The off topic thread 6.0

Remove this Banner Ad

I think bringing up, out of the blue, the death of a close friend to win an argument on an online forum pretty poor taste but I guess that's where we're different.

Rather than melting down about a member of Tenacious D making a joke on stage and somehow linking it to a death ten years ago, you could take issue with members of the Republican party like this:

Seems much more incendiary and likely to encourage and promote violence and death.

Or Trump himself encouraging his supporters to fight and never surrender and incited them to storm the Capitol leading to a number of deaths and putting the US Congress under immediate threat.

You could take issue with Trump mocking Nancy Pelosi's husband's beating and near death experience, and his encouragement that she and others be targeted for attacks.

I could go on. But the fact that you've instead blown up over a Simpsons meme and a singer making a joke on stage in Australia is reasonably telling.
Who was I arguing with? I commented on a post chef made then you engaged me. Weird.

Sadly, I’ve had to justify why I’m so anti-killing people as in this thread I’ve been labeled “sanctimonious” for doing so. As I said, it’s close to home and I feel like I’m in a forum where I can open up about it without judgment, but here you are shaming me for it and accusing me of using it to win a non-existent argument. Unbelievable.

I’m not sure if you’ve ever lost someone through traumatic circumstances, but it doesn’t matter if it was yesterday, 1 month ago, 1 year ago or 10 years ago, it always feels fresh in your mind. Shutting down someone when they open up about trauma by dismissing it as “out of the blue” is extremely ignorant. I hope no one in your life ever has to rely on you for emotional support.

The difference between you and I is that you’re anti-Trump. I’m anti-killing people. I’m explaining (not arguing) why I take such a strong stance against murder. You’ve gotten offended by it because you, in this instance, have disturbingly advocated for it.

Your argument that I can’t condemn the Trump attack because I could’ve said x, y & z about totally separate incidents is ridiculous. You’re essentially saying I can’t condemn any heinous acts in the future because you haven’t witnessed me comment on your cherry picked cases of violence. Do you ever listen to yourself sometimes?

Trump is a pretty disgusting invidivual. Not convinced the world wouldn't be a better place without him personally. His views on women in particular are horrific.
What did he say about women that makes you think he should be killed?

Who was I arguing with? I commented on a post chef made then you engaged me. Weird.

Sadly, I’ve had to justify why I’m so anti-killing people as in this thread I’ve been labeled “sanctimonious” for doing so. As I said, it’s close to home and I feel like I’m in a forum where I can open up about it without judgment, but here you are shaming me for it and accusing me of using it to win a non-existent argument. Unbelievable.

I’m not sure if you’ve ever lost someone through traumatic circumstances, but it doesn’t matter if it was yesterday, 1 month ago, 1 year ago or 10 years ago, it always feels fresh in your mind. Shutting down someone when they open up about trauma by dismissing it as “out of the blue” is extremely ignorant. I hope no one in your life ever has to rely on you for emotional support.

The difference between you and I is that you’re anti-Trump. I’m anti-killing people. I’m explaining (not arguing) why I take such a strong stance against murder. You’ve gotten offended by it because you, in this instance, have disturbingly advocated for it.

Your argument that I can’t condemn the Trump attack because I could’ve said x, y & z about totally separate incidents is ridiculous. You’re essentially saying I can’t condemn any heinous acts in the future because you haven’t witnessed me comment on your cherry picked cases of violence. Do you ever listen to yourself sometimes?

That's a lot of words to say that you won't condemn his comments of a similar nature.

You're trying to make me feel guilty for calling you out on your wilful ignorance of the part Trump and his supporters have played in the violent rhetoric escalating to the point it has but it won't work.

I've already said I'm sorry for your loss.

That's a lot of words to say that you won't condemn his comments of a similar nature.

You're trying to make me feel guilty for calling you out on your wilful ignorance of the part Trump and his supporters have played in the violent rhetoric escalating to the point it has but it won't work.

I've already said I'm sorry for your loss.
His Pelosi comments? Horrific. I thought I already made my stance clear on that but apparently not. Doesn’t justify murdering him though.

You really do have a high opinion of yourself. I also wouldn’t bother with attempting to make you feel guilty about anything. Guilt is linked with a willingness to acknowledge mistakes, something I highly doubt you’ve ever done.

I don’t want your apologies. You’ve said enough to make it clear you have zero compassion for my loss and you were rightfully called out for it by another poster.

Probably best you do yourself a favour and move on. You really haven’t helped yourself today.

What did he say about women that makes you think he should be killed?
You got any kids mate? How would you like if someone said about your daughter "grab them by the pussy!" Read the book She Said.

And my comment was not exclusively about his treatement of women, but his character in general.

I'm assuming you'd have advocated for Hitler to have lived a full life? Or someone like let's say Adrian Bailey who had 27 counts of rape and then murdered someone?

We don't need to agree, and you can question my morals, but there are exceptions to the rule in my opinion.

You got any kids mate? How would you like if someone said about your daughter "grab them by the pussy!" Read the book She Said.

And my comment was not exclusively about his treatement of women, but his character in general.

I'm assuming you'd have advocated for Hitler to have lived a full life? Or someone like let's say Adrian Bailey who had 27 counts of rape and then murdered someone?

We don't need to agree, and you can question my morals, but there are exceptions to the rule in my opinion.
So you’re comparing something Trump said (admittedly very inappropriate) to genocide and abduction/rape/murder? Your definition of “exceptions” is very loose. I guess that’s where we strongly disagree with one another. I don’t want to kill off everyone that has made an inappropriate comment/joke. May as well start off with the Argentinian football team if we were to do that. SM even made one the other day. Should we put a bullet in his head?

His Pelosi comments? Horrific. I thought I already made my stance clear on that but apparently not. Doesn’t justify murdering him though.

You really do have a high opinion of yourself. I also wouldn’t bother with attempting to make you feel guilty about anything. Guilt is linked with a willingness to acknowledge mistakes, something I highly doubt you’ve ever done.

I don’t want your apologies. You’ve said enough to make it clear you have zero compassion for my loss and you were rightfully called out for it by another poster.

Probably best you do yourself a favour and move on. You really haven’t helped yourself today.
The poster in question has close ties to this conversation so I completely respect his perspective on the themes being discussed. I do think he slightly misread my post though.

I don’t condone murder on anyone but the fact Trump makes it ridiculously hard for people with sound morals to even remotely question whether the world would be better off without him speaks volumes.

You clearly want Trump dead but are performing mental gymnastics to retain the moral high ground while happy to see the dirty work done by some nutjob who has been inflamed by such rhetoric.

I'll happily say the world is a better place without Putin around. What scum the Russian invaders are.

This one hit particularly close to home. A mate's nephew played soccer in the same league as one of the victims of this atrocity.

I think that is the line. Once you crossover from a nutter like Trump and dip into the actions of dictatorships and genocide that's the point where I have no issues with stating that at all. Wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over a Ukrainian soldier assassinating Putin. History shows that every now and then we get presented with the reprehensible in society, and the last 100 years has had a few. Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin, Putin etc.

Wonder where others land on serial killers ala Bundy, Malat etc. As well as rock spiders.
That sub-group of humans are the same to me. We're a better world without them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The poster in question has close ties to this conversation so I completely respect his perspective on the themes being discussed. I do think he slightly misread my post though.
Kinda makes some of your takes even worse.

So you’re comparing something Trump said (admittedly very inappropriate) to genocide and abduction/rape/murder? Your definition of “exceptions” is very loose. I guess that’s where we strongly disagree with one another. I don’t want to kill off everyone that has made an inappropriate comment/joke. May as well start off with the Argentinian football team if we were to do that. SM even made one the other day. Should we put a bullet in his head?
Capitol riots incited absurd amounts of violence and resulted in murder. He is divisive, he spreads hate. He is an awful human being.

You did not answer my question about Hitler though. Did he deserve to live a full life? Was it just he comitted suicide?

You can have your view. You're quite entitled to it. At the end of the day you're a random on the internet - as I am to you - and I won't lose sleep if we don't agree.

I have many more important things in my life to worry about.
I think that is the line. Once you crossover from a nutter like Trump and dip into the actions of dictatorships and genocide that's the point where I have no issues with stating that at all. Wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over a Ukrainian soldier assassinating Putin. History shows that every now and then we get presented with the reprehensible in society, and the last 100 years has had a few. Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin, Putin etc.

Wonder where others land on serial killers ala Bundy, Malat etc. As well as rock spiders.
That sub-group of humans are the same to me. We're a better world without them.
Yup, no losses.

Wasn't that the entire point of the post..?
I think bok_party is getting a rough character inspection from Frank.

I interpreted the comment as pointing out Trump's antics, behaviour and persona is so deranged and inherently dislikeable that the question from ordinarily normal people about the morality of his existence actually speaks volumes about the type of person he is.

Most politicians are unpopular. Trump seemingly extracts a bipolar reaction. He's either intensely loved and adored, almost cult like.. Or he's despised.

I interpreted the comment as pointing out Trump's antics, behaviour and persona is so deranged and inherently dislikeable that the question from ordinarily normal people about the morality of his existence actually speaks volumes about the type of person he is.

Most politicians are unpopular. Trump seemingly extracts a bipolar reaction. He's either intensely loved and adored, almost cult like.. Or he's despised.
That's how I interpreted it too.

You clearly want Trump dead but are performing mental gymnastics to retain the moral high ground while happy to see the dirty work done by some nutjob who has been inflamed by such rhetoric.
If that’s how you want to interpret it then that’s on you.

Nailed it.

Capitol riots incited absurd amounts of violence and resulted in murder. He is divisive, he spreads hate. He is an awful human being.

You did not answer my question about Hitler though. Did he deserve to live a full life? Was it just he comitted suicide?

You can have your view. You're quite entitled to it. At the end of the day you're a random on the internet - as I am to you - and I won't lose sleep if we don't agree.

I have many more important things in my life to worry about.
Who was murdered at The Capitol?

Because it’s a false equivalence. Do I really need to put in a disclaimer that arguably the worst person in the history of existence is one of very few exceptions?

This shouldn’t need explaining, but you need to factor in magnitude, context and comparability. The actions and historical impact of Hitler are far greater than anything that has come from Trump’s political career.

You might not like the guy, but Trump hasn’t committed genocide or instigated a World War like Hitler did. The fact you’re even drawing these comparisons is extraordinary. You’re basically suggesting they are comparable in terms of moral and historical significance, which is inaccurate and misleading. I also find this kind of rhetoric as dangerous.

And likewise. You do you.

If that’s how you want to interpret it then that’s on you.

Nailed it.
Perhaps your thoughts are more indicative of you as a person and your (in)ability to uphold ethical standards rather than Trump himself. How can people with “sound morals” not respect human life and dignity? Regardless of your opinion of him, your comment undermines value and respect for human life, something you’ve probably been guilty of accusing Trump of.

If politics cause you to deviate from wanting a peaceful coexistence, then I’d suggest seeking professional help. Venting on here and getting thumbs up from strangers on the internet isn’t the great solution you think it is. Have you tried activism or healthy political discourse? If that doesn’t satisfy the itch and you start normalising things like murder in your mind, then it’s all on you I’m afraid.

Perhaps your thoughts are more indicative of you as a person and your (in)ability to uphold ethical standards rather than Trump himself. How can people with “sound morals” not respect human life and dignity? Regardless of your opinion of him, your comment undermines value and respect for human life, something you’ve probably been guilty of accusing Trump of.

If politics cause you to deviate from wanting a peaceful coexistence, then I’d suggest seeking professional help. Venting on here and getting thumbs up from strangers on the internet isn’t the great solution you think it is. Have you tried activism or healthy political discourse? If that doesn’t satisfy the itch and you start normalising things like murder in your mind, then it’s all on you I’m afraid.
Fact is Trump incited a riot because he wouldn’t accept election result. It was the actions of a wannabe tyrant/autocrat. Who would’ve thought in a country that holds itself up as a defender of democracy that a President would openly lie that a result was fixed just like despots do. And then to encourage his loony followers to storm the capitol. Incredibly dangerous that could have escalated to disaster. The fact he incited it is reprehensible. He’s also a habitual liar and a felon. A moronic racist misogynistic women abuser. Basically a real c***. So some people may not feel that sympathetic towards him.

The Supreme Court has given him power to virtually so as he pleases. Sacking experience federal agency workers and replacing them with his inexperienced acolytes. Dangerous

He’s also intimated that the US could pull out of NATO and withdraw support of Ukraine. That could be perceived as very dangerous to Europe and rest of the world.

So if people think this is just normal left v right …you’re kidding yourselves

Remove this Banner Ad

The off topic thread 6.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back