Remove this Banner Ad

2 Dogs

All Australian
Aug 15, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I was having a look through some of the Phantom Draft threads, and while pick 1 & 2 appear to be set in stone, pick 11 has thrown up many options, from Panos, to Butcher, to Talia, Black, Fitzpatrick and Vardy.

I want to gain a certain consensus on what our first 4 picks will be. Most MFC supporters are happy to spend the first 2 on Scully and Trengrove, then the next best KP forward, but if, as has been suggested, Butcher and Panos are both gone by pick 11 (Sydney & Port) would you pick up Talia, a noted defender, in the hope he can be moulded into a key forward ala Hurley; would you pick the next best key forward prospect even though he may not be the best available, or do you choose the next best, which may be a mid eg. Gary Rohan.

For the record, my choices would be

1: Scully- No need to pick Trengrove first considering this kid has carried the pick 1 moniker for a long time now.
2: Trengrove- No brainer. May end up better than Scully. Will be good to see the development of the 2 side by side.

11: (In order of preference)
Butcher: Was all but sealed as pick 2 start of the year. Has talent, but his positives seem to be harshley overshadowed by his negatives. Massive Potential
Panos: (If Butcher Gone) Said to be a more reliable Key Forward, yet lacks the game breaking talent of Butcher. Still would be happy for another KF to play alongside Watts in case Juice doesn't step up this year :p
Rohan: I would take a punt on him, should Panos and Butcher be unavailable, due to the excitement and flair he possesses. Plus he fits the ranga criteria inherent in MFC recruiting

18:
(If Butcher or Panos at 11) Best Mid: You can never have too many mids, look at the Cats. Chapman, Enright, Kelly are pure mids, but groomed into other spots. Thats the flexibility we need.
(If we miss Panos & Butcher) Black: Still nets us a potential KPP while not overlooking an exciting player at 11.

Do not draft a ruck with 1st or 2nd round pick. 3rd round or later, hell rookie list one. Unless they are a super talent, ruckmen can be moulded with time through rookie system.

Interested to hear what everyone else thinks will be the perfect draft day for the dees.

Note: I left out picks in the 3rd round+ because who knows what the f will occur then.

I dont know how everybody thinks they know so much about some many of the young kids. People make comments and pass judgement on 5 mins of footage they have seen on you tube, or articles they have seen. That is why recruiters are full time positions at football clubs.

But I do agree totally with you regarding the ruck department. Look at Sydney they have never even drafted one in the last 10 years. They always go for old recycled players. Not saying we should get a 28+ year old. Look at Josh Frasher, Kosi waste of early picks.

I believe we should wait till pick 34 and hope that craig is there and if not maybe pick up max gawn. with pick 11 we should pick up one of butcher, panos or black. pick 18 should be maybe another kpf in carlisle or griffiths or someone

PICK 11:
Butcher/Tapscott (not fussed really)
Panos
Rohan
Vardy

PICK 18:

Sheppard/Melksham (again, not fussed)
Black
Carlisle

I dont know how everybody thinks they know so much about some many of the young kids. People make comments and pass judgement on 5 mins of footage they have seen on you tube, or articles they have seen. That is why recruiters are full time positions at football clubs.
The thread was started to garner some discussion about the national draft. No one on this board can lay claim to being a part of a recruiting department, or having an extensive knowledge of the youngsters in the upcoming draft, but why should that hinder anyone's ability to speculate on who we want to draft? The youtube footage yes can be misinterpreted, as can some articles become biased or slanderous depending on the author, but all this information is available to the everyday punter who is keen to find out more about the next gen of kids coming through the club.

I won't be disappointed at all with whoever the club chooses on draft day. I have faith that the right choices will be made to ensure the club is best poised to challenge for a premiership when the group peaks. Just thought this would be a good way to throw up hypotheticals.

Would you still be keen on the best KP player if Butcher and Panos (regarded as the best 2) are gone by 11? Would you prefer to take a player ahead of his worth just because of the position he plays, or would you pick up another gun mid?

Trengove and Scully are locked in. If the recruiters pull a swifty and take Martin or Morabito I will be very disappointed.

At 11, I would like Butcher if he slides, if not, either Carlisle, Talia or Black.

At 18, Lewis Jetta if available, otherwise Panos.

I think that since we're more than likely to take Scully & Trengove that we should draft a tall with pick 11. If Butcher falls that far I'd take him, or anyone of Carlisle, Talia, Panos, Vardy etc. Pick 18 I like to see another tall taken, but would be happy with taking the best available. Would like to see a ruckman taken with one of those two picks.

Agree about not taking a ruckman inside 18. Having such a young team now means that in a couple of years we can afford to trade first round picks for established players. Look at hawthorn they had the youngest team in the league last year and traded their first round pick for burgoyne, and 2nd and 3rd for Gibson. Jamar is a solid ruckman but will be getting on a bit when we are serious contenders and we'll prob end up trading 1st and 2nd round picks for a good ruckman that some other team has developed (unless we find our own).

Trengove & Scully would pretty much be locked in. If Butcher is there at 11 i'd say he would also. And then prob a mid/backflanker with 18 to top it off

Max Gawn for pick #34.

Ruckman and a bloody tall one as well, probably should research if he can actually play football before I say this though because I've got no idea if he can or not.

Only things I know are: He's massive and he's a ruckman.

Good enough for me.

Im sold. Anyone that size at 18 is gonna be an unco anyway. Just draft him and hope he can develop.

Would like to see Dylan Grimes at pick 34 which is around about where he is being rated. Nice to get another defender in there for future depth, and I don't think Warnock will be around for more than 2 years.

1. Scully
2. Tengove
11. KPF - Butcher/Black/Panos
18. Best Mid or Talia/Panos if availible
34. Gawn
50. Temel or pass if we took another KPF @18

I think Temel and Black are both worth a punt. We need a 2nd KPF, we have Watts as the main forward but i wouldn't mind taking a couple of risks and give ourselves some options.

Especially if we can get Ball in the PSD.

Would like to see Dylan Grimes at pick 34 which is around about where he is being rated. Nice to get another defender in there for future depth, and I don't think Warnock will be around for more than 2 years.

As would I though some argument against him is that we have too many tall backs. I don't see what is wrong with competition in a side, it keeps everyone trying to play at their best so they don't get dropped. Would not pick him earlier but pick 34 seems correct for a player of his perceived ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As would I though some argument against him is that we have too many tall backs. I don't see what is wrong with competition in a side, it keeps everyone trying to play at their best so they don't get dropped. Would not pick him earlier but pick 34 seems correct for a player of his perceived ability.

Yeah I don't think we have too many backs, and it is likely that Garland could go up forward as well as Martin playing as a ruck/forward so it leaves Rivers, Warnock, Frawley and Mcnamara so another one wouldn't hurt.

Tested really well at Draft camp, would be good pick up at 50 but may not last that long.

1: Scully
2: Trengrove
11&18: two of Butcher, Panos, Carlsile, Black, Talia
34: either of Gawn, Fyfe, Grimes
50: Temel or Hill

Hill is 198 cm ruckmen strong hands, will fill out to solid build struggled with injury this year was touted as top 20 pick last year for 2009 draft.

Going to look for more options with pick 34.

I think at pick 34 we should look at David Astbury. 194.5cm utility that could fill gaps at both ends. Has a massive tank, great hands and when fills out will be a handy AFL player. Still growing i reckon too

Too many tall backs competing for the same spots is one thing, but we could do with an 18 y.o. KPD who we can give 3-4 years to develop, by which time Warnock & Rivers are 29-30 & one of them are likely to be on the decline.

In saying that though, if Grimes is rated at about 34 as previously noted, then you would think someone else we rate above him would be available because the draft never goes exactly by the book.

I would like to see us take scully and trengove obviously with 1 and 2.
Then hopefully black at 11 if available.
Then at pick 18 lewis jetta or koby stevens if available
Then a ruckman with pick 34.
And with pick 50 dylan grimes if he is still available, as it would be good for him to play with his brother.

i would love to see either Buthcer or Black in the red and blue next year... does anyone have any clips of Black playing?

Can we please avoid taking a ruckman with pick 11 or 18.

Here's a little bit of research on the kinds of ruckman who have gone around the late first round/early second round mark in recent years:

2008: Pick 22 PA, Jackson Trengrove
2007:pick 17 PA, Matthew Lobbe
2006: Pick 17 CAR, Shaun Hampson, Pick 24 HAW Brent Renouf
2005: Pick 18 HAW, Max Bailey, Pick 31 GEE Trent West
2004: Pick 16 RICH, Adam Pattison, Pick 18 BL Cameron Wood
2002: Pick 15 MEL Nick Smith, Pick 20 WB Will Minson, Pick 21 COL Bo Nixon, Pick 24 WC Paul Johnson
2001: Pick 15 PA Barry Brooks, Pick 22 WC Mark Seaby
2000: Pick 23 NM Drew Petrie

hardly an honour role..very very dicey selection taking a ruckman there. Would prefer to grab another mid, I would nearly go as far as to say we MUST grab the best available midfielder there

Remove this Banner Ad

The National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back