The numbers on Richmond's jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

footyman

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For people at the game did you have problems seeing the numbers on the back of the player jumpers?

The new jumpers with the yellow sash on the back is a decent idea, but when the numbers are white they tend to just blur together. Forget the carry on about Melbourne and Essendon's jumper last night - the numbers on the back of jumpers must be clearly visible for spectators and TV viewers.

footyman said:
For people at the game did you have problems seeing the numbers on the back of the player jumpers?

The new jumpers with the yellow sash on the back is a decent idea, but when the numbers are white they tend to just blur together. Forget the carry on about Melbourne and Essendon's jumper last night - the numbers on the back of jumpers must be clearly visible for spectators and TV viewers.
I would much rather identify my team first, then worry about who the players are.

footyman said:

I was at the ground and did have some trouble with reading some of the player numbers, for some reason Greg Tivendale's was especially hard to read.

The design seemed somewhat different to the number style from generations gone past. Probably some tweaking could be done with it to make it easier to read.

They put a black outline around the numbers to try and make it easier to read but from what I've heard from those at the game, it's still a bit of a struggle to make them out.

wagstaff said:
I was at the ground and did have some trouble with reading some of the player numbers, for some reason Greg Tivendale's was especially hard to read.

He was easy to spot tho. Apparently he was the one grazing on the wing not getting near the ball.

It's more the coolmax material than the numbers.
The material is shiny, and made worse in sunny conditions.
Shiny yellow looks very much like shiny white.
So the numbers are going to be difficult to see.
To make it worse, the font Richmond use is some odd sort of Nike font, where many of the numbers look very similar.
AFL-numbers.gif

Fire said:
Shiny anything looks like shiny white, because no matter the base colour of the material is (even Black), shine is always white.
Well, noone complains about dark on white, or white on dark.
Depends how shiny I guess.
And they've worn those jumpers for 8 years now.

Mero said:
Well, noone complains about dark on white, or white on dark.
Depends how shiny I guess.
And they've worn those jumpers for 8 years now.

I believe the confusion arises because it is not dark on white, rather the sash runs through the light numbers?

I have not seen them myself but that’s is what I am basing my comment on, as its what I read earlier in the thread.

BTW there is a big difference between 'shiny' and 'glossy'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fire said:
I believe the confusion arises because it is not dark on white, rather the sash runs through the light numbers?

I have not seen them myself but that’s is what I am basing my comment on, as its what I read earlier in the thread.

BTW there is a big difference between 'shiny' and 'glossy'.

I watched the highlights on Fox Footy, and you could see them OK.
Might be different from the stands.
I think you're right though, it's the white on yellow combination that would make them difficult to see on the coolmax jumpers, whether they are glossy or shiny.

They had sashes on the back through the 70s and 80s and it was never that hard to read them. It has to be the materials.

I think the glossy fabric is probably 90% of the reason everyone complains about jumper clashes nowadays. Everyone always says "how come it wasn't an issue until just now? We got along fine for 100 years". I blame shiny jumpers.

Seems like the yellow is lighter, too, almost flourescent.

I liked them. Only watched a half but didn't have to many problems.
Admittidly I didn't need to look at a players number to distinguish him, but I thought they looked good.

Mero said:
It's more the coolmax material than the numbers.
The material is shiny, and made worse in sunny conditions.
Shiny yellow looks very much like shiny white.
So the numbers are going to be difficult to see.
To make it worse, the font Richmond use is some odd sort of Nike font, where many of the numbers look very similar.
AFL-numbers.gif

BRING BACK ROMAN NUMERALS!

Stealth bomber said:
I think the glossy fabric is probably 90% of the reason everyone complains about jumper clashes nowadays. Everyone always says "how come it wasn't an issue until just now? We got along fine for 100 years". I blame shiny jumpers.

I think one of the bigger problems is teams modifying their jumpers.

For instance, 100 years ago you would never get confused in an Essendon V Melbourne game because Melbourne used to wear red and blue, whereas nowadays its more of a red and black.
Same goes for Carlton.
And West Coast.

footyman said:

I think it's a great idea for the Richmond players to wear numbers that are hard to identify. After yesterdays performance I know I wouldn't want to be identified and want to keep as low a profile on the field as possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

The numbers on Richmond's jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back