revelation about his soul - not just 'an insight' but a 'great insight', some sort of encapsulation of who Mercury was 'behind the image'.

Anyway, I can recommend 'The Great Pretender'. Caballe cleary valued her friendship with Mercury, and that comes out in the film.
I would have been happy if the film just resembled the truth.
Having discovered that the movie was full of fabrications soured the movie for me.
I would imagine that many people including myself, view these movies to learn a bit about the individuals. It's supposed to be a movie based on fact. In reality it is just a fiction story that uses the name of a famous person to get ticket sales.
Very disappointing.

The movie is a good movie. But if you are going to watch it you should be aware that it is a fiction movie. So many of the important aspects of the movie are lies that you can't even consider it a movie based on true events. It is purely and simply a fiction story.

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs
The latest Coen Brothers film is a beauty.
On netflix.

6 tales of the American frontier in the wild ol’ days out west.

Great vignettes and let’s just say the film makers have a dim, wry and pessimistic view of nature of humans.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Movie Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back