The multibye rounds are back!!

Remove this Banner Ad

There would be plenty of dancing to do to navigate through without donuts, especially if benches are only 2. Add injuries and players dropped by mid year and it becomes interesting

I think no matter which way you cut it, working an F/R position into your team, and balancing your rucks over the byes will be priority #1 for a lot of coaches come round 1.

On the plus side, I don't think Freo and West Coast will share a bye, so that leaves the Sandi Cox combo alive and kicking. :D

The draft version shows

Adelaide, Brisbane, GWS, North Melbourne, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs will have the bye first in Round 11.

Collingwood, Geelong, Sydney, Fremantle, Essendon and Melbourne follow with a week off in Round 12.

Carlton, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, Richmond and St Kilda will have the bye in Round 13.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ampaign=Feed:+HeraldSunAfl+(Herald+Sun+|+AFL)

The draft version shows

Adelaide, Brisbane, GWS, North Melbourne, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs will have the bye first in Round 11.

Collingwood, Geelong, Sydney, Fremantle, Essendon and Melbourne follow with a week off in Round 12.

Carlton, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, Richmond and St Kilda will have the bye in Round 13.

Need some time to think through what this will all mean. Initial reaction is that round 12 will cause the most heartache. Also worried about round 13 and what it will mean for the backline. Gibbs, Scotland, Suckling, Birchall, Deledio, Goddard, Fisher will all be out that week. All of them were in the top 7-10 backs last year!

The draft version shows

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ampaign=Feed:+HeraldSunAfl+(Herald+Sun+|+AFL)

Rd 11 rucks look thin (Hmac, Goldy, Cox, Leuy, Giles, Jacobs)

Rd 12 mids are carnage (Selwood, Pendles, Daisy, Swan, Barlow, Mundy, Stanton)

Rd 13 backs (Goddard, Gibbs, Deledio, Fisher, Birchall, Suckling)

Should be fun

If Dreamteam go with an 18 team league is this really a big deal?

There are 23 Rounds next year and you will need 21 rounds for 18 team league (17 games plus 4 finals) That means you will need to have 2 bye rounds (no matches played) which can come from Rounds 11,12 or 13. This means we would only have to worry about one round missing players. Or am I missing something as it seems everyone is assuming you will need to find cover for all three rounds?

I think no matter which way you cut it, working an F/R position into your team, and balancing your rucks over the byes will be priority #1 for a lot of coaches come round 1.

On the plus side, I don't think Freo and West Coast will share a bye, so that leaves the Sandi Cox combo alive and kicking. :D

Sandi-Cox is a duo to avoid - Sandi is a huge risk with turf toe and Cox is way over-priced. I think most people will go with something like Goldstein/Leuenberger and McEvoy/Mumford, with possibly a strong ($200-250k) 3rd ruck rather than a F/R link.

Rd 11 rucks look thin (Hmac, Goldy, Cox, Leuy, Giles, Jacobs)

Rd 12 mids are carnage (Selwood, Pendles, Daisy, Swan, Barlow, Mundy, Stanton)

Rd 13 backs (Goddard, Gibbs, Deledio, Fisher, Birchall, Suckling)

Should be fun

I was also thinking of the forward line when looking at the round 12 bye. Pavlich, Cloke, SJ, Chapman, Zaharakis, Goodes, ROK, Sylvia. Those are huge outs.

If Dreamteam go with an 18 team league is this really a big deal?

There are 23 Rounds next year and you will need 21 rounds for 18 team league (17 games plus 4 finals) That means you will need to have 2 bye rounds (no matches played) which can come from Rounds 11,12 or 13. This means we would only have to worry about one round missing players. Or am I missing something as it seems everyone is assuming you will need to find cover for all three rounds?

i think it would be safe to say most people on this forum are thinking in terms of overall.

even if they make concessions such as 3 trades in these rounds, better DPP and larger squads, i'll still be astounded if anyone gets through these rounds without copping zeroes, finding a way to do so without compromising on the quality of your team will be a massive challenge.

and, just to be cruel, even if you do there will inevitably be an injury at the most inconvenient time ruining all your plans.

Wow, the afl have done well trying to ruin dream team here.

If i was to pick the top 5-6 rucks im considering they are all out in round 11. Round 12 is carnage for the mids like Dogs said and also for the forwards, round 13 is horrid for the backs.

For those who love the guns and rookie strategy

Round 11 - 5 of the top 7 rucks are missing in round 11 (including the up and coming or cheap rucks HMAC, NN and Roughead)

Round 12 - 9 of the top 10 forwards dont play in round 12

Round 13 - 7 of the top 9 backs dont play in round 13

Wow, just wow

The AFL have almost scheduled the byes on purpose just to ruin us next year.

I have no idea what I will do. I was almost certain to go into the rucks with either Jacobs, Goldstein or Leunberger as my starting two, so I will have to juggle that somehow. My rookie ruck was going to be Giles so that also stuffs that plan.

The backs have just been destroyed in Round 13, so if we only have 3 trades during these rounds or only 2 trades, we will have to be very unique with our backs from the start of the year. Nothing wrong with that.

Mids are a little easier cause we can go with any of Rockliff, Redden, Thompson, Boyd, Murphy, Judd, Cotchin, Martin, Dal Santo etc.

Will be great for dream team and supercoach I think. Will be very interesting what strategy coaches take. Do they go with the stock standard and trade there way out of zeroes or do they go completly unique from the start of the year to avoid zeroes in these rounds.

Im looking forward to picking the multi bye situation apart with Higgo and the Crouching One - might be worth a new podcast.

Initial thoughts are that for the vast majority of Coaches who will be going for the league win this will not have too much of a bearing on the season - assuming of course there are no league games during these awful bloody multi bye footy droughts.

Hope you can all check out the new Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Website folks - looking forward to a real red hot crack in 2012 http://www.jockreynolds.com.au

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really think I'm just going to take the approach of acting as though the multi-bye round isn't actually there when selecting my initial squad at the beginning of the season rather than adjusting my whole side to suit what is just that, one round out of 23. Then just hope that when the game of luck which in the end is what it is, kicks in, it will be in my favour.

Come upgrade time, it will be a heck of a lot closer to the multi bye round and a bit easier to look ahead and determine what the right moves to make will be and just use those few weeks of trading to suit these byes, rather than as I said earlier, let it have an overly massive part in determining my whole squad for the year.

I really think I'm just going to take the approach of acting as though the multi-bye round isn't actually there when selecting my initial squad at the beginning of the season rather than adjusting my whole side to suit what is just that, one round out of 23. Then just hope that when the game of luck which in the end is what it is, kicks in, it will be in my favour.

Come upgrade time, it will be a heck of a lot closer to the multi bye round and a bit easier to look ahead and determine what the right moves to make will be and just use those few weeks of trading to suit these byes, rather than as I said earlier, let it have an overly massive part in determining my whole squad for the year.

actually, it's three rounds out of 24.

the coaches who ignore the MBRs and don't strategize accordingly will be severely disadvantaged in overall at least.

It might actually level out in terms of leagues - a 'stronger' squad for the 20 other rounds might balance out the 3 games you're likely to surrender over the MBRs.

actually, it's three rounds out of 23.

the coaches who ignore the MBRs and don't strategize accordingly will be severely disadvantaged in overall at least.

It might actually level out in terms of leagues - a 'stronger' squad for the 20 other rounds might balance out the 3 games you're likely to surrender over the MBRs.

Yep my bad. In the haste of the thought and subsequent post I was looking at it in terms of it being each team having just the one bye each whereas I overlooked the fact it is actually 3 separate Dreamteam rounds being affected. Herp Derp.

Remove this Banner Ad

The multibye rounds are back!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back