The on topic thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wealth gap was nowhere near what it was before states started buying up clubs.
Ahh so there's some arbitrary figure that was an acceptable difference before that's now been crossed?

I mean, you see how the argument is a bit silly right.

Ahh so there's some arbitrary figure that was an acceptable difference before that's now been crossed?

I mean, you see how the argument is a bit silly right.

Who's quoting an arbitrary figure?

Governments and their representatives should not be involved in funding a football club. Simple as that. Would you accept Albanese buying an NRL club in Australia and having every government owned business sponsoring the club for tens of millions of dollars? I bet if that scenario was to happen you would personally be pretty pissed at it.

That's literally how the oil clubs are run. We never had that issue in the past in football and hopefully at some stage in the future we can get rid of ownership models linked to oppressive governments. You have to admit that's not a good thing for the game.

Who's quoting an arbitrary figure?

Governments and their representatives should not be involved in funding a football club. Simple as that. Would you accept Albanese buying an NRL club in Australia and having every government owned business sponsoring the club for tens of millions of dollars? I bet if that scenario was to happen you would personally be pretty pissed at it.

That's literally how the oil clubs are run. We never had that issue in the past in football and hopefully at some stage in the future we can get rid of ownership models linked to oppressive governments. You have to admit that's not a good thing for the game.
That's a terrible comparison as there's a salary cap in that sport. They could pump 3 trillion into an NRL club and it wouldn't allow them a roster benefit.

I agree it's not a good thing for the game but not because of the financial differences. If your concerns were just where the money was coming from, I'd 100% agree with you.

That's a terrible comparison as there's a salary cap in that sport. They could pump 3 trillion into an NRL club and it wouldn't allow them a roster benefit.

I agree it's not a good thing for the game but not because of the financial differences. If your concerns were just where the money was coming from, I'd 100% agree with you.

My concerns are governments being involved in the game. You've got PSG getting Macron & the emir of Qatar leaning on Mbappe to not leave the club.

Fair enough on NRL comparison not being the best.

How about if Albanese had of bought Chelsea and had Australian government owned businesses sponsor it to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars?

Would you be ok with that?

Because that's exactly what happens with Newcastle, PSG & City.

My concerns are governments being involved in the game. You've got PSG getting Macron & the emir of Qatar leaning on Mbappe to not leave the club.

Fair enough on NRL comparison not being the best.

How about if Albanese had of bought Chelsea and had Australian government owned businesses sponsor it to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars?

Because that's exactly what happens with Newcastle, PSG & City.
Until there's rulings to stop it, yes. It's up to the PL to stop that.

Until there's rulings to stop it, yes. It's up to the PL to stop that.

Agreed. Forcing Abramovich out for being a Putin collaborator is a good start.

You would imagine Newcastle / Man City ownership are also forced out in the same manner as Abramovich if Saudi Arabia / Abu Dhabi are caught committing an atrocity.

Agreed. Forcing Abramovich out for being a Putin collaborator is a good start.

You would imagine Newcastle / Man City ownership are also forced out in the same manner as Abramovich if Saudi Arabia / Abu Dhabi are caught committing an atrocity.
Well, look at what the Saudis are doing in Yemen. Nothing wi be done because the UK government have their hands in the Saudi's pockets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a football supporter, couldn't care less.

As an Australian, as long as the sponsorships are value for money, couldn't care less. If the sponsorships weren't value for money then I would have an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back