The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
What would be fair compensation for John Meesen? He's going to be a brilliant AFL ruckman, in many ways he is similar to Josh Fraser due to the fact that he doesn’t often get a ton of hitouts, but he’s extremely mobile and effective around the ground. He can always drift forward and kick the odd goal and he’s one of the smartest players I’ve seen.

He was draft pick 8, and with 2 years development I think we should be looking at a first round draft pick in return. With many Victorian clubs set to be interested, I think there’s a fair chance we’ll be duly compensated and be heading to the 2006 NAB Draft with 2 first rounders.

Re: What Will we Get For Meesen?

Good to see you have come around.

Meesen is as good as back in Victoria. Goooooooooone.

Definetely a first rounder, somthing around 8 to 14.

Or packaged in a trade...who knows really?

Stiffy_18 said:
He'll stay :eek:
I'd like to think so too, because lets face it, I don’t fancy supporting two teams. :D

But as much as it pains me to say I’m afraid he’s as good as gone, our focus now has to be on finding the best compensation. Shattering blow, footy just won’t be the same next year. :(

Quite simply if he does go back, we will get less for him than what he is worth to us. In this scenario, we will once again be bent over.

I still have some hope that he will sign on.

I think one of the middle Victorian team's first round pick eg: Richmond/Geelong/St. Kilda/Collingwood

The first option would be to try and sign him to a new one year deal so he stays in SA and plays for the Crows.

If he decided to go home the AFC should try and trade him to Collingwood for Sean Rusling as we are now in desperate need of a good young forward.

If Collingwood are not willing to do a deal (high unlikely) then we should package him with Brent Reilly and grab a high draft pick. James Sellers would be my pick as he is a potential forward/ruckman and he is from South Australia.

Drummond said:
What would be fair compensation for John Meesen? He's going to be a brilliant AFL ruckman, in many ways he is similar to Josh Fraser due to the fact that he doesn’t often get a ton of hitouts, but he’s extremely mobile and effective around the ground. He can always drift forward and kick the odd goal and he’s one of the smartest players I’ve seen.

He was draft pick 8, and with 2 years development I think we should be looking at a first round draft pick in return. With many Victorian clubs set to be interested, I think there’s a fair chance we’ll be duly compensated and be heading to the 2006 NAB Draft with 2 first rounders.

St Kilda, Carlton, Kangaroos, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond are all in desperate need of a ruckman and Meesen should bring some strong interest, which may prevent the raping that we could expect in most circumstances. The only downside is if he does a Fergus Watts and starts naming the club. Hopefully he does the right thing by the club who put 2 years of development into him.

afc9798 said:
St Kilda, Carlton, Kangaroos, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond are all in desperate need of a ruckman

Those two aren't.

afc9798 said:
The only downside is if he does a Fergus Watts and starts naming the club. Hopefully he does the right thing by the club who put 2 years of development into him.

Definitley a worst case scenario.

How about a package deal, Kingsley, Gardiner and McCarthy for Meeson?

You'd not only get 1 squibbed forward, but 3!

Lets make a few factual points.

1) By not signing by now, there is a strong chance he'll go home, but it isn't guaranteed. There is still the chance he'll sign on, but it aint looking good.

2) Ideally we'd want a top 10 pick for him, regardless of the supposed strength of the draft seeing how we picked him up for pick 8 two years ago.

3) Realistically, we'll probably get bent over. We wont get a top 10 pick for him, no team will offer it. I'd say a pick between 10 and 25, probably late first round or early second round will be the go, depending on how we 'play the game', the number of teams that are interested and how they rate him.

4) Is that type of pick fair ? - probably not, but that's the rules. Whilst there are a number of sh|thouse Vic clubs and the PSD issue we'll never get fair value.

burto said:
How about a package deal, Kingsley, Gardiner and McCarthy for Meeson?

You'd not only get 1 squibbed forward, but 3!

Let me think about that for a second .. No.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drummond said:
Trust me, I know. He is homesick and all signs point to the fact that he is going.

Surely young VB, Rielly, Knights or Big Ivan could have a chat about homesickness

or do first round draft picks some how get this sickness the moment they move to adelaide ?

homesickness is a myth

Am I the only person wondering why we picked two ruckmen in the same draft year? If we didn't pick up Maric, Meese surely would have scored some game time this year and been far less likely to leave. Of course, our future stocks were a little low at the time.

Trade him for pick 8 and pick up Leueueuueuuenebeuerger???? :D

Fair trade would be pick 8, even though this is a strong draft, he has 2 years development in him and most people who've seen him play know that he has come up good (and hopefully would realise how rare that is amongst talls of his calibre). Let's hope there's a bidding war and we get that value. As unlikely as that may be.

Capitalist said:
Surely young VB, Rielly, Knights or Big Ivan could have a chat about homesickness

or do first round draft picks some how get this sickness the moment they move to adelaide ?

homesickness is a myth

I suppose you're always more likely to lose a first rounder as they have some value on the market, and they know it.

crows98 said:
The first option would be to try and sign him to a new one year deal so he stays in SA and plays for the Crows.

If he decided to go home the AFC should try and trade him to Collingwood for Sean Rusling as we are now in desperate need of a good young forward.

If Collingwood are not willing to do a deal (high unlikely) then we should package him with Brent Reilly and grab a high draft pick. James Sellers would be my pick as he is a potential forward/ruckman and he is from South Australia.

crows98, with all due respect, that post smells like blue-red-gold sunnies.

he is gonnneeee.

lets not worry about who were gonna pick if we get a pick from the trade at this stage, as we dont know what sort of trade meesen will be involved in, but yes, i would like to see us package something togethor to get a top 5 pick.

its about time we had one!!!

Gets! said:
Mitch Thorp at the AFC, yes please.

Meesen + 3rd round for pick 4 or 5 :D?
i think itd be more like 2nd or 1st round pick getsarooni.

these top 5 picks are seemingly worth more than the mona lisa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back