The OFFICIAL Gold Coast Sharks campaign!

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, there seems to be a majority consensus on here that names chosen by GC17 suck balls.

So if you are with me, then register at http://gc17.com.au/

Await the email, and then fill in their survey and write that you want the name to be Sharks!

Aussie Rules Football on the Gold Coast has always been the Sharks, and the Sharks have always been Aussie Rules Football.

Every push for an AFL Gold Coast licence has always centred around the Sharks moniker.

We have only six weeks to make things right, and end up with a football club with a real name!

Vote #1 Sharks!

I agree.... the names chosen by GC17 do suck but if we have to choose what they have chosen then please vote Marlins which is the best one of the 5. I know in years to come if the Marlins are chosen we'll look back at this and we'll be so happy we made the right choice!!
I agree with numchucks!! In the space where it asks for another name please write sharks. I did. But i ask incase the sharks are not chosen then select Marlins as well. :thumbsu:

Stingrays, Marlins or Suns!! I don't mind but all i ask is that they
DO NOT CHOOSE bloody Ironmen or Gaurds or Rays!! They are so Wrong!!
NO Ironmen!! :mad:

Actually I'm pretty sure Southport only became the Sharks in the 1980s.

But Sharks is the best of the proposed names. They should work out a way around it.

Marlins or suns better than Sharks...... which puts Southport haters offside straight away.

I like Suns.

Sons of Suns win again= good headline
Suns going down or suns see the light, sunny side up ....... headlines are endless.
Suns of guns
Sun worshippers
IF Cher ever comes to a game + Sunny and Cher

One of the positives of the Marlin name is that is unused in bigtime Ozzie sport. It will create no confusion in the media.

Sharks on the other hand is already Southport QAFL. It is also Cronulla Sharks NRL since 1967. They alone will mount a huge legal stoush.

Imagine the confusion when the Sharks visit the Gold Coast to play Titans, whilst at the same time, the Sharks v Lions, or at the same time, the Sharks vs Mt Gravatt.

Do you see the difficulty, and trust Murphy's Law, it will happen. "Marlins" is not confused with any other major sporting logo in Oz, so go for it!

Apparently, the much mooted "Suns" is being shot down now due to the NBL Townsville experience where it had to change its name. Fremantle can't use its logo word "Dockers" on any official merchandising as a USA clothing company of the same name stopped them in '96, the second year of their operation!

Sharks won't even get to the drawing board, as the GC17 edict has said. Get over it and move on.

Marlins should be the name selected. Sounds the best with Tasmania... Tasmania Marlins, might as well select a name for the future considering that they won't last 3 years on the Gold Coast

Sharks isn't going to happen. That much has already been decided.

Support the Hammerheads name instead. :thumbsu:

It is a more unique name, sounds awesome and a pretty darn good compromise.

CorpusChristiHammerheads.GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best name for the club is "the Gold Coast Goldfish" or "Gold Coast Mermen", or maybe "the Gold Coast Plankton".

But honestly I hope it is Gold Coast Celtic

Celtic is being talked about for West Sydney, not the Gold Coast. Thankfully, name wouldn't fit the Gold Coast or the people there at all.

Sharks is my favourite too, but I'm glad that the AFL is listening to what local people want rather than what outsiders (like me) want.

If there are good reasons why the sharks name would alienate some people, then thats good enough for me.

Marlins and Hammerheads are the better ones.

Sharks is my favourite too, but I'm glad that the AFL is listening to what local people want rather than what outsiders (like me) want.

If there are good reasons why the sharks name would alienate some people, then thats good enough for me.

Marlins and Hammerheads are the better ones.

Who would it alienate, and why?

If you want to go down the path of inventing excuses, then no mascot would be suitable.

Marlins or suns better than Sharks...... which puts Southport haters offside straight away.

I like Suns.

Sons of Suns win again= good headline
Suns going down or suns see the light, sunny side up ....... headlines are endless.
Suns of guns
Sun worshippers
IF Cher ever comes to a game + Sunny and Cher

Shark attack / Shark Bait - much better headlines than any of them.

People of Queensland that severely dislike the Southport Sharks, much like Port Adelaide haters from the SANFL.

I keep hearing this argument, but it just aint so. You guys are talking about the QAFL as if it's like the SANFL, which just isn't true.

People don't follow Aussie Rules on the Gold Coast, period.

Barely anyone goes to the game up there, I've been to QAFL games and there's been probably a hundred at most watching it.

You can't think of the Gold Coast as Adelaide, naming them the Sharks aint going to alienate half the city. They just aren't as passionate about their footy, most wouldn't even know who the Sharks are, let alone enough to hate a new Gold Coast team.

People of Queensland that severely dislike the Southport Sharks, much like Port Adelaide haters from the SANFL.

Thats a rort. The QAFL is nothing like the SANFL. It is based in a developing market. The main reason for the GC team is to attract NEW people to the game. These kind of people would be lucky to know who Southport are, let alone hold a passionate grudge against them.

And in any event, SOUTHPORT IS INVOLVED. If you are going to be alienated by Southport having involvement or ties, then you already have been. It doesnt matter which moniker they are going to use.

Thirdly, Sharks is CLEARLY the most popular choice. Clearly. Not just amoungst us who already have allegances, but amoungst the GC and QLD population. It is baffeling to even suggest that the Sharks will be a deterant when they are having to come up with alternatives like Guards and Ironmen.

The real reason why they wont chose the Sharks is because it will make whever is in charge of marketing look bad. You can't just chose the obvious, most popular choice. So they come up with irrelevant excuses to avoid doing so. The cite pseudo legal hurdles, then throw up a plethora of alternatives that have exactly the same pseudo issues. Do you have any idea how much money marketing firms make from scams like this? They charge hundreds of thousands of dollars to go into 'market research', glossy presentations, etc.

They can't afford to listen to the public. If they give the public what they want then there is no way that thier job and costs can be justified. Just look at Scotland's recent tourist branding campaign. Some brainstrust charged $250,000 to come up with the slogan "Welcome to Scotland". There was massive public outrage. Massive. If they had have gone for something more obscure, then suddenly their job could have be justified. The people behind Scotland wern't smart. The people behind the GC clearly are. Suggest names like Ironmen and Guards, conduct your 'research', and then print it on a glossy document for sumission to your commissioners. It doesn't matter if the public hate it.

Thats a rort. The QAFL is nothing like the SANFL. It is based in a developing market. The main reason for the GC team is to attract NEW people to the game. These kind of people would be lucky to know who Southport are, let alone hold a passionate grudge against them.

And in any event, SOUTHPORT IS INVOLVED. If you are going to be alienated by Southport having involvement or ties, then you already have been. It doesnt matter which moniker they are going to use.

Thirdly, Sharks is CLEARLY the most popular choice. Clearly. Not just amoungst us who already have allegances, but amoungst the GC and QLD population. It is baffeling to even suggest that the Sharks will be a deterant when they are having to come up with alternatives like Guards and Ironmen.

The real reason why they wont chose the Sharks is because it will make whever is in charge of marketing look bad. You can't just chose the obvious, most popular choice. So they come up with irrelevant excuses to avoid doing so. The cite pseudo legal hurdles, then throw up a plethora of alternatives that have exactly the same pseudo issues. Do you have any idea how much money marketing firms make from scams like this? They charge hundreds of thousands of dollars to go into 'market research', glossy presentations, etc.

They can't afford to listen to the public. If they give the public what they want then there is no way that thier job and costs can be justified. Just look at Scotland's recent tourist branding campaign. Some brainstrust charged $250,000 to come up with the slogan "Welcome to Scotland". There was massive public outrage. Massive. If they had have gone for something more obscure, then suddenly their job could have be justified. The people behind Scotland wern't smart. The people behind the GC clearly are. Suggest names like Ironmen and Guards, conduct your 'research', and then print it on a glossy document for sumission to your commissioners. It doesn't matter if the public hate it.

Spot on mate.

Explained it better then I could.

Bring on the Sharks:thumbsu:

The name 'Gold Coast Sharks' is owned by another business (RL I believe). There is NO chance of the new AFL team being called GC Sharks. It is that simple. No amount of petitioning will change that, it is a legal issue. It has nothing to do with marketing reasons etc. It is a clear and simple legal reason, no different than the new AFL team trying to call itself The Gold Coast Titans, it can't happen irrelevant of what some people want.

The name 'Gold Coast Sharks' is owned by another business (RL I believe). There is NO chance of the new AFL team being called GC Sharks. It is that simple. No amount of petitioning will change that, it is a legal issue. It has nothing to do with marketing reasons etc. It is a clear and simple legal reason, no different than the new AFL team trying to call itself The Gold Coast Titans, it can't happen irrelevant of what some people want.

Source?

Surely you aren't talking about the touch league team? The AFL could buy them out for five dim sims. Same as how the AFL can buy out the stingrays.

It's inventing excuses.

Depends on the market you see. The new AFL team could probably get away with calling themselves the Gold Coast Titans as they're part of a national market. The NRL on the other hand are not national, and are only played seriously in 2 states.

Remove this Banner Ad

The OFFICIAL Gold Coast Sharks campaign!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back