The new "Big" boys Shootouts and the 100 back?

Remove this Banner Ad

2-3 years ago Michael Hurley was the first player listed in these sort of discussions.

I'd bet that a few of those unproven guys won't make it.

6 (Boyd, Hogan, Brown, Moore, Wright, McCartin) have played either less than half a season or none at all, and Patton has knee injuries. Would suggest that some won't 'make' it through pure statistics. And there is only so many Colemans and FF, FP and CHF AA spots to go around (KF accolades basically) so some will probably be good footballers but never be HoF'ers.

I'd say Jeremy Cameron would be the best bet to do so, and Jake Carlisle is the one who could be 'anything'. Those 2 could maybe do it. The rest are all unproven, don't play close enough to goal, and Joe Daniher who goes alright but I think Carlisle has more 'potential' to kick 100 (dirty word).

Most of the great forwards had pace off the mark (Dunstall, Lockett, Ablett, Carey etc), their first 20m belied their height and shape, even the good full forwards like Lloyd and Fev were quick. Boyd on the other has a turning circle of the Titanic and is slow, he will need other tricks just to get to 50 goals in a season.

Most of the great forwards had pace off the mark (Dunstall, Lockett, Ablett, Carey etc), their first 20m belied their height and shape, even the good full forwards like Lloyd and Fev were quick. Boyd on the other has a turning circle of the Titanic and is slow, he will need other tricks just to get to 50 goals in a season.
A 20m sprint time of 2.95 says you are full of shit.

I doubt it. I don't see anything more special about these new big guys than those of 10-15 years ago.

Guys like Bradley (pick 6), Gumbleton (2), Fitzgerald (4), Thorp (6), Laycock (10), Polak (4), Brooks (15), Walsh (4) and Dowler (6) were all high draft picks and didn't exactly live up to their potential.

I would be very surprised if anyone kicks 100 goals in the next 10 seasons.

It has nothing to do with the quality of player that is playing, but the game styles that are used. So many teams use "frontal pressure" that their forward line is absolutely crammed full of players, making it very difficult for forwards to kick bags. In the 80's and 90's, players had so much space in their forward line that big forwards could dominate. The only player that may go close is Buddy, but I don't think the Swans game style will allow for it.

I still remember when Buddy and Fev had a shootout in Rd 22 2008. Fev finished on 7 goals and a few behinds and Franklin on 4 goals and a few behinds. What made it so special was they were both gunning for the Coleman. Fev was 1 short on 99 while Franklin took it out. Such a good atmosphere, even though Carlton were throttled.

The most exciting 70 point thrashing ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barring injury, pencil in big bobby brown for 50+ goals.

Will kick more than the 7 million dollar man at the Dogs lmao
He also has both Petrie and 'Mr potential' down there to help him out and take the first and second defender. Boyd will be one out against the best defender every week.

#saveboomer

He also has both Petrie and 'Mr potential' down there to help him out and take the first and second defender. Boyd will be one out against the best defender every week.

#saveboomer

I expect Boyd to have a similar year to Joey D had this year, Kick around 25-30 take a few big marks and really show his attitude to working hard and bouncing back from pressure outside the field.

Joeys 2nd half of the season was awesome especially after bomber called him out on being selfish, His attitude was perfect.

I expect Boyd to have a similar year to Joey D had this year, Kick around 25-30 take a few big marks and really show his attitude to working hard and bouncing back from pressure outside the field.

Joeys 2nd half of the season was awesome especially after bomber called him out on being selfish, His attitude was perfect.
Yep, that's what just about every dogs supporter I've spoken to expects. About a goal a game next year then gradually step it up.

Yep, that's what just about every dogs supporter I've spoken to expects. About a goal a game next year then gradually step it up.
The real improvement needs to come from Crameri and Stringer.

I can see Stringer kicking close to 40.

The real improvement needs to come from Crameri and Stringer.

I can see Stringer kicking close to 40.
Depends if he spends alot of time forward. He should be playing 70-30 forward-mid next year so i'd say closer to 30 would be realistic and Crameri kicks closer to 45.

Depends if he spends alot of time forward. He should be playing 70-30 forward-mid next year so i'd say closer to 30 would be realistic and Crameri kicks closer to 45.

That's true of everyone.

If you ever saw Lockett or Dunstall outside F50, the siren had probably gone for the end of the qtr.

Tactics, both offensive and defensive have changed and that's what stops the 100+ goal forwards, not a lack of talent and ability.

What sometimes gets forgotten in regards to the 100 goals is how accurate some of those players were. Dunstall and Lockett barely missed.

Buddy is really the only 100 clubber who is a bit erratic.

None of those young lads are particularly good set shot for goal.

Guys he put Waite in so that we'd focus on that rather than the questionable inclusion of Carlisle.
Carlisle is a Monty for the 100 club....

If they play the Dogs every week.

Joe Daniher
Tom Boyd
Jeremy Cameron
Tom Lynch
Jesse Hogan
Jake Carlisle
Jon Patton
Ben Brown
Darcy Moore
Peter Wright
Patrick Mcartin
Jarrad Waite

That is a list of some of the new big boys in the comp, I've added some of this years draft fancies.

Is there a chance over the next 5-7 years we see the return of the shootout? Can you envisage some of these blokes going head to head in shootouts? I honestly think the 100 goals for the big guys isn't too far away again.

Throw in...

Franklin
Hawkins
Roughead
Walker
Cloke
Pavlich
Riewoldt
Shultz
Jack Riewoldt
Petrie
Tippet
Kennedy
Darling (could qualify for both groups)

It's safe to say the big Full forwards stocks in our game will be pretty healthy for years to come.

Carlisle will be heading into his 6th season and has never kicked over 30 goals even after his breakout year as a forward.
Can't see Waite turning back the clock either. No doubt be a solid contributor but 60+ is pushing it.

Boyd is the one that will greatly enjoy the new environment at the Dogs. Top midfield and he could do a Jeremy Cameron right off the bat.

Remove this Banner Ad

The new "Big" boys Shootouts and the 100 back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back