The new "Big" boys Shootouts and the 100 back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlisle will be heading into his 6th season and has never kicked over 30 goals even after his breakout year as a forward.
Can't see Waite turning back the clock either. No doubt be a solid contributor but 60+ is pushing it.

Boyd is the one that will greatly enjoy the new environment at the Dogs. Top midfield and he could do a Jeremy Cameron right off the bat.

Heading into his 2nd season as a forward, He deserves to be in that group right now.

Most of the great forwards had pace off the mark (Dunstall, Lockett, Ablett, Carey etc), their first 20m belied their height and shape, even the good full forwards like Lloyd and Fev were quick. Boyd on the other has a turning circle of the Titanic and is slow, he will need other tricks just to get to 50 goals in a season.

It's amazing how far Carlton supporters have gone off Boyd now. Still feeling a bit jilted?

Wrong. It will undoubtedly happen again.

Yes, and no one will ever bump this post when it turns out to be wrong.

So what exactly are you basing this on ?

Given that

1.the game moving away from set positions, meaning no set full time full forwards.

2. gameplans are moving towards a greater spread of goalkickers and less reliance on star players.

3. players are spending less time on the ground.

4. players are being managed more and emphasis on team play more meaning less games are played.

5. there are increasly more injuries and star players are never risked

6. gameplans are more based on team defence mkaing it easier to shut down one key taregt.

7. there is far more chance of suspension.

8. there is more emphasis on team play and unselfish play.

All these factors reduce the chances of a single player kicking a large amount of goals over the season and many of them have just started to become trends.

no one has kicked more than 82 in the last 5 years.

So what exactly are you basing this on ?

All these factors reduce the chances of a single player kicking a large amount of goals over the season and many of them have just started to become trends.

These are all current trends. But things can change.

In the 1930s, forwards were regularly kicking 90-100 goals a year. There was no sign of that changing until the boundary throw in was introduced in 1939. This led to more play down the wings and flanks and less long kicks straight to full forward. Nobody except John Coleman would kick more than 100 goals for another 29 years. The return of high scoring forwards in the 70s was the result of another rule change in 1969 - the out of bounds on the full free kick. This led to more direct play once again and higher scores.

My point being, things can change in this sport. Just because it's trending one way now doesn't mean that won't change.

What sometimes gets forgotten in regards to the 100 goals is how accurate some of those players were. Dunstall and Lockett barely missed.

Buddy is really the only 100 clubber who is a bit erratic.

None of those young lads are particularly good set shot for goal.

Peter Sumich and his 111.89 (plus who knows how many OOF) in 1991 says hi.

Also - when Gary Ablett kicked his 3 straight years of 100+ in the mid 90s he went:

Peter Sumich and his 111.89 (plus who knows how many OOF) in 1991 says hi.

Also - when Gary Ablett kicked his 3 straight years of 100+ in the mid 90s he went:

Was about to post about Snr, sprayed em all over. Of course that's likely because half of his shots had a difficulty rating of 99.999999173.

Honestly I hope so, I miss the days of the big boys with their big bags (no pun intended). But as others have said, the modern defensive style with flooding and ball control (hehe) has seen an end to the one-outs, which is a shame as there is nothing better than seeing a hapless FB isolated and owned like Scott Thompson was by Lance 'Buddy' Franklin in that final last year. Out of that list the only one I could see doing it is Jeremy Cameron. At his best he is good at finding space, off the ground and snagging those cleverrrrr goals that all add up these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It amazes me that people talk about 100 goals as something that happened in the past and will never be done again. In fact this cycle we are in is completely normal. No one kicked a 100 from 1897 - 1926 (30 years), then no one from 1941 - 51 (10 years), then no one from 1954 - 67 (13 years) and there are lots of gaps of 5 -7 years scattered through history. Current gap is 6 years.

Some one will kick 100 again. With the current batch of forwards likely soon and maybe will even get another freak period when 3 greats a la McKenna, Jezza, Hudson or Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett come along at the same time.

It amazes me that people talk about 100 goals as something that happened in the past and will never be done again. In fact this cycle we are in is completely normal. No one kicked a 100 from 1897 - 1926 (30 years), then no one from 1941 - 51 (10 years), then no one from 1954 - 67 (13 years) and there are lots of gaps of 5 -7 years scattered through history. Current gap is 6 years.

Some one will kick 100 again. With the current batch of forwards likely soon and maybe will even get another freak period when 3 greats a la McKenna, Jezza, Hudson or Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett come along at the same time.

It's a damn shame that Plugger missed a lot of 1993 through injury (only 10 games, kicking 53 goals), as you'd have ended up with 4 centurions in a single season. Incredible. 12 players that season kicked 60+ goals.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but scoring does seem to be up this year. Is attack back in fashion? Even the 'dour Dockers' have been scoring above the league average since last season. However, due to the emphasis on midfield goals and sharing the forward workload, I think that kicking the century will be achieved again but only rarely by forwards having exceptionally dominant seasons (e.g. Franklin 2008). I can see it happening once in a decade or so and will be an altogether rarer occurrence. What I can't see is Franklin's 2008 hundred being the last ever.

I love how history changes things

Roughead drifted back, Clarko dragged him, that's what happened

Rough even said himself it was his own call
What was "poor form" was the way the Carlton players were trying to get Fev the ton at the expense of the team and overlooking better options to score, hence they were flogged.

1372179600000.jpg

If this guy could kick 100 at any time in the history of ever, then surely it will happen again?!

There won't be a ton kicked in a season for 10 years IMO, game is too fast, too many changes, alot more full ground pressure. there is less and less laces out straight in front of a leading forward passing anymore.

Any coach worth their paycheck would make the switch you'd think (except Malthouse with Kennedy) to nullify a forward who has kicked 5 and is looking to add to his bag. Possibly go from a zone to man on man etc.

Shoot outs are a thing of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

The new "Big" boys Shootouts and the 100 back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back