The questions and answers to all things VAFA over the Summer...watch this space!

Remove this Banner Ad

bob down said:
Very harsh, Chardy receives many calls from clubs, as do most State CHF's, but has remained loyal to SKOB. No reason why that will change. You OX people need to stay in your clique and try to convince Heebie Graham to stay on for his 'easy' premiership.

A 'clique' that breeds success is better than one that attracts half-committed has-beens like the one at SKOBS.

When the going gets tough SKOBS drop divisions.

Please God, don't let this thread become another SKOB -v- Xavs slanging match because:

1. we know who will win; and
2. it's an old chestnut which should be laid to rest.

Onto other matters, I believe, from bob's list that Hackett will stay - after all he started in the McGoos and was a solid senior contributor. Not sure about Graham staying, but I'd back Moldini in a fist fight with Nicho (who may have to fight dirty to survive). Harsh call on Flemo, as I think Tim's hardness will be an asset to Xavs over the next few years. If Tristan Beranger goes back to Old Camberwell, then Jars may go too, in which case I'd have the OC as a good thing for B Grade in 2008.

James Heritage is a flawed genius with a massive social network. No doubt his move to Collegians was stymied by injury, but he's popular and knows which side his bread is buttered on. The only way he wouldn't get on the park for the Lions next season is if Big Cat Walsh was prowling their goalsquare instead - and that ain't gunna happen.

George Haros shouldn't spoil his great record as a highly respected ex-Hoer by coming out of retirement
According to Harry Costello, the Blacks are consolidating their list without looking to poach, Scribe 2 is a massive disappointment on many levels and will never post again.

Tommy Brain is sad he's not getting stalked by NOB/COBs people, and so am I, because I'd rather they hassle him too.

Ivanhoe Assumption and Richmond Centrals are both rebuilding..... for while yet. How far away are Ivanhoe Assumption from oblivion?

Rupertswood are a good chance to keep most of their players now they're up to C Grade, and Handley has reversed the trend with PEGS. As for Strathmore, well if you're not getting $400 a game, then you might as well play at Bernies.
Dean Rice is gone - for sure - but Price will rise again without Beranger, who was dropped for 'team balance'. Dave Murray won't coach the U23s but Mark Murray might.
SKOB will shut the back door and start climbing back up, and finally the VFL reserves is not a patch on A Grade so any player who isn't a realistic chance at VFL seniors should stick with their mates and play against men week in/out.

Phew - that's enough for the entire summer, but there's one more burning question....when will Brianspeaking return for our entertainment????

Phew - that's enough for the entire summer, but there's one more burning question....when will Brianspeaking return for our entertainment????[/quote]

Scribe, very impressive, I can see how you now got the C Grade journo gig.
In answer to the most important question of whether Brian will return...keep posted, or posting.

bob down said:
Very harsh, Chardy receives many calls from clubs, as do most State CHF's, but has remained loyal to SKOB. No reason why that will change. You OX people need to stay in your clique and try to convince Heebie Graham to stay on for his 'easy' premiership.

Bob, lets make a bet. I guarantee you that Chard will walk from St Kevs. He will show himself to be the disloyal cat that most people think him to be. Hopefully for those guys he will put an end to this stuff by committing to his mates and club now, but as I said before, I have heard he loves the attention...and is greedy $$$$$. We will take him at Xavs though, we need a CHF for our second clubbies side.
Any Old Hailebury fellas jumping off the bandwagon Bob?

Scribe said:
Ivanhoe Assumption and Richmond Centrals are both rebuilding..... for a while yet. How far away are Ivanhoe Assumption from oblivion?

Ivanhoe will be returning to their roots and loose the Assumption name next season. They will also be merging with the very strong Ivanhoe junior football club in an attempt to bring good young kids through and with that they will definetly not go of into the oblivion!

King Hoe said:
Ivanhoe will be returning to their roots and loose the Assumption name next season. They will also be merging with the very strong Ivanhoe junior football club in an attempt to bring good young kids through and with that they will definetly not go of into the oblivion!

Sorry - that was a cut/paste error. The reference to Ivanhoe going into oblivion was from an earlier post (which I forgot to delete). I heard there was 'rebuilding' going on and things would be progressing in 2007. That's where my input stops.

bob down said:

Interesting comment on Graham. I played on him earlier in the year. He shook my hand before the game (which I was pretty stoked at as a Hawthorn supporter), and said to me "I hope you don't plan on going near it cos I'm not"

Xavs beat us by 100 points but he was true to his word and didn't go near it.

In regard to the earlier comment about Bernards poaching Strathmore players, can you mention some names? The only ones I can think of are guys who played junior footy at Strathmore but went to school at Bernards and were sons of Bernards old collegians. So were very much St Bernards people with lots of mates down here. We have got a couple in the U/19's who are still 17y.o (and go to the school) and if you've ever had the displeasure of sitting through an EDFL u/18 game, you wouldn't blame them for coming and playing decent footy in the ammos.I think you'll find there are lots of people with Bernards and Strathmore ties and you can't blame them for seeing the light and getting out of the EDFL.

Not to mention that Strathmore's marquee recruit and 100 goalkicker this year on $1K per game was St Bernards born and bred.

In regard to the comment about poaching Rupo players. Yes we've had a good run the last few years, but you can't blame these guys for wanting to play A grade. Potter came out of the VFL so wanted to continue playing at the highest level he could. The Jordans have played cricket at Bernards for years so the links were there.

In regard to Bernards poaching PEGS players. Can you blame anyone for wanting to leave PEGS? Count the number of players from PEGS who have played for Bernards (can think of Goullet, Uren and Teal just off the top of my head, plus the coach) and I think you'll find they have done more poaching of us than we have done of them.

Joe Dirt said:
In regard to Bernards poaching PEGS players. Can you blame anyone for wanting to leave PEGS? Count the number of players from PEGS who have played for Bernards (can think of Goullet, Uren and Teal just off the top of my head, plus the coach) and I think you'll find they have done more poaching of us than we have done of them.

Think you will find that Goullet was captain of PEGS First XVIII, Teal and Uren both went to PEGS, Andrew and Adam Merrington are 2 others, Motel front man Luca Miceli as well!!

Noticed that Jesse Uren kept Hollywood Harvey to only 2 kicks in the EDFL grand final. Expensive kicks at $500 a pop!!

Slay Master G said:
Think you will find that Goullet was captain of PEGS First XVIII, Teal and Uren both went to PEGS, Andrew and Adam Merrington are 2 others, Motel front man Luca Miceli as well!!

Noticed that Jesse Uren kept Hollywood Harvey to only 2 kicks in the EDFL grand final. Expensive kicks at $500 a pop!!

There's money than sense in the EDFL. $1k a game for Altona Harvey? Amazing.

Eddie Woloschek said:
There's money than sense in the EDFL. $1k a game for Altona Harvey? Amazing.

Altona Harvey kicking 100+ goals in the EDFL is the ultimate statement to shut up the rodents who come on this forum and pump up the EDFL's tyres.

He would not go close to 100 goals in the ammos, unless there were 35-40 rounds scheduled a season.

Joe Dirt said:
Interesting comment on Graham. I played on him earlier in the year. He shook my hand before the game (which I was pretty stoked at as a Hawthorn supporter), and said to me "I hope you don't plan on going near it cos I'm not"

Xavs beat us by 100 points but he was true to his word and didn't go near it.

In regard to the earlier comment about Bernards poaching Strathmore players, can you mention some names? The only ones I can think of are guys who played junior footy at Strathmore but went to school at Bernards and were sons of Bernards old collegians. So were very much St Bernards people with lots of mates down here. We have got a couple in the U/19's who are still 17y.o (and go to the school) and if you've ever had the displeasure of sitting through an EDFL u/18 game, you wouldn't blame them for coming and playing decent footy in the ammos.I think you'll find there are lots of people with Bernards and Strathmore ties and you can't blame them for seeing the light and getting out of the EDFL.

Not to mention that Strathmore's marquee recruit and 100 goalkicker this year on $1K per game was St Bernards born and bred.

In regard to the comment about poaching Rupo players. Yes we've had a good run the last few years, but you can't blame these guys for wanting to play A grade. Potter came out of the VFL so wanted to continue playing at the highest level he could. The Jordans have played cricket at Bernards for years so the links were there.

Cant argue with any of those points Joe...you make too much sense for this board!

Plumber said:
Altona Harvey kicking 100+ goals in the EDFL is the ultimate statement to shut up the rodents who come on this forum and pump up the EDFL's tyres.

He would not go close to 100 goals in the ammos, unless there were 35-40 rounds scheduled a season.

The most Hollywood kicked in a year was around mid 50s to early 60s, including a finals series. Most he kicked in a game for Box Hill, sorry, Hawthorn, as would tell the girls, is 3 once. Still a fair effort to kick the ton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slay Master G said:

Am aware of Goullets history and that he is very much involved with PEGS. But I think you'll also find that he also played footy at Bernards from the age of 9 all the way up to this year.
Teal played all his junior footy at Bernards.
Uren spent some time (albeit very brief) at the school, his brother went to the school for the last couple of years, and he was told by the VFL club (Willy or Werribee can't remember) to find an A grade club.
Miceli played junior footy at bernards.
My only thought on the Merringtons would be that they both had higher aspirations and were more likely to reach them playing in A grade.

A common theme here is A grade. Some people want to play the highest level they can, some aren't fussed. My point was that all of the mentioned had significant ties to Bernards before they played senior footy here. So for that reason nobody could really call it poaching.

On Air said:
Might be time Garlic actually committed to SKOB if he 'plays'

Garlick is trying to further his career and be a father to 2 youngens as priorities 1 and 2. Work can take him away on weekends.
Will play if life, work and family commitments permit.
Nothing wrong with that!

Bob

Saw the retiring Scott brother down at several Collegians games during the year to watch his good mate Benny Robbins.

Could it be that he will join him at the Trott, adding to an already impressive Lions list...?

Slay Master G said:
Bob

Saw the retiring Scott brother down at several Collegians games during the year to watch his good mate Benny Robbins.

Could it be that he will join him at the Trott, adding to an already impressive Lions list...?

No chance SMG, he has green, gold and blue blood...

bob down said:
No chance SMG, he has green, gold and blue blood...

Well Bob, have heard and had confirmed that your 'loyal' DVC Chard is heading to Pyramid Hill to boost his ego by dominating feral farm boys. Obviously thinks SKOB does indeed suck. Will he attend your B&F? I doubt it...

Slay Master G said:
Bob

Page 76 of Herald Sun confirms Brad Scott is working with Collingwood. Is there time for SKOB's?

jogger said:
And Black and White... He's signed with collingwood in a coaching role.

Stop making things up Bob Down.

Since when has player development been classified as match day coaching? Scotty will play at SKOB, obviously not every week, much like Steinfort at OH.

I talk you listen said:
Well Bob, have heard and had confirmed that your 'loyal' DVC Chard is heading to Pyramid Hill to boost his ego by dominating feral farm boys. Obviously thinks SKOB does indeed suck. Will he attend your B&F? I doubt it...

Didnt think Old Xavs cared about SKOB now they are at the bottom of B? Chard may in fact go, who knows, would be a massive loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

The questions and answers to all things VAFA over the Summer...watch this space!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back