The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: What Will we Get For Meesen?

Stanton said:
How about our priority pick 17 and 2nd rounder 19 for Meeson and your 2nd rounder which will be something like 30-33?

So Meeson and pick 30-33 us

You get pick 17 and 19.

We probably wont do this anyway but just asking?

Essentially Meesen for pick 17 and to sweeten it a little in our favour, our 2nd round pick comes down to 19 from 30-33. I'd want a little more but being realistic, that'd be as close as we'll probably get.

GoSarge said:
Essentially Meesen for pick 17 and to sweeten it a little in our favour, our 2nd round pick comes down to 19 from 30-33. I'd want a little more but being realistic, that'd be as close as we'll probably get.

When you think of it that's not about deal. Considering the first 5 will be outstanding, supposedly between pick 5-30 it's pretty even.

GoSarge said:

I think its quite a fair trade, however not sure if we would trade away these picks with our apparent youth policy. We are however in desperate need of a ruckman, Meeson is young and apparently about ready to start rucking in the AFL. Dont think Meeson will go into the pre season draft either but who knows.

HugeBluesFan said:
Carlton will not trade away their first 3 picks, which is likely to be 1, 17 and 19. I hate to say it guys, but I would imagine Carlton would try to secure him through the PSD. Why give up draft picks when you don't have to?

On second thoughts I don't think you will get him in the pre-season draft. With Geelong, Richmond, Saints, Collingwood, Hawthorn all requiring ruckman I reckon a deal will be done. Our best hope is that Geelong, Richmond or Hawthorn are really interested. Otherwise he will go to the Saints or Collingwood with their first pick in the teens.

Gets! said:
Well I hope you are right because he will be a player.

But my source said he is gone.

Experience has told me that when a bigfooty poster says their source told them something, more often than not the opposite happens.
If you got that tip from Cove_Cobra's source, then Meesen will sign a 3 year contract tommorow morning.

The Douche is close to the pot of gold on this one.

The Kid is 85% gone but the club are trying to sway him for a couple more years of service to bump his trade value back up.

He's gone for all money but (from what I've been told)

mcphee_is_a_gun said:
i was just interested why he was so valuable in comparrison to other early draft selections Polak, Bradley, Russell, Rischitelli? ( just using examples of rumoured players that may be on the move).

if you are not taking into account the fact that he is a ruckman, then you have nothing to offer us.

Stanton said:
How about our priority pick 17 and 2nd rounder 19 for Meeson and your 2nd rounder which will be something like 30-33?

So Meeson and pick 30-33 us

You get pick 17 and 19.

We probably wont do this anyway but just asking?
That is the fairest offer I have seen anywhere. Ideally, I would prefer a first round selection (Geelong's #7 would be best), but this one is both fair and realistic.

Pagan has said that Carlton will be going with a youth policy again this year. Meesen is 20, has been in the system for two years and has yet to debut (this week?), that's not inconsistent with a youth policy. He's certainly not a mature age player like Aker, Gardiner or any of the other names being touted.

Carlton would be trading 2x second round picks for a player taken in the first round only two years ago, plus a second round selection. I think they would be happy with that result.

It's win-win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jo172 said:
Those two aren't.

Definitley a worst case scenario.

Yes they are. It's virtually a done deal that Spider is moving on, so they will need a replacement to supplement their stocks. Kangaroos really only have Hale and Mcintosh, neither of who would be considered great prospects.

afc9798 said:
Yes they are. It's virtually a done deal that Spider is moving on, so they will need a replacement to supplement their stocks. Kangaroos really only have Hale and Mcintosh, neither of who would be considered great prospects.
Hale, McIntosh and Brad Moran who got a rising star nomination last week.

Kangaroos are very well off in their ruck department. And just for the record, Hale and McIntosh are very good prospects. Add Moran to the list and there is plenty there to work with.

Stiffy_18 said:

Kangaroos are very well off in their ruck department. And just for the record, Hale and McIntosh are very good prospects. Add Moran to the list and there is plenty there to work with.
They may not have a strong ruck division NOW, but they do have good developing ruckmen - which is precisely what Meesen is. Have to agree, North won't be one of the suitors looking to take Meesen off our hands.

It sucks that Meese might be going. He was the best rated ruckmen in the '04 draft, and we got him. Another top 10 pick leaving the AFC, I better hope not. What's the whole point in drafting vics, if they keep going? If we were to trade Meesen away, we should be after a ready-made player not someone we have to develop.

This guy is a gem, that's been on our list for two years, he's been a little slow, but that's expected of ruckmen. We're just going in reverse, if we keep trading away our first round draftees year after year. We won't go anywhere. Something needs to be done about this, either drafting SA players, OR playing our vic pics in their 1st or 2nd year, so we can get GREAT deals out of them when they decide to go to their mummys.

If Mees played 10+ fairly good games in the last two years at the crows then he might even be a straight swap for a top #5 pick at this time. Think about it, he was taken at #8 in 04, his had 3 AFL pre-seasons plus 2 years of development.

Now if we trade him, I don't think we'd be the same value his really worth, he hasn't played a game for us yet.

But anyway, that's just my opinion, it just really ****es me of that the high draft picks we get, tend to move on. I think there's only been two of late...ferg and mees, but that is TWO too many considering we hardly get picks like these.

earlsta said:
It sucks that Meese might be going. He was the best rated ruckmen in the '04 draft, and we got him. Another top 10 pick leaving the AFC, I better hope not. What's the whole point in drafting vics, if they keep going? If we were to trade Meesen away, we should be after a ready-made player not someone we have to develop.

This guy is a gem, that's been on our list for two years, he's been a little slow, but that's expected of ruckmen. We're just going in reverse, if we keep trading away our first round draftees year after year. We won't go anywhere. Something needs to be done about this, either drafting SA players, OR playing our vic pics in their 1st or 2nd year, so we can get GREAT deals out of them when they decide to go to their mummys.

If Mees played 10+ fairly good games in the last two years at the crows then he might even be a straight swap for a top #5 pick at this time. Think about it, he was taken at #8 in 04, his had 3 AFL pre-seasons plus 2 years of development.

Now if we trade him, I don't think we'd be the same value his really worth, he hasn't played a game for us yet.

But anyway, that's just my opinion, it just really ****es me of that the high draft picks we get, tend to move on. I think there's only been two of late...ferg and mees, but that is TWO too many considering we hardly get picks like these.
Drafting exclusively SA players is NOT teh answer. You still have to go with the best available.

As for playing them, how would that improve their value? It can go teh other way as well. Play him too early, he struggles and then his value is MUCH lower than now.

Fergus Watts played 5 games for us (all in his first year) and that didn't improve his trade value one bit.

Yep, you'd have to try and draft the best available players most def, but if they keep leaving then what?

We're going to dig ourselves in a hole...angwin, watts, maybe meese.

That's two and maybe 3 first rounders that have left our club.
It's not good enough, because with the trades we get back we're going to have to develop another player. Which leads to more time.

If we trade Meese away, we need to obtain a ready made player, just like S Thompson two years ago for stinga + trades.

We're just going in reverse if we trade high picks, for another high pick two years down the track that we have to spend time on developing, you get my point?

Truck Rutten said:
Gets reckons he's a dud, but does anyone else have an opinion on Russell?

West Adelaide boy, taken with the very next pick after we took Meesen. 188cm midfielder. Played 10 games this year.

Has a good hairstyle on him, if nothing else: http://carltonfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=players&spg=playerprofile&personid=352254
I think we would look at it if he came cheaply. He has struggled since he got drafted. He has nice size and genuine pace but I am not sure where or how he would fit in with us.

We would look at it but not for the price of Meesen IMHO.

earlsta said:
Yep, you'd have to try and draft the best available players most def, but if they keep leaving then what?

We're going to dig ourselves in a hole...angwin, watts, maybe meese.

That's two and maybe 3 first rounders that have left our club.
It's not good enough, because with the trades we get back we're going to have to develop another player. Which leads to more time.

If we trade Meese away, we need to obtain a ready made player, just like S Thompson two years ago for stinga + trades.

We're just going in reverse if we trade high picks, for another high pick two years down the track that we have to spend time on developing, you get my point?
Losing players is a concerning trend no doubt but what is the answer. Trading for ready made players is a quick fix we have taken all too often in the past and it hasn't worked out well for us. We need to get young talent to develop and if that means taking a backward step to go forward then so be it.

We got Thompson becuase Craig said we want an experienced player in return for Stinger. Thats why we traded away that pick and we did the right thing. We lost Watts for Pfeiffer in the end. He is a local lad with a bright future.

I think we need to look into our own backyard a bit more and see what we are doing well and what we could improve on. Drafting exclusively local kids and trading for ready made players is not neccessarily the answer. If the ready made player in question is someone like Cooney or Griffen or Pavlich then sure go for it but that player has to be someone that you can build the team around. Not another good but nothing more type player.

Stiffy_18 said:

Disagree with Hale and McIntosh being great prospects, but that's my right as is yours to disagree. They may even consider trading one of the two, if they thought that Meesen was a better prospect. Sure it's not a priority, but they are certainly still a potential suitor for Meesen. Don't want to get hung up on semantics, as the point I was making is that there are plenty of clubs who would want and need Meesen and the only thing that could screw us is if he does a Watts.

Stiffy_18 said:
I think we would look at it if he came cheaply. He has struggled since he got drafted. He has nice size and genuine pace but I am not sure where or how he would fit in with us.

We would look at it but not for the price of Meesen IMHO.

Cheers Stiff. I can't recall seeing him play myself.

I wouldnt even trade a second rounder for Russell.

He is soft, never gets contested ball and makes so many mistakes it's not funny.

Truck Rutten, see if you can watch a Carlton game where he is playing, 110%you will agree with me.

The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back