The NBL and why has it gone to the dogs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad to see the NBL slowly fade into obscurity over the years and I agree with a lot that has been said here, particularly the following factors:

- TV coverage
- Advertising/Marketing
- The fact that the NBA is now readily available to viewers. Will we follow a local league that is not the highest standard? Is it possible to follow both NBL and NBA these days?...The crossover between fans on this board is quite small.
- Involvement of the fans - need to give the general public a reason to follow the teams. NBL hasn't seemed to create a meaningful relationship with the public. Teams folding hasn't helped.
- Lack of money

Who doesn't remember the funny names of Leeroy Loggins and David Stiff, Tony Ronaldson's chest,
Got nothing on Chris Blakemore's chest.

At Tigers games, they still play music and sound effects from the 90's! It's extremely tacky and cheesy and they need to move on!
Yeah, the 36ers have played the same songs since forever as well..."We will rock you", that country sounding one that starts of "We're the Adelaide 36ers..."
Awful.
Involve fans in things like voting for the NBL All star teams, the dunk contest etc
Dunk comp died when Bret Rainbow left the league :p ...I remember that year where he robbed Calvin Talford & Mario Donaldson of the title.

For me the NBL died when Acie Earl, Bennett Davison, James Smith and Kevin Brooks all left.
It was an indictment on the league (and Earl himself) that Acie Earl came in and dominated - he was obviously overweight and out of shape but still couldn't be stopped.

Basically the league was run disgracefully between 2001-2009 and it may end up being the period that killed the game, hopefully not. They seem to be trying really hard to bring the league up to scratch and they are getting there. It basically boils down to money. They're isn't enough money that the clubs are sustainable enough, so the salary cap isn't increased, so better players won't come because the money is shit, so people don't watch because the standard isn't great, and clubs don't make money. It's a vicious cycle.

I'd like to see them go maybe a couple of seasons as an 8 team league, try and get it as sustainable as possible. Then look at bringing a team in from Brisbane, and perhaps a second Melbourne team. Just need to keep slowly building and hopefully they can return to the glory days.
Yeah, you summed it up nicely there. Hopefully the NBL keeps heading in the right direction.

it has dropped away to a pour standard and as others have said with nba on fox why spend to watch nbl live.no more quality imports, mainly because no money in the league and the best locals go overseas as well.

Teams have a lot of big bodied players and the lane gets clogged.

That's ANY game of basketball
facepalm.gif

The NBL's hard on for the Sydney Kings and the decision to go to Pay TV killed any momentum the league had.

They basically turned a blind eye to the Kings salary cap rorts for years. I remember on one of those NBL tv shows which had Clinton Grybas hosting, they ran a poll on weather the NBL should investigate the Kings. It was about 93% yes. No investigation of course. The Kings finally got their title but it was about six years too late.

Taking the league off free to air meant regular fans no longer watched the games. There weren't many house holds with it when they went down that road.

Obvious lack of development hasn't help. I was shocked Matt Nielsen was still getting a gig for the Boomers at these Olympics.

it has dropped away to a pour standard and as others have said with nba on fox why spend to watch nbl live.no more quality imports, mainly because no money in the league and the best locals go overseas as well.

an interesting pov. soccer was bagged for the same reason. best players play o/s, understood. but i think the a-league standard is ok.

The NBL's hard on for the Sydney Kings and the decision to go to Pay TV killed any momentum the league had.

They basically turned a blind eye to the Kings salary cap rorts for years. I remember on one of those NBL tv shows which had Clinton Grybas hosting, they ran a poll on weather the NBL should investigate the Kings. It was about 93% yes. No investigation of course. The Kings finally got their title but it was about six years too late.

did sydney rort the cap?

Whatever it is, its exposed that basketball is an American sport and American sports have limited expansion life around the world (eg baseball - Australia has the second tier ABL), or American Football (NFL (according to Chris Rock it stands for Ngr Fking Large :) )

The expansion of the sport of basketball at a top level has only really caught on in Europe, which has found a niche market playing orthodox disciplined fundamentals as opposed to aggressive African American athleticism, and Asia: where shooting a ball through a ring is a zen discipline (you want to find Asians? Go to be basketball court :D)

did sydney rort the cap?
They were never investigated, so no idea. I think they did, so did most of the fans at the time, but the league said otherwise.

Gotta say that Wildcats games in Perth this past season were actually the best in years. Close to a full house every time and a great atmosphere.

Those with an NBL team nearby, do you actually attend? If you don't then I think if you want a good league, you actually have to support the thing.

Btw, here's the best NBL video of all time.

I won't watch games on TV due to the extremely annoying music being blasted at every opportunity. You can't even hear the commentators. I also will not attend any games for this same reason. Oh, and then there's the standard of the game.

Why don't the NBL or teams listen to people who are jaded by the league/game in Australia? If they don't start listening there will be no growth. I guess they are content with the few people that go who seemingly love the experience with their clappers?

Your vote can help start to get the NBL back from the dogs!
The NBL All Star Uniform Competition is down to four finalists, it's now up for public vote, and we can make a difference!
The best unis are sleek, simple and sharp.
They don't have big maps on them, they don't have oversized logos/graphics that make them look like free tshirts from a kids' basketball camp, and they don't have a ridiculously gigantic star covering them that makes it look like they belong to a female gymnast/suburban T20 cricketer/space clown.
Remember, players are gonna have to actually wear these things, and strangely, many of us like basketball uniforms that look like basketball uniforms. Which leaves us with these beauties (known as Option 4). Please VOTE 4 OPTION 4. http://nbl.com.au/allstarvote
northsouth.jpg

Your vote can help start to get the NBL back from the dogs!
The NBL All Star Uniform Competition is down to four finalists, it's now up for public vote, and we can make a difference!
The best unis are sleek, simple and sharp.
They don't have big maps on them, they don't have oversized logos/graphics that make them look like free tshirts from a kids' basketball camp, and they don't have a ridiculously gigantic star covering them that makes it look like they belong to a female gymnast/suburban T20 cricketer/space clown.
Remember, players are gonna have to actually wear these things, and strangely, many of us like basketball uniforms that look like basketball uniforms. Which leaves us with these beauties (known as Option 4). Please VOTE 4 OPTION 4. http://nbl.com.au/allstarvote
northsouth.jpg

is that your design leo?

looks great!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

apparently there was a promo of the L in the city today. wish there was more promo about it, didnt know it was on.

anyway the L boss said there would be a lot of talent from the boomers in the L. just checked the olympic roster and there are 2 L players.

Ild love to see a Sunday Night double header on Free to Air TV and Live Wednesday night game again on Free to Air TV. We are down to 8 teams, possibly 2 Wednesday Night games and 2 Sunday games each week, obviously the local area doesn't get the local game.

We need an overhaul of the way it is run however, the dictatorship doesn't work in Australian Sport.

We need more $'s, free to Air TV and a more spectator friendly product, end of story!

The problem is also the players. Too much about money and not enough about loyalty.

Ok, fine, to get properly recognised these days in any sport you have to play the big time, or be compared to as such. Imagine if Andrew Bogut or Patty Mills come and play full time NBL? I'd suggest the interest it would create would generate a larger following. What about a trial game with some big name NBA players?

Would a switch back to Winter be worth while?

Would a switch back to Winter be worth while?

That's actually not such a bad idea, or perhaps maybe even 'Shoulder' season (whatever that is ;) )

What raised the standard of the NBL in the past was because it was not in direct competition with the NBA or even Euro leagues. Fringe NBA players, or NBA calibre players who couldn't get a game (for whatever reason) - came downunder. Loggins, Fisher, Crawford, Grace, Robert Rose, Joey Wright, Fred Cofield, Andre Moore, Dave Simmons. and they all became Australian basketball legends

Well, I look at the decline of the NBL, and when you think about it, it started around the same time they switched to a summer season. Too much of a co-incidence if you ask me, plus every other Basketball league does Winter. Perhaps we should send an email to the NBL with a detailed list of things we all would like to see?

The tyranny of distance between Australian cities is an issue with the NBL, to weigh up the logistics factor, the sponsorship dollar is needed to drive this competition as opposed to match attendances because Basketball is restricted by the size of the indoor stadiums. You can't have 40000 size crowds for basketball (well, they can build a 40000 seat stadium for basketball, but the most of the crowd wont be able to see sh*t) - and that is average regular attendance needed to afford the top quality triple-A players in Australia, unless they started charging $300 a ticket :rolleyes: . the NBL missed a trick with using television as the dominant medium and revenue generation.

That's why the SEABL is in many ways a more practical Basketball competition (because that's where teams like the Falcons, the Cannons and the Supercats are playing these days) , even though that competition excludes Perth and Adelaide. Maybe that's where the Hobart Tassie Devils should look to join, the Tassie Devils were such a permanently endangered and extinct species in the NBL- it was not funny :eek:

You know it's funny should mention the Devils. We have an ex-player as a local MP up here in SA :D

Food for thought, should the NBL and the SEABL merge, and become a first-second tier league, with the top 2-3 teams from the SEABL being promoted to the NBL, and the bottom NBL sides getting relegated?

Failure to get on FTA killed it.

They're still failing as far as I'm concerned because by the time they did get onto real television they were broke and suck.

That and Julius Hodge, washed up hack and the biggest loser to ever pull on a BBall jersey in Australia :thumbsdown:

Julius Hodge

DON'T. YOU. EVER. MENTION. THAT. NAME. EVER. AGAIN.

Mods, censor that same to replace it with "Useless Prick of a Hack". Thankyou in Advance!

No seriously, he is a disrespectful tw@t and a hack. Karma will come knocking.

Remove this Banner Ad

The NBL and why has it gone to the dogs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back