The OFFICIAL "Trade Week is Boring" Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Trade period is a waste of time and is boring

Nope. It would take for ever and occupy too much time.

Extending it would not make any difference because you'd still have the 'one big trade' holding everything up, as it did with Hawks and Sydney over Spider a few years back.

The reality is that clubs are greedy and wait for the last minute to call each other's bluff.

Trade period should at least include draft day. Let teams know what is actually available at a pick before trading, rather than have them guess.

Take the Warnock/Carlton trade. We're offering pick 24. If a player Freo really like is available at 24, that trade probably gets done. If no-one they especially like is there, then it doesn't.

You would get a lot more teams trading up and down for picks as well.

To me having a system that allows clubs to replace injured players and gives players a chance at a new club would make for interesting times. The trade period we have ends too many players careers

Trade period should at least include draft day. Let teams know what is actually available at a pick before trading, rather than have them guess.

Take the Warnock/Carlton trade. We're offering pick 24. If a player Freo really like is available at 24, that trade probably gets done. If no-one they especially like is there, then it doesn't.

You would get a lot more teams trading up and down for picks as well.

The only way that could work is if the draft started on Monday and went to the end of the trade period. Melbourne would see what they could get for #1, and if they don't like it, they can pick.

So few trades get done and even fewer blockbuster trades get done.
Extend the trade period from now till round 8 allowing teams to address needs and allow players who are in the 2nds to get a senior games elsewhere

nah mate, just no

Perhaps it does need to be longer but you wouldn't get many more trades. Having a system where trades are finalised during the season is stupid IMO. Having a trade month, might be a good idea but it wouldn't really increase the amount of trades that much.

Club lists are pretty small compared to other sports (like NFL) and the salary cap is very restrictive, this means it's very hard to facilitate trades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurry Up First Trade!!!!

Am i the only one who has been looking forward to this week and again been a little disapointed with the lack of excitment the first couple of days of this years trade week.

For me personally (and a couple of my mates HI CORELLI!!) trade week is the most entertaining week of the year, we all read up on what will be happening months before the week starts, and we all know that 90% of it is just crap, but we usually get one trade on the first day, or at worst one by midday day two.

So to all those at the TD, please hurry up!! even if its delisted Hugh Minson to the bulldogs for pick 156, i don't care, give me something!!!!!

Re: Hurry Up First Trade!!!!

Am i the only one who has been looking forward to this week and again been a little disapointed with the lack of excitment the first couple of days of this years trade week.

For me personally (and a couple of my mates HI CORELLI!!) trade week is the most entertaining week of the year, we all read up on what will be happening months before the week starts, and we all know that 90% of it is just crap, but we usually get one trade on the first day, or at worst one by midday day two.

So to all those at the TD, please hurry up!! even if its delisted Hugh Minson to the bulldogs for pick 156, i don't care, give me something!!!!!
Same as every year there are tones of Trade Rumors from about the last month and 95% are just Made up but Like 2006 with the Super Draft no one is Willing to trade draft picks and Player for Player trades are Rare these days

The AFL website not having the 'Trade Tracker' like they have previously is a pain. Is this due to the line on the web: "...no trades are official until paperwork has been accepted by the AFL and formally recognised after 2pm on Friday, October 10".

I take this to mean that even if trades are agreed, they won't be listed until after 2pm on Friday...so anything we read before then could just be speculation?

Uh, if you get excited for it every year, wouldn't you realise that it's basically not worth tracking until Friday every year?

yea i feel your pain buddy. i love trade week with a passion and have been sitting at my computer for the last 2 days anxious to findout whos going where and hoping my team down at punt road will pick a few up. my patience is wearing thin i carnt take it anymore let the trades flow..... its gana be awesome on friday when there coming through like every half hour or so. im not sure if there doing it this year but last year sen was at the dome for the whole day an ran a live feed and told you each trade as it happened and got an interview with a lot of the players changing clubs so hopefully they do the same this year it was very exciting.

Mate, the script for Trade Week usually goes ...

One mid-level trade late Wednesday involving a player no-one cares about and a nothing draft pick.

99% of trades at lunch time Friday.

Three trades about five minutes after the trade deadline has expired because someone went in the wrong door or couldn't work a fax machine.

The AFL website not having the 'Trade Tracker' like they have previously is a pain. Is this due to the line on the web: "...no trades are official until paperwork has been accepted by the AFL and formally recognised after 2pm on Friday, October 10".

I take this to mean that even if trades are agreed, they won't be listed until after 2pm on Friday...so anything we read before then could just be speculation?

Has been like that since as far as I can remember. Though a trade would only be refused in an extreme situation, so can't see it having much of an impact.

Was hoping we'd have some action by now, but trade week is crawling along (as it does every year).

Remove this Banner Ad

The OFFICIAL "Trade Week is Boring" Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back